Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #1

Hankering for a good book?

Since acquiring a Q with 01 prime a couple of years ago, I've checked around and kept an eye out for a good book on the Q series. The only ones I've found are Japanese language books. A couple of books are available for the Nikon 1 series. I have one and it has been interesting and helpful. I wonder why there are none for Q's and if anyone else wants (or has wished for) one.

11-24-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This guy here
Ebooks4cameras
posted that he was going to write one (back in 2011), but apparently didn't...
PENTAX DSLRs: Why I think the Pentax Q system will be a success. I am writing an e-book for it.

Can't find much either...
11-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
This guy here
Ebooks4cameras
posted that he was going to write one (back in 2011), but apparently didn't...
PENTAX DSLRs: Why I think the Pentax Q system will be a success. I am writing an e-book for it.

Can't find much either...
Most of this guys work is sold only as E books. When a writer of any material does not publish their work in hard copy format then I suspect there is little content that cannot be gotten free off the Internet or in this case from forums such as this. I have found that to be true in some automotive and hobby related manuals. If there was something of value in the material, or if it was well written then a publisher would show interest in producing hard copy versions.
11-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swa Quote
Since acquiring a Q with 01 prime a couple of years ago, I've checked around and kept an eye out for a good book on the Q series. The only ones I've found are Japanese language books. A couple of books are available for the Nikon 1 series. I have one and it has been interesting and helpful. I wonder why there are none for Q's and if anyone else wants (or has wished for) one.
Most of the Q family's success has been in Asia. I doubt if any English-language book would sell enough to cover production expenses.

11-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Forum Member

Zis buk iz super perfekto: The Art of Photography
Besides even photo-superstar Ken likes: Recommended Photography Books and Magazines

But specially for Q I see no reason to buy/write any book. Just open couple of test reports( See: Let me google that for you ) and you will have better information than most of book writers can create with their imagination.
11-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
swa

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Most of this guys work is sold only as E books. When a writer of any material does not publish their work in hard copy format then I suspect there is little content that cannot be gotten free off the Internet or in this case from forums such as this. I have found that to be true in some automotive and hobby related manuals. If there was something of value in the material, or if it was well written then a publisher would show interest in producing hard copy versions.
Having gone through three e-books on photography -- admittedly far from a thorough survey -- I must agree that much of what they seem to offer is information easily available elsewhere and for free. That might not always be the case, though. Selling a book to an established, nonvanity publisher , especially in a specialty area, can be a long, hard slog that leads to a pile of rejection notices.

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most of the Q family's success has been in Asia. I doubt if any English-language book would sell enough to cover production expenses.
I think that was true early on, when the Q was stuck at or near the MSRP. In the past two years, however, Q prices have come down to Earth and then some. Woot! was recently selling black or yellow Q7's with 02 zoom for $244 shipped. Q7's are currently available for about that price on eBay. I've seen new Q10's going for as little as $139! At those prices, a whole lot of Q's have wound up in the hands of consumers. Given how much larger the North American market is than the Japanese market, there could be many more Q's in users' hands here than there.