Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Q7 EV Bracketing

Can you actually set the stops for more variance in exposures (ABE) for HDR purposes since you only have 3 frames? The default is pretty close in exposures. Obviously I could do it manually with a tripod but like going handheld in most instances.Were talking about the Q7.
Thanx in advance from this newbie

05-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the auto HDR feature has 2 levels of selectable strength, as long as you go through the control panel and not the scene mode.

Beyond that you'd need to use bracketing mode and manually select the EV spread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe the auto HDR feature has 2 levels of selectable strength, as long as you go through the control panel and not the scene mode.

Beyond that you'd need to use bracketing mode and manually select the EV spread.

Still, while in bracketing mode I know you can change the spread by going from one end to the other of the ev scale, but no matter where you end up your still only in a range of 1/3 stop increments of exposure.It seems my only alternative is to use a tripod and just take 3 separate shots. Thanx again for your speedy response.
05-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by timedriver Quote
Still, while in bracketing mode I know you can change the spread by going from one end to the other of the ev scale, but no matter where you end up your still only in a range of 1/3 stop increments of exposure.It seems my only alternative is to use a tripod and just take 3 separate shots. Thanx again for your speedy response.
You should be able to increase the spread. Do you see an option to do so when the press the down button after highlighting bracketing in the drive mode menu?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
You should be able to increase the spread. Do you see an option to do so when the press the down button after highlighting bracketing in the drive mode menu?

Yes I see that and have played with it....but it still doesn't give you an option for separation of exposures outside of the default 3rds of a stop.Another words you can't get as an example: -2... 0....+2 in bracket mode. I'm also in manual mode as well, if it makes a diff.
05-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi timedriver, on my Q7, I can go up to +-3 EV in bracket mode.

To change the bracket spread, I have to:

Press drive mode (that's the right button on the four-way pad).
Use right-left key to select exposure bracketing ("+-" icon).
Press down key.
Use right-left key to select "Exposure Bracketing" or "Exposure Bracket + Remote CTRL".
Press down key. A graphics showing the control wheel is presented.
Use the control wheel to adjust the bracketing spread from +-0.3EV to +-3.0EV in 0.3EV steps.
When done adjusting, press OK.

Best,
kwb
05-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Hi timedriver, on my Q7, I can go up to +-3 EV in bracket mode.

To change the bracket spread, I have to:

Press drive mode (that's the right button on the four-way pad).
Use right-left key to select exposure bracketing ("+-" icon).
Press down key.
Use right-left key to select "Exposure Bracketing" or "Exposure Bracket + Remote CTRL".
Press down key. A graphics showing the control wheel is presented.
Use the control wheel to adjust the bracketing spread from +-0.3EV to +-3.0EV in 0.3EV steps.
When done adjusting, press OK.

Thanx, This old dog without his reading glass's missed that last step with the down button

Best,
kwb
Thanx, This old dog without his reading glass's missed that last step with the down button

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 03:45 PM ----------

Thanx again Adam, I completely overlooked that very last step that KWB pointed out...I assumed that I was just going into remote mode without another option.

05-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timedriver Quote

Thanx again Adam, I completely overlooked that very last step that KWB pointed out...I assumed that I was just going into remote mode without another option.
A common issue with a "Q" is that in virtually every case, a decision is finalized by pressing the "OK" button, and canceled out by pressing the "Menu" button. There have been several "it doesn't work" threads here where I was convinced that the person did everything perfectly ... except s/he pressed "Menu" at the end instead of "OK".