Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 05:46 AM - 9 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q7 one year retrospective review

Okay, perhaps I might be being a bit generous by calling this a "review", but the truth is, I'm not overly concerned about the technical specs of the Q(7, in my case) compared to other roughly comparable cameras. I just love this camera, and it has been a joy to have and use ever since I bought it.

Gullwing Photography: Pentax Q retrospective

And a lot of photos. Just tried to pick a wide variety to show the kinds of things the Q is capable of.

Amazing camera. I quite often now prefer to use the Q rather than my K3. And for any photographer who looks like they might be stagnating or stuck in a creative rut, I always suggest they try the Q, as it can bring a fresh new perspective, in my opinion.

05-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with everything you say. The Q is just plain old FUN! Just wish it had a viewfinder for those shots the Sun plays games with.

I forgot to congratulate you on the fantastic shots with your Q. BTW...did you name your Q? Mine has a name "Homer".

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 05-22-2015 at 07:42 AM.
05-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the Blog link. I agree with your assessment of the Q7. It is a great little camera which is a fun alternative to the DSLRs. Interesting pictures too.
05-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work! I fnd the 03 lens is a lot of fun as well.

05-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice work! I fnd the 03 lens is a lot of fun as well.
Thanks. I do have the 03 lens too but have never felt that the optical quality was as good as the 01 and 06 lenses.

It still gets used from time to time though.
05-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I have to agree with everything you say. The Q is just plain old FUN! Just wish it had a viewfinder for those shots the Sun plays games with.
I bought a cheap hoodman-clone from a Chinese source; I had to modify the mount (an evening spent in our basement), but it gets the job done. It is a good thing I did that, because my Canon Rebel unexpectedly died, and now my Q7 is my only camera until I find a K-something at a price I'm willing to pay (we have a little cash-flow problem right now).
05-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spot on observations about the Q and terrific photos!

05-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Spot on observations about the Q and terrific photos!
Thanks. The Q seems to somehow take good photos all by itself.
05-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic photos I must say. Great stuff.
05-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned my Q7 for several years now and am doing a 365 project with it this year stepping through the lenses 01-08 one each month My 365 Project | TSM-Photography. Although the Q7 is now in the shop with a SD card slot issue (using my original Q as backup), I remain committed to this project. I have to laugh in that we have the same silver and black body (classic look I must say). Never thought of using my Q as an IR camera. Are you doing that with a IR filter? May have to give it a whirl is a bit. Anyway, good read and lovely creative images here.
05-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I've owned my Q7 for several years now and am doing a 365 project with it this year stepping through the lenses 01-08 one each month My 365 Project | TSM-Photography. Although the Q7 is now in the shop with a SD card slot issue (using my original Q as backup), I remain committed to this project. I have to laugh in that we have the same silver and black body (classic look I must say). Never thought of using my Q as an IR camera. Are you doing that with a IR filter? May have to give it a whirl is a bit. Anyway, good read and lovely creative images here.
Nice. It's a good camera for such a project. I like 110. I have no idea what it is though!

Personally I'd prefer to have the plain black camera. But then again, I also wish the Q7 had the magnesium body that the Q had. I still can't believe they took a step back in terms of quality in that regard.

Yes, simple IR filter off ebay. I wanted to try it, as the K3 is absolutely awful with IR, and I was absolutely amazed at how great the Q is with IR. Working auto-focus, easy framing of scene on the screen (assuming plenty of sunlight). If you bump the ISO up a lot you can even take handheld shots, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it!
05-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. I have an IR converted Pentax K100ds and I love it (no filter needed), but I do have IR filters, so...I'll have to give my Q some IR love. My original Q is all black but I just love the silver and black look of my Q7. Most of my problems with my Q system have been with the manual focus lenses. The 03, 04, and now 05 give me fits getting sharp focus. Actually the 05 does better that the other two but even with focus peaking, I just have a lot of misses on focus. It's a fun system for sure.
05-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #13

Original Poster
Interesting. I have an IR converted Pentax K100ds and I love it (no filter needed), but I do have IR filters, so...I'll have to give my Q some IR love. My original Q is all black but I just love the silver and black look of my Q7. Most of my problems with my Q system have been with the manual focus lenses. The 03, 04, and now 05 give me fits getting sharp focus. Actually the 05 does better that the other two but even with focus peaking, I just have a lot of misses on focus. It's a fun system for sure.
I've toyed with the idea of getting a converted camera, but then I think: part of the magic of IR photography is in the long exposures needed. Leaves on trees swaying to create candy floss, flowing water, people absent from busy places as they were all moving..

Try the Q. Great fun with IR, yes. (The K3 is SO bad at it!)

I had an all black original Q. Loved it, but sadly the Q7 is definitely a better camera.

I don't have any of the "toy" lenses. 01, 02, 06 and the Mount Shield.
05-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't bother with the Toy lenses. However, the 08 is one to get. It's a great lens. I also have a 'Lomo' lens for mine which will get a work out later this year.
05-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #15

Original Poster
Don't bother with the Toy lenses. However, the 08 is one to get. It's a great lens. I also have a 'Lomo' lens for mine which will get a work out later this year.
I wasn't going to get any of the toy lenses. I would LOVE the 08 lens, but the price is... quite mad. Sorry, but if I want wide, I have a K3 and 8mm fisheye and 10-20mm non-fisheye. They'll have to do.