Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Q7 repair or ?

I have (and LOVE) a full kit (except 08) plus a Q and 2-Q7's. The only reason I have 2 Q7's is that I dropped my first one on a hard sandy trail hike in Zion earlier this year and ever since it has been acting up, intermittently. So I finally started looking into repair. The local guru just scratched his head, and it looked like sending it back to Pentax (where?) would cost nearly as much as a new body. And in fact I found a whole new kit with charger, body and 02 for under $150, so I bought it. 😜 So now my question is what do I do with my original one, keep it for "parts", send it for repair??? I just don't know, but it doesn't seem right to just have it sitting here.

09-03-2015, 04:44 AM   #2

Might as well keep it. If the screen is still good, that might come in handy for a repair someday.
09-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could sell it on Ebay as a parts only with a description of the problem. I have seen such bodies sell for $50-65.
09-03-2015, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Q7 is in the shop for a repair of the SD port. It's been in the shop (Precision) since May, when it's fixed it's going to be about $400 which...is well more than a new Q-S1, However, I love my Q7 (silver body) and while I should have just dumped it and gotten a new one, I WANT my camera back - working. So...if I was more objective about it, I'd have let it go and done that. If I had to make a call for you in your situation, if you really want your Q7 repaired, get an estimate for the repair from Pentax and then decide. I suspect that may help with the decision as to what to do. YMMV

09-03-2015, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would try selling it on eBay for parts. Be happy what you get for it, I suppose. Maybe you could use the cash for a take-out dinner with the family. You might as well get something useful out of it. Otherwise it's just clutter taking up space in a home.

You could be real daring and donate it to a "take-apart" project for kids so they can see what's inside a modern digital camera! Maybe that will inspire an inventor for the next generation.
09-03-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obviously being a bit OT here but . . .

When the K200D arrived it WORKED for me - I really liked it. Expecting it to be like most modern 'appliances' I accumulated three more of 'em as spares when the used cost took a dive. As MY luck would have it, the K200D's been almost bullet proof. And never needed firmware fixes except for SDHS card use.

I've still got a 4x5 Speed Graphic, a Spotmatic, a K1000 an' an MX, too -- just in case.

When/if my Q's 'go west' it ain't gonna hurt too much to revert to the ol' reliable sources.

Wait a while. There's good cause to seek out a 'reconditioned' item with a warranty. First run consumer items are QA'ed like one in . . . what? 10? 100? off the assembly line looking for systematic issues. Reconditioned items are often returned simply 'cause the user didn't read the manual. At least they get individual attention (from a reputable re-sale source) and they too trash anything that seems to be uneconomical to repair.

Statistics count: I've only had one failure of ANY Pentax product (a cheap flash) owing to manufacturing issues in 50+ years. And I've never had an issue with a re-furb from a reliable source. YMMV.