Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
patrickhenryhague

disk size 8 vs. 25 for a K-50

I am new to this. I just received a Pentax K-50 and would like to know the benefits of using SanDisk Ultra PLUS SDHC UHS card 32GB up to 80MB/s (whatever all this means) over a Kingston SD HC 8GB 10? I have both and have been using the Kingston. The SanDisk is new, never been used and still in its package. I also understand that there is a way to transfer images from my camera to my I phone and my ipad with the right disk are any of my disks correct for this? I'm getting to be an old (74 yrs.) man because of all this new stuff I cannot understand. HELP!

09-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The SanDisc has 4 times the storage space of the Kingston card. 80MB/sec in the read speed (how fast the computer can read data from the card). Write speed (how fast the camera can write data to the memory card) is slower, but fast enough for the K-50. These items are not called disks, they are called memory cards. Or SD cards.
09-29-2016, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
No worries, let's just clear things up
First, these are SD cards and they are not actually "disks" - just refer to them as cards. Second, 8BG and 32GB is a big difference in capacity. The 32GB card can store 4x as many photos as the 8GB card. This difference is quite big and can come in handy if you go on a long trip or take a lot of video. Most people still prefer to fill smaller SD cards first, because you lose fewer photos in case of card failure or loss. The GB number is the total capacity. The speed can be important, but with modern class 10 or UHS-1 cards it is enough. Older cards that might be class 6 or class 4 can require extra time between photos, which can slow down burst mode photography.
I have been photographing for a while and have never filled a 32GB card. I rarely even filled 16GB cards, only on journey that last more than a week. When you are taking photos, there is a little number in the bottom right of the LCD screen, which is a rough estimate of how many more photos you can take with that card (as in, number of frames left). If you switch the two cards, the number will show you the difference in the cards.

Transferring from camera directly to phone is more complicated and I have never tried it myself. I think this depends on the kind of phone you have, so maybe you can start with telling us that (full phone model name, and possibly the Operating system version, if you can find it).
That said, I would still recommend you transfer photos to your computer first. Then only move the selected few photos to the phone from there.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-29-2016 at 02:43 PM.
09-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the technical info is spelled out in this guide if you want to take a look:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If you'd like a card that can transfer directly to your phone, you'll need an eye-fi card or a similar card with wi-fi. As for general-purpose use, the cards you have are good enough, though you one day you might want to get a sandisk extreme card for a bit more speed (and/or storage).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: