Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #365 - Tools
Posted By: Tamia, 09-26-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks to Noel, I have the honor of hosting this week's Weekly Challenge. I love tools, especially classic ones and tools that don't need a battery/petrol. All kinds of tools are important to us. We use them every day, from slicing vegetables for dinner with a knife, to writing out the shopping list with a pen and paper, to turning a wrench and tightening the valve core on our bike's tire tubes... well, perhaps not everyone has a leaky valve requiring tightening. But you get my point. Brownie points for showing tools in use, and if the tool you're showing is an obscure one, feel free to enlighten us as to how it's used.

The Challenge will close on Sunday 2 October, midnight in your time Zone, and I'll try to get the judging done on Monday morning.

The Rules

1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Ricoh DSLR ) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, then the winner will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Some examples:

Compass They show the way. (An example of photoelastic birefringence)

Toothbrush Make your teeth healthy! (more photoelastic birefringence)

Filter Wrenches Need I say more?

Chain Tool and Wrench Bike mechanics routinely remove cassettes with them.

Views: 1,399
09-26-2016, 01:25 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I start with an obscure one - a tool that is created when needed and destroyed when the work is done.

A blacksmith needs - besides hammer and anvil - a decent forge with a pair of bellows to generate enough heat for his work.
A wandering blacksmith cannot always afford to transport a mobile forge, so there must be a different way.

The most common forge is stationary, part of a building.
Mobile forges are usually large and heavy - not that easy to transport. This was even more the case when horses and carriages were _the_ way of transport.

For a poor travelling blacksmith there was one way to get the job done: Build a forge each time when needed.
The pair of bellows is still required, but this is easier to transport.
For the rest, soil or better (sandy) clay is all you need.

Here it is (the pair of bellows is on the right side):

When you look at the long sides, you will see that the shape of the wall is not the same on both sides.
The wall on the opposite side is pretty much vertical - to reflect some of the air which helps to create a zone of intense heat.

Michael
09-27-2016, 05:47 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to enter the below picture. It is some kind of tackle that used to be used in the port of Port el Kantaoui in Tunisia a long time ago.
Since then it dropped into the sea and gave this nice opportunity to take a photo.

Richard
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Dental Floss

This guy actually did have a string or something similar that he was cleaning his teeth with.

Last edited by slowpez; 11-26-2016 at 07:59 AM.
09-28-2016, 11:20 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pegboard as kitchen tool organizer

My wife requested my help to organize kitchen tools in the limited space of our kitchen. Here is the result.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
09-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Terrific entries so far, folks! A nice wide range of tools. There's plenty of room for more, everyone!
09-30-2016, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

From the The Elgin County Railway Museum in St.Thomas, Ontario, Canada.
There are some large antique tools here, some are recognizable in their function, and some are not. Some look like garden tools but most certainly had never left the repair shops. The interesting ones are leaning up against the wall. All purpose built for running or maintaining steam locomotives. Some were probably for maintaining the rails on which these steel behemoths rode upon. Tools that most definitely would require strength to use and probably in dangerous work environments. No high viability yellow shirts back then, nor ear protection and the air was a bit harsh on the lungs (although they probably all smoked back then). Even the design and manufacturing of the tools themselves were of a different time, a time when hands made hand tools.
The facility was completed in 1913 and was part of the Michigan Central Railroad locomotive shops as well as extensive servicing facilities on the Canadian Southern Railway.

Last edited by LondonWombat; 10-01-2016 at 07:41 AM.
10-02-2016, 04:02 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not exactly the kind of tool that is available commercially. This is an eyelid retractor, and used by eye surgeons. My other tool images are not just good enough.
10-02-2016, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water sprinkler on steroids
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-02-2016, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really have far to many tools. Hundreds easily, but it was a hard decision on what to shoot. I thought I might use my Granddad's old electric circular saw, from the 1940's or 50s, and I still occasionally use it. Or a hand saw that belonged to my wife's grandfather. Or other old tools that belonged to my Dad. Those old hand tools have something about them. In the end I decided to use the tools that I probably use the most, common household tools.
10-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This contest is now CLOSED.

I'll post winners sometime today. Thanks to everyone who entered!