Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
C70317

I searched and searched here, and much to my surprise, I couldn't find an answer to a question that came up today.
I'm not sure whether that means the subject has never come up, or whether my searching is deficient, so I decided to ask directly.

On eBay, there is guy selling a C70317 3-8mm f/1.0 CCTV C-mount lens, Pentax-Hoya part number C70317,
for less than $100. Considering the amount of commentary here (including from me) about the price of the 08 lens,
I was wondering if that could serve as the basis for a replacement for the 08. I know that the 08 has focusing, aperture-control,
and a shutter built-in, so this is an entirely different beast, but I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this lens.

04-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lots of articles and posts about C mount lenses on Q, if not that specific one. Most of them seem to be pretty disappointing in terms of performance.
04-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the interesting information, reh321.
I had a look on Pentax CCTV product catalog.
Security Lens | Industrial Products | Ricoh
You can find there a 3-8mm f/1.0 lens, but it covers only a 1/3 inch diagonal sensor. The sensor of the Pentax Q is bigger (1/2.3) and Q7 has an even bigger one (1/1.7). So it means the lens will not cover the sensor (vignetting). Additionally, carefully check the lens is not a CS mount, because the registration distance is much shorter for CS than for C mount, and commercial adapters are only for C.
C mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Overall, it would deeply surprise me if you coul find a bright 3mm capable to cover the Q7 sensor. My recommendation could be the Pentax 4.8mm f/1.8, which is good and with fix focus. But the 08 is a cute autofocus ultra-wide lens with few equivalents. After intensive research, I finally bought one because I could not find any equivalent in industrial vision lenses. A cheaper solution can be to buy it new on Amazon.jp and import it with Buynippon.com. But the 08 is an expensive (and excellent) lens. Good luck for your quest.
04-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skyclad666 Quote
Thanks for the interesting information, reh321.
I had a look on Pentax CCTV product catalog.
Security Lens | Industrial Products | Ricoh
You can find there a 3-8mm f/1.0 lens, but it covers only a 1/3 inch diagonal sensor. The sensor of the Pentax Q is bigger (1/2.3) and Q7 has an even bigger one (1/1.7). So it means the lens will not cover the sensor (vignetting). Additionally, carefully check the lens is not a CS mount, because the registration distance is much shorter for CS than for C mount, and commercial adapters are only for C.
C mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Overall, it would deeply surprise me if you coul find a bright 3mm capable to cover the Q7 sensor. My recommendation could be the Pentax 4.8mm f/1.8, which is good and with fix focus. But the 08 is a cute autofocus ultra-wide lens with few equivalents. After intensive research, I finally bought one because I could not find any equivalent in industrial vision lenses. A cheaper solution can be to buy it new on Amazon.jp and import it with Buynippon.com. But the 08 is an expensive (and excellent) lens. Good luck for your quest.
Thank you.
That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
I knew it had to be out there somewhere, but I just didn't know where to look.
I kind of felt this lens was too good to be true, but I didn't know what the problem was.

I know about the 08, but I'm not very interested in buying a lens that costs twice what the camera did, especially since I have limited use for wide-angle. I guess for right now, I just won't get much wide-angle from my Q7.

04-23-2015, 02:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Good to know that it helped.
Perhaps may you find an inexpensive 08 on Yahoo Auction (Japanese site). The 08 is mostly worthy as a companion for the Q7.
It you have a Q, you may also find Chinese C-mount wide angle lenses covering 1/2 inch sensors, which would cover the 1/2.3 inch Q sensor. I had great time with a 2.8-12mm f/1.8 lens bought on on Aliexpress.com for $60 shipping included. It had a 2 megapixel resolution and I made many photos from Bulgaria with it. The resolution was correct, however with chromatic aberration and a blue cast easy to correct in RAW. The focusing was very very delicate to achieve. The 2.8mm focal length and very short focusing distances are a must for the Pentax Q. Unfortunately, I could not re-find the place where I bought it. The dealer disappeared.

Attached samples below. It is a fish-eye!