Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Has Pentax discontinued the Q10?

Greetings. I just bought a Q10 + 02 kit lens and fisheye for traveling so the K-R can stay home.
It will be delivered later today.

I see that several retailers now show it as Discontinued or Out of Stock. Is there anything official
on this? I've checked the Pentax-Imaging site and they are still showing it for sale.

I bought it while looking for a fisheye for the K-R and saw that I could buy the Q10+kit zoom plus
the Q-mounfisheye for less than a fisheye alone for the K-R and I've wanted a smaller camera for traveling
for some time. There was a $200 instant rebate one the Q10 kit. Yes, I know there will be image quality trades.

MJC

02-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it's discontinued, but Pentax rarely announces when it happens.

The best way to tell if a product is on its way out is to see if MAP is still in effect. If retailers are putting up special sale prices much lower than MSRP, it's usually because they're trying to clear their stock after MAP is dropped.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It depends what we mean by 'discontinued'. Only the manufacturer can decide when to discontinue production, but it is still advertised on the manufacturers websites.
Pentax/Ricoh US ► Digital Cameras by RICOH IMAGING
Pentax/Ricoh UK ► Digital Mirrorless - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
Pentax/Ricoh AU ► https://www.pentax.com.au/shop/hybrid-cameras
Pentax/Ricoh JP ► Q10 | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The best way to tell if a product is on its way out is to see if MAP is still in effect.
MAP ??
02-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It depends what we mean by 'discontinued'. Only the manufacturer can decide when to discontinue production, but it is still advertised on the manufacturers websites.
Pentax/Ricoh US ► Digital Cameras by RICOH IMAGING
Pentax/Ricoh UK ► Digital Mirrorless - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
Pentax/Ricoh AU ► https://www.pentax.com.au/shop/hybrid-cameras
Pentax/Ricoh JP ► Q10 | RICOH IMAGING

MAP ??
MAP = Minimum Advertised Price.

02-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The q10 is selling at 199 at the moment, about a third of the launch price from just over a year ago. That's a pretty good indicator that it's being phased out.

The same applies to the k5 ii, af360 flash, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The same applies to the k5 ii.
Maybe in Americaland, but it's still close to the the price as the K-3 here
02-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a horrible business, having to discount your price by 2/3 only a year after launch! I thought auto depreciation was bad, but cameras -- ouch. Given the price cuts, it is remarkable that the cameras are so well-made ... you'd think that they would be designed quickly and sloppily just to speed up the product cycle.

Steve -- to get prices as low as America's, you have to get your government to look the other way when 20,000,000 Mexicans show up, go to work, and pay taxes... plus they pay into Social Security even though they won't get any benefits -- they all use fake names. But I think we have lower prices because we have so many more people than Australia... does that make sense?

02-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Not really, the original Q and K-01 were discounted here during close to the same period, which is how I ended up with one of each.
03-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of cameras are now on clearance prices in Japan now. K-5 II, Q10, K-01 (blue), K30. The Q7 is pretty cheap now too. The X-5 and GXR are very scarce now.

Actually, the K-01 briefly shot up to 7th place among all ILCs in some sales charts last month.