Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Any advantage of Pentax K to Q adapter?

Hi, I want to adapt long lenses to my pentax Q. I see Pentax has released an expensive K to Q adapter. What is the advantage of this over a cheap $20 adapter? It doesn't offer AF. How could the mechanical shutter offer an advantage?

05-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Without the leaf shutter the Q has to use the electronic shutter, this can lead to 'jello' effect distortions.

Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The cheap ones also have typically needed an interior paint job upgrade to something more matte as well, and the Pentax is much much better made. However, I'd get your feet wet with the cheap one -- getting good results with long lenses on the Q is not easy so it is smart to see if the whole thing is for you before you buy the expensive one. (You will want it if you do find you wish to pursue it.)
05-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with vB. You'll learn a LOT using the inexpensive adapters and be better able to decide if you want to explore the (expensive) techy thing with gear or the fun of the Q's.

I'm a tech-guy at heart but the Q's have convinced me there's foto-fun in a reasonably capable AF Q-kit despite shelfs full'a P/K lenses.

A few weeks or months experimentation will show you the way you'll be happiest. Have patience -- or a lot of $$.

05-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

i think pentax should have made a short m42/m39 helicoid "speed booster" with the shutter in it instead of whats available. speed booster is just a magnifying lens. a 13mm helicoid has plenty of room for all that. that would have opened a market for pentax to make new official adapters.

ALL BELOW!! up to K

Leica M-mount 27.80 mm[5] Mirrorless
M39×26tpi mount 28.80 mm Mirrorless
Contax G-mount 29.00 mm Mirrorless
Olympus PEN F 28.95 mm
Contax RF-mount 34.85 mm Mirrorless
Nikon S-mount 34.85 mm Mirrorless
Standard B4 1/2"-mount 35.74 mm
Minolta V-mount 36.00 mm SLR
Sony B4 1/2"-mount 38 mm
Olympus Four Thirds System 38.67 mm
Konica F-mount 40.50 mm SLR
Konica AR-mount 40.50 mm SLR
Canon FL-mount 42.00 mm SLR
Canon FD-mount 42.00 mm SLR
Start (Soviet SLR) 42.00 mm
Minolta SR-mount 43.50 mm SLR
Fujica X-mount 43.50 mm SLR
Pentaflex (16mm cameras) 44 mm
Canon EF-mount 44.00 mm SLR
Canon EF-S-mount 44.00 mm SLR
Praktica B-mount 44.00 mm SLR
Sigma SA-mount 44.00 mm SLR
Minolta/Konica Minolta/Sony A-mount 44.50 mm SLR
QBM 44.5 mm[6] SLR
Exakta 44.7 mm[7] SLR
M42x1 45.46 mm SLR
M39x1 45.46 mm SLR
Pentax K-mount
05-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. I also don't understand why this adapter doesn't enable AF, when some other adapters for different camera systems do.
05-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #7

i never figured that out either its just a simple metal trace on a pcb...

05-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Fotodiox one with aperture. I haven't used it so far, too enchanted with my Auto 100 lenses, but I mean to. They addressed the problem with the paint a while back. They're flat black inside now.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Aperture-Pentax-Camera/dp/B006NQ9T34/...+with+aperture
05-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mklives Quote
I also don't understand why this adapter doesn't enable AF, when some other adapters for different camera systems do.
One word answer: power. If the Q's tiny battery (which is only 3.7 volts, where most ILCs are 7.2v, including the Nikon V1, Canon EOS M, and Lumix GM1) tried to provide enough power to turn an SDM lens, the shot count would probably be less than a hundred - if the camera didn't continually freeze up because of power dips and surges. The Q just wasn't designed to spin big lenses.
05-31-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Another reason to use the Pentax K2Q adapter with the integrated shutter is for flash. Fastest flash sync with the shutterless adapters will be 1/30 because it will use the electronic shutter only. With the shutter in the adapter, you can get sync at 1/1000 with the pop up flash, and 1/250 with externals. A good example of when this would be handy is shooting macro with flash in daylight outdoors (one of the Q's strengths with adapted lenses). There will almost always be too much ambient light, so it would be virtually impossible to freeze motion with the flash at 1/30. Of course, you could use ND filters, but this can be limiting considering that you will also probably be shooting at small apertures to get sufficient DOF.

Also, the aperture ring on the Pentax K2Q adapter has a gear reduction that allows a much longer rotational throw compared to any of the 3rd party adapters. This gives you the ability to adjust aperture to a much finer degree.

Add the virtual elimination of rolling shutter effect and a much higher level of build quality, and the extra price can be easily justified if any of this is important to you.

Scott
05-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about the fact that a real tripod foot can be used? I have 4 or 5 of the cheapie adapters and all have foot problems that require modification to work with a 135mm lens. Don't even think about the 55-300 DA Pentax zoom. The oem Pentax adapter is a blessing.

Would love for Pentax to bring out an AF adapter. Not that hard to do. Put extra batteries in the adapter. It doesn't have to be that small since we are hanging big lenses off it. Come on Ricoh you can do it.
thanks
barondla
05-31-2015, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Would love for Pentax to bring out an AF adapter. Not that hard to do. Put extra batteries in the adapter. It doesn't have to be that small since we are hanging big lenses off it. Come on Ricoh you can do it.
thanks
barondla
+1 for an AF adapter, I love my Pentax adapter but I would replace it for one that has AF in a minute
05-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
How about the fact that a real tripod foot can be used? I have 4 or 5 of the cheapie adapters and all have foot problems that require modification to work with a 135mm lens. Don't even think about the 55-300 DA Pentax zoom. The oem Pentax adapter is a blessing.

thanks
barondla
I'm bothered by the fact that a tripod foot is an extra-cost add-on for the Pentax adapter.
The 01 standard prime lens costs around $150; a third-party PK-to-PQ adapter with tripod-foot included in the price costs less than $30 (and the foot on mine works fine with my 70-300 Sigma lens mounted on a monopod). I see no reason for the Pentax adapter, which is kind of a combination of the two, less the glass and the tripod foot, to cost over $200. Like the 08 wide-angle lens, this may be a place where pricing is a self-fulfilling prophecy - set price assuming low volume to cover development costs and the price causes low volume.
I could see justification for the price if it included electrical connections, but I haven't had much noticeable problem with the "jello effect", and so I have a really hard time right now justifying buying the Pentax version for as few pictures as I actually take using it.
05-31-2015, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I could see justification for the price if it included electrical connections, but I haven't had much noticeable problem with the "jello effect", and so I have a really hard time right now justifying buying the Pentax version for as few pictures as I actually take using it.
Then you aren't the target market.
05-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Then you aren't the target market.
So, maybe our two posts above combine to form an answer to the OP's original question.