Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morane_j Quote
There are no more engineers in Pentax, just designers?

Well it worked for Apple...

08-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand why they make this "new" camera?
No brighter LCD, no tiltable LCD, no more defined LCD, no sensitive LCD, (probably) no new sensor, no new movie possibility, no new mode, no built-in wifi, no GPS, no dual SD slot, no new AF system, no higher ISO....
So what is new in this Q-S1 compared to Q7? I can only see new body. There are no more engineers in Pentax, just designers?
They'll probably sell boatloads of them.
08-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, I wanted a Super-Q too, but there's room for midcycle refreshes here. The Q7 is only a year old...
08-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ritualnet Quote
On that page, there's a part under news saying PENTAX Q-S1 Color Simulator. If you look, it looks like front panels are interchangable. Would the "knob" be a way of locking them onto the camera?
We have been promised colors b4...

---------- Post added 08-05-14 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They'll probably sell boatloads of them.
The way I see it all at this point, I got a new Q10 red/02 kit cheap. Liked it, so got a new Q white/01 kit cheap. Shortly, I should be able to get a cheap Q7/06 kit...and maybe a year from now probably a cheap QS1/whatever CHEAP! I think though at this point, my K10D and my wife's K100 Super (which she never like because of its size) are probably the LAST larger sized cameras I will ever purchase. They work great, and the Q's do everything else...color me happy.

08-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #50

Quote from a review..."Pentax also smoothed the overall shape a little and added a round accent to make the front look more symmetrical. I happen to prefer the asymmetrical look, but the addition supposedly helps make it more grippable, always a good thing."

and another..."The new body -- we don't yet know whether it's polycarbonate or metallic -- is overlaid with faux-leather trim. As well as the Quick Dial we're used to from earlier models, it now sports a matching protrusion on the opposite side of the lens mount. While it looks like a dial, we're told that this is actually an aluminum grip. Our understanding is that it doesn't actually turn or control any feature, and its shape was chosen merely to mirror the look of the Quick Dial, giving the design a greater feeling of balance and symmetry. (And while we're mentioning it, the Quick Dial, too, is crafted from aluminum.)"

Even WORSE than it being there, it does NOTHING!
08-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Was wishing for more. Wonder if the knob can be removed? It doesn't add to the looks of the camera imho.
You can easily do it with a Dremel.

Last edited by yugi; 08-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.
08-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #52

while I'm a bit skeptical about the comfort of the round grip, I'll reserve judgement until I actually hold one. I always felt that I never had a good grip on the Q (large hands) until I put a thumb grip on mine. if this new grip actually functions well, I don't care what it looks like.

08-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
while I'm a bit skeptical about the comfort of the round grip, I'll reserve judgement until I actually hold one. I always felt that I never had a good grip on the Q (large hands) until I put a thumb grip on mine. if this new grip actually functions well, I don't care what it looks like.
Well, IF it unscrews, it might open up another area for some accessory to mount to...
08-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #54

So to verify, the camera is exactly the same as a Q7 in all respects, but is now 'symmetrical'.
08-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #55

No there is one update, the dust removal system has now a mark II on his name.
08-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No there is one update, the dust removal system has now a mark II on his name.
From the features text it appears there are some subtle internal updates to the image processing engine, the SR system and a much faster startup time (1 second). The external packaging seems like only a refresh.
08-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand why they make this "new" camera?
No brighter LCD, no tiltable LCD, no more defined LCD, no sensitive LCD, (probably) no new sensor, no new movie possibility, no new mode, no built-in wifi, no GPS, no dual SD slot, no new AF system, no higher ISO....
So what is new in this Q-S1 compared to Q7? I can only see new body. There are no more engineers in Pentax, just designers?
Let's wait until we see one. Same sensor and ISO does not mean the same performance at the ISO range published.

For me, the biggest issue is not knowing what it's made from. I still might get one, for use with my 08 zoom. This would give significantly more field of view than the Q and the two bodies would make a great travel kit compared to my K7/k10 pair along with 10-20 and 28-75 zooms.
08-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For me, the biggest issue is not knowing what it's made from..
from the announcement: "Rather than being made of plastic (like the Q7/Q10) or magnesium alloy (like the Q), the Q-S1 features aluminum panels and synthetic leather in the front."

I know that isn't terribly specific...
08-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #59

Reading comments on the internet, the main criticisms are
Low res LCD
No fixed or removable EVF
No built-in wifi
No GPS

As much as I enjoy using the Q, one of its biggest weaknesses is battery life compared to my other cameras such as the Coolpix A (which even has to power the lens on and off). It's a really small battery and too small to be able to add any of the above features at it would put too much drain on the battery. They would have to go for a complete internal redesign or make it larger in order to accommodate a bigger battery and offer any of those extra features and they probably decided the ROV wouldn't be worth it.
08-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From the features text it appears there are some subtle internal updates to the image processing engine, the SR system and a much faster startup time (1 second). The external packaging seems like only a refresh.
The Q7 starts up in around 1 second. So nothing different there.
Don't know about the SR system, even though I find the Q7's more than acceptable.

AB