Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice!
04-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks again, all. My goal this year is to get a cover with the Q…I've just got to remember to set up the shot for portrait and I think that I'll be able to do it!

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Does the fisheye ever cause problems with fast moving shots and the electronic 1/13 shutter speed? Do you ever use the new Pentax ultra wide zoom?
I'm not sure what 1/13 limit you are speaking of, as I can shoot faster than 1/13 with the fisheye. That lede shot is 1/320, fast enough to keep me sharp, with the fisheye helping to create a sense of movement on the pavement in the lower left. I haven't used the ultra wide zoom yet; I don't own one. The ultra-light weight of the fisheye along with the Q helps control camera shake; the photo on the bottom of page 97 has the Q mounted on a monopod about 3' above my shoulders where the monopod is attached to the backpack. We're probably moving 30-40mph here, so the Q has to deal with wind while at the end of a 3' arm. And here's what the top of my helmet looks like at 100% (attached blow). It's pretty darn sharp considering the circumstances (I only sharpened it a touch in Lightroom), and as you can see, good enough for publication. Did I submit other shots that were sharper and technically better? Sure, but this helps tell the story in a unique way.

This shot is also an example of the benefits of a small sensor-not only is the top of my helmet sharp, but the rest of the scene is pretty sharp too. To get this shot with a DSLR or even a Micro Four-Thirds camera would have required much more support to hold the heavier camera steady, stopping down significantly to get as much in acceptable focus as possible, and likely bumping up the ISO to maintain a fast enough shutter speed. For this kind of application, there are very few tools that are right for the job. The Q is mine.
Attached Images

04-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Great work. Inspirational and a great use of the fish-eye. My favourite lens on the Q.

05-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
wax
Forum Member

Hey, you don´t have a D4s?
Very inspirational. Congratulation.
08-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was half asleep when I read this but it woke me up. I have had a video camera mounted on my Honda Valkyrie Interstate for some of our Colorado trips but the next time out I will have to mount the Q7 and give it a try. Probably go with the 01 prime lens. Don't forget to have a filter on the front of the camera incase something hits it. Nice work. Road Runner is the only magazine I buy. I do not subscribe but I do pick up a copy occassionally when they do a tour of an area I am interested in. I like the Shamrock tours. I see you also use a K-5. Same here.

Denny
08-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I was half asleep when I read this but it woke me up. I have had a video camera mounted on my Honda Valkyrie Interstate for some of our Colorado trips but the next time out I will have to mount the Q7 and give it a try. Probably go with the 01 prime lens. Don't forget to have a filter on the front of the camera incase something hits it. Nice work. Road Runner is the only magazine I buy. I do not subscribe but I do pick up a copy occassionally when they do a tour of an area I am interested in. I like the Shamrock tours. I see you also use a K-5. Same here.

Denny
Ok, tell me you do not also dabble in R/C and John Deere, because we have the same hobbies for some reason...Pentax cameras, model trains, Honda(Ace 750, XL350, XL175, XL125 here). R/C is fun too...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
08-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Ok, tell me you do not also dabble in R/C and John Deere, because we have the same hobbies for some reason...Pentax cameras, model trains, Honda(Ace 750, XL350, XL175, XL125 here). R/C is fun too...
No besides my heavy investment in trains, reflected by my WEB site, and my 44 year old interest in motorcycle touring via my Honda Magna or Valkyrie Interstate, I held several offices and was past president of our local Classic Chevy club. I still have my 55 Belair Hardtop which I restored and a C4 and C5 Corvette. No time to devote to RC though I have an appreciation for those who build and fly those models.

Denny
08-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
No besides my heavy investment in trains, reflected by my WEB site, and my 44 year old interest in motorcycle touring via my Honda Magna or Valkyrie Interstate, I held several offices and was past president of our local Classic Chevy club. I still have my 55 Belair Hardtop which I restored and a C4 and C5 Corvette. No time to devote to RC though I have an appreciation for those who build and fly those models.

Denny
HA! I forgot cars. I'd like to see a photo of the 55. My wife's step father(now deceased) ran a Classic Chevy shop, he bought, restored, and sold all kinds of old Chevy's(55 his favorites of course).

I restored a 70 Cuda and 73 Road Runner, and a 72 GTO in my time. We now just have a 06 Mustang that we got for our son when he went to college...when he got out he gave it back, too "flashy" for him he said.

We hijacked another thread though...
Attached Images

08-09-2014, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
HA! I forgot cars. I'd like to see a photo of the 55. My wife's step father(now deceased) ran a Classic Chevy shop, he bought, restored, and sold all kinds of old Chevy's(55 his favorites of course).

I restored a 70 Cuda and 73 Road Runner, and a 72 GTO in my time. We now just have a 06 Mustang that we got for our son when he went to college...when he got out he gave it back, too "flashy" for him he said.

We hijacked another thread though...

Here's my 55. Anyone living in or around Scottsdale/Phoenix may have seen this car as it has Arizona License plate "DADHAD1" because my dad had one. No more hijacking.

Denny
Attached Images

08-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #26

That's a sweet Belair! And classic color too!
08-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you viewed the Gearheads Unite! photo thread?
08-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Have you viewed the Gearheads Unite! photo thread?

No, amazing what is here!
10-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Cool Stuff John, hope you popped in and said Hello to Normhead and Tessfully on the way through the park