Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

which Q for c mount lenses

Hi, I've decided to save up and get a Q. But which one? I have a *ist D, and am liking using vintage lenses, I love funky bubble swirly bokeh and strange perspectives. I would like to get into cine/cmount lenses and obviously need a Q! Is there an advantage to the original Q having a smaller sensor when using c mount lenses? I vaguely remember some article about the smaller sensor, crop size, blah blah tech talk blah... I'm learning as fast as my old brain can. I know the Q7 seems to have some broader settings, so maybe that's the advantage. I can't seem to find a definitive answer, but I know enough to know it might be apples and oranges, minimal difference. Thanks for any input, Lisa

08-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q7, Q-s1 have larger and improved sensor over Q,Q10.

Most of the c lenses that have been tested have been with Q.

See the 'adapted lenses' sticky thread above for samples with C lenses.
08-31-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You need the largest sensor possible to maximise the c-mount fix.
08-31-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iswmle Quote
Hi, I've decided to save up and get a Q. But which one? I have a *ist D, and am liking using vintage lenses, I love funky bubble swirly bokeh and strange perspectives. I would like to get into cine/cmount lenses and obviously need a Q! Is there an advantage to the original Q having a smaller sensor when using c mount lenses? I vaguely remember some article about the smaller sensor, crop size, blah blah tech talk blah... I'm learning as fast as my old brain can. I know the Q7 seems to have some broader settings, so maybe that's the advantage. I can't seem to find a definitive answer, but I know enough to know it might be apples and oranges, minimal difference. Thanks for any input, Lisa
It is pretty well accepted that the later Qs (Q7 Qs1) have better image quality as in noise performance stc. So if you are also intending to get proper Q lenses and use it as a mainstream camera at times then it is probably better to get the later models. If you intend to only use it as a creative camera then you may as well save your bucks and get the iconic Q. For any given lens the Q and Q10 ( because of their smaller sensor) makes the lens perform more like a telephoto than the Q7 and later . So if you are thinking wide angles go Q7.
I use the Q and really enjoy it. But beware it is a learning curve.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...thread-58.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/270450-continuous-ringlight-q.html
and others

09-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you are using wide CS CCTV lenses the smaller image circle of the Q will work better than the Q7 I will depend on what the C mount lens was designed for. If it was for a movie camera the Q7 would work better, if it was for a CCTV camera the Q would be better
09-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Its usual to mount cmount lenses onto micro 4/3 so why move down from q7 to q micro 4/3 is bigger than either q or q7 isn't it
09-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Its usual to mount cmount lenses onto micro 4/3 so why move down from q7 to q micro 4/3 is bigger than either q or q7 isn't it
Not all C Mount lenses are designed to be use on "larger" format. Many are made for much smaller sensors and/or 8mm film (it varies quite a bit between lenses/uses).

Newer C Mount are usually built with m4/3 in mind but it is not unusual to see a C mount lens that will vignette even on a Q7 sensor.

09-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As I understand it no cmount lenses are designed for micro 4/3, its usual however to mount on 4/3 to exploit the vagaries of the distortions present, which will be less on q or q7 due to the smaller sensors.

If you want to make the most of the vignetting, the distortions and the aberrations then q7 seems more natural than q, it does depend on the lens though, for example 25mm is the limit on micro 4/3 and vignetting is already becoming apparent, go to 16mm and vignetting is strong, by 12mm you just see a circle within the image. Again it depends on the lens.