Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Q series LCD and recent observations

My lady and I spent several days this past weekend at the Grand Canyon during which time I did a lot of people watching. Specifically paying attention to those tourists with camera’s. About 15% of those with camera’s were using DSLR’s and all of those folks were over the age of 50. The DSLR’s were of the variety usually available from the big box stores. Nikon 3000 series and Canon Rebel’s. We did see two Sony‘s. Nothing high end.

We noticed that of the people using camera’s, (most visitors were just using cell phones) most of the camera’s were either PHD or mirrorless. I was using my K-5 and I had brought along one of the Q7’s for fun and for my lady to use. (Photo is of Sharon shooting something in the Canyon that interested her. Note the wrist strap which I insisted she use.) What we noticed was that no matter what brand of camera, those folks using mirrorless camera’s were having difficulty seeing the rear screen. We watched all sorts of attempts to remedy the rear screen problem from shielding it with hands to using brochures. One oriental guy with a camera that had an adjustable rear screen tried every sort of angle to get rid of the glare and he finally gave up. Another visitor whom we spoke with said he bought the wide brim hat he was wearing specifically to cut down on the glare from his Fuji. He had purchased his Fuji X (something or other) before coming on this trip and seemed a bit disappointed. So, when people complain about the screen on the Pentax Q series, it appears that no matter what the reviewers claim, in real time use by the consuming public, rear screen visibility is an issue that is common among mirrorless camera’s no matter what brand.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had similar issues when in Ensenada at La Bufadora with my wife's Nikon S5200. Practically useless in bright daylight. It wasn't much better (if it was) on my Samsung Galaxy SIII or wife's iPhone.
EVF/OVF is still the best method for outdoor daylight. Its also easier to steady your camera if you have any zoom at all.
10-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the EVF of my Fuji X30 but the LCD screen is difficult to see in sunlight.
10-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
it appears that no matter what the reviewers claim, in real time use by the consuming public, rear screen visibility is an issue that is common among mirrorless camera’s no matter what brand.
And yet, most folk continue to use (and hence buy) rear screen only cameras.........
For whatever reason.
J

10-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
And yet, most folk continue to use (and hence buy) rear screen only cameras.........
For whatever reason.
J
Cameras are designed indoors and purchased indoors.
By the time you get one into the sunlight, its too late to add "useable outdoors" to the list of requirements.
10-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
By the time you get one into the sunlight, its too late to add "useable outdoors" to the list of requirements.
Hmmmm...

Just remember to up the Q7's LCD brightness from the Menu, then frame the subject, etc...

For example... a bright sunny beach scene:

Works great!

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.
10-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just returned fro a trip to Europe and only took my Q7 and a Canon P&S, I don't recall any issues and we had mostly sunny weather, I was wearing a hat

10-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

PHD camera?

The screen visibility thing is another reason I don't use my Q very much. I took it to Europe on our 7 week holiday and hardly used it compared with the K-5.
11-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Yes, except for its replacement in a few years time, and now they have the experience. (People live longer that cameras)

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with screens as a choice. I have a Q7 and a Sony with a viewfinder.

But viewfinder less cameras seem to prevail.
11-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had a Canon IXUS a couple years ago which had a brilliant rear screen even in our Australian sun. Was about the only thing decent on the camera, I sold it after only a couple months.
Pentax screens are not as good as that IXUS, but not completely terrible.
11-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
PHD camera?
Back in the early 1970’s when 35mm SLR camera’s started featuring automatic features, which was contrary to what "serious" photographers would consider using, someone started calling them PHD camera’s. PHD stands for "Press Here Dummy". Personally I consider any camera that does not offer full manual controls to be a PHD camera.
11-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One thing I did notice I had to remove my sunglasses to see the Q7 or my Canon screen, but other then that I had no problems with the sun, Like is stated above I was wearing a baseball hat
11-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
One thing I did notice I had to remove my sunglasses to see the Q7 or my Canon screen, but other then that I had no problems with the sun, Like is stated above I was wearing a baseball hat
Funny you should mention that. I wear prescription sun glasses which have the darkest tint available. With the camera horizontal and the LCD intensity set to the factory default I can see the image (darkened of course) on the LCD. However, when I turn the Q7 to the vertical format, the screen looks completely dark and I must take my sun glasses off to see the subject. I've never tried this with the live view on my K-5 series camera's.
11-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny you should mention that. I wear prescription sun glasses which have the darkest tint available. With the camera horizontal and the LCD intensity set to the factory default I can see the image (darkened of course) on the LCD. However, when I turn the Q7 to the vertical format, the screen looks completely dark and I must take my sun glasses off to see the subject. I've never tried this with the live view on my K-5 series camera's.
They are obviously polarizing sunglasses. Lcd screens seem to emit light only in one plane. (including tvs). Try your polarizing filter on one.
11-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Mine are also prescription but not polarizing, it's just they are too dark to see the screen properly, They are photogray and I forget I am wearing them until I try to see the LCD