Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Date and Time Settings Always Reset (Help)

I've searched and scrolled through the Q subforum and haven't seen a post like this so sorry if this has been asked.

Every now and then I'm having to update the Date and Time info as if the camera is newly used out of the box: usually after a week or two of neglect. Has this happened to anyone before? It gets frustrating when I decide to take the Q out for a stroll and upon trying to simply power on and shoot right away, I have to set the Date and Time. Has happened a handful of times, even after updating firmware to 1.12 (I'm aware there is a 1.13 now and will look into that when I get a chance).

So question is, has this happened to anyone and what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

PS I have a K-5 and K-7, as well as previously owning a K100d Super, K200D and K-x - have never had this problem before even after weeks/months of non-use...

Last edited by Ron_Man; 05-14-2014 at 03:07 PM.
05-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

This happens to me every single time I re-insert the battery after recharching it...It doesn't happen after a certain time of neglect though...And no, I haven't resolved this problem yet . Actually, back in April, I got so angry at this problem (missed a really nice opportunity for a photo because of it), that I startet to search the internet about it and instead of a solution found Pentax Forums...
05-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I've searched and scrolled through the Q subforum and haven't seen a post like this so sorry if this has been asked.

Every now and then I'm having to update the Date and Time info as if the camera is newly used out of the box: usually after a week or two of neglect. Has this happened to anyone before? It gets frustrating when I decide to take the Q out for a stroll and upon trying to simply power on and shoot right away, I have to set the Date and Time. Has happened a handful of times, even after updating firmware to 1.12 (I'm aware there is a 1.13 now and will look into that when I get a chance).

So question is, has this happened to anyone and what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

PS I have a K-5 and K-7, as well as previously owning a K100d Super, K200D and K-x - have never had this problem before even after weeks/months of non-use...
The camera has a backup battery; I'm not sure if it recharges itself, but it sounds like it does. So after leaving your camera without power for a while, the backup battery will run dry and the date/time will be reset. This can happen with DSLRs too. I know that if this happens to you in a bigger camera you pretty much have to get the backup battery replaced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

@Adam, or a mod, I accidentally delleted a detailed reply that I submiited. Can you undelete it?

I went to edit the post and misclicked delete instead of save on the mobile skin. The buttons are next to each other and delete doesn't ask for confirmation.

05-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

On my Q, changing for a different brand of SD card fixed the problem (now using class10 Kingston). Same is true if you remove the SD card before removing the battery. Usually I had to reset time and date after removing the battery for a few minutes. Now it maintains the clock for as long as charging the battery takes or even overnight.
05-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you saying that the time/date settings are written to the card when you remove the battery?
05-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Are you saying that the time/date settings are written to the card when you remove the battery?
No, I'm not, so to clarify:

I'm saying that when certain brand of cards are in my Q (no name china card) are inserted, it makes the camera forget the date and time when the battery is removed.

When no card is present when removing the battery, time and date remains fine when the battery is removed.

When a Kingston card is in the Q, the time and date remains OK when the battery is removed.

05-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been happening to me as well.
Haven't figured out a pattern so will check fgaudets suggestion.
05-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not run into this problem, I have 2 Q's and a Q7 so my Q's are seeing little use lately but they still have retained date and time. I don't leave the cameras without a battery for longer than the time it takes to replace the battery. 2 of my cameras have class 10 cards and one has an off brand class 6 card but I have not had the date or time lost on any of the cameras.
05-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ I have the same experience - my cards are all Sandisk, some Class 10 UHS1. In my case the battery has never fully run down but has gotten low enough that the camera will boot and then immediately shut down.
05-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #11

I just removed the battery several times and re-inserted it after only a few seconds and the date/time hasn't gone lost (yay!). So I guess in my case it's really the backup battery running dry. I'll buy a spare battery so the camera won't be let without a battery anymore.
05-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hmm I've had various SD cards in there and it seems to keep happening, regardless of it being my best Sandisks, 32gb and 64gb cards, both class 10...

I think I'll try getting another OEM battery and see if that helps too?
01-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #13

For a few weeks my Q has also been asking for the time after a battery change. I tried the various suggestions here without any improvement.
In the end I reinstalled the firmware (v1.14) and it's been working normally since then.
01-23-2015, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Followed the suggestion to switch card. From Transcend to Sandisk Ultra. Previously, if I remove the battery for around 30 seconds, the time resets. Now, I'm surprised that it's retaining the time! I can't understand what it has got to do with the SD card, but I'm glad that it worked!
08-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks, this started happening to my Q7 also. I re-formatted the (Sandisk) card on my PC and used it to re-installl the firmware and the issue went away. Hurray!