Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
makkan

What Lens Hood to use for the 01 Standard Prime?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

When I briefly owned the 02 Standard Zoom I ordered the JJC Square Hood. However as I sent that camera back and got the original Q and the 01 Standard Prime before the hood arrived I didn't realize until now that the two lenses have two different ways of attaching the lens hood. In short the JJC Square Hood wont fit my current lens.

So my question is what lens hood for the 01 Standard Prime do you use? The original hood with the screw on cap kind of looks like it would be a bit annoying to use. Then there are the vented ones, why they are vented?

Is it worth investing in a original Pentax lens hood over a third party hood like JJC?

Happy to read all your thoughts on lens hoods for the 01 Standard Prime.

10-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All my Q lenses (01 , 02, 06 and 08 ) have JJC hoods,very happy with them.
They all obviously are different, the one for 01 "JJC Lens Hood Replaces MH-RA40.5" looks very smart
10-23-2016, 05:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by makkan Quote
So my question is what lens hood for the 01 Standard Prime do you use? The original hood with the screw on cap kind of looks like it would be a bit annoying to use.
I have the original, from the Q7 Premium Kit, and I don't find it annoying. The tiny cap is threaded, but it goes on and off easily, and the hood can pretty much be left on all the time.

QuoteQuote:
Then there are the vented ones, why they are vented?
Generally speaking, vented lens hoods were invented for use on rangefinder cameras where a normal hood might block the view from the viewfinder. The "vent" holes and the odd looking inward angle of the hood were both meant to reduce the visual obstruction when composing. They've lately come to be used on other types of cameras simply because a lot of people decided they look cool.
10-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The original hood with the screw on cap kind of looks like it would be a bit annoying to use.
It is annoying to me, because the cap is so tiny, screwing it on/off is a bother, and so easy to lose if you happen to drop it in grass, weeds, etc! However, I've not replaced the original yet, but sure might depending on what others here suggest!

Last edited by csa; 10-23-2016 at 07:25 AM.
10-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

why they are vented?
What Tony said . . .

And when all else fails . . . slip-on/slip-in's . . . maybe an empty filter ring for easy removal.

And, no, these do not vignette.

It just occurred to me that if you glued a tiny rare earth magnet (Harbor Freight - strong! l'il suckers) to an inconspicuous place on the hood you could easily find it with any number of devices; metal stud finder, treasure finder, a sweep with another magnet, . . . and also easily attach it to something convenient too -- another magnet on the strap? Hat band? This may become my next DIY trick.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 10-23-2016 at 10:41 AM.
10-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
What Tony said . . .

And when all else fails . . . slip-on/slip-in's . . . maybe an empty filter ring for easy removal.

And, no, these do not vignette.

It just occurred to me that if you glued a tiny rare earth magnet (Harbor Freight - strong! l'il suckers) to an inconspicuous place on the hood you could easily find it with any number of devices; metal stud finder, treasure finder, a sweep with another magnet, . . . and also easily attach it to something convenient too -- another magnet on the strap? Hat band? This may become my next DIY trick.
Amazing! All the world is a lens hood!
10-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have a third party vented hood for the 01 but rarely use it nowadays. Attaching a hood however small to any Q lens kind of counteracts the advantage of the tiny size of the system I think. Now I just use my hand to shield my Q lenses when the lighting conditions require it.

10-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The original hood is very good. Look up small lens caps on ebay, a bag of ten spares doesnīt cost that much and then you donīt have to worry much about loosing one of them.
10-28-2016, 12:34 AM   #9
makkan

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
The original hood is very good. Look up small lens caps on ebay, a bag of ten spares doesnīt cost that much and then you donīt have to worry much about loosing one of them.
What diameter lens caps work with that hood? We are talking about the MH-RA 40.5 hood right?
10-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, and it says 25mm on both the original and the spares.
10-29-2016, 02:00 AM   #11
makkan

Yeah, and it says 25mm on both the original and the spares.
Could I trouble you for a link to one of these replacement caps, I'm having a hard time finding it on ebay. All I find are 25 lens caps but not the threaded screw-on version.
10-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You donīt need threads. A regular or one-sided locking mechanism will keep it closed, and that is what you need. There are some here: front cap 25mm | eBay
10-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoods for Q

Top to bottom:

The hood I have on the 01 prime; the "proper" 01 hood, on order; the square hood on the 02; and the deep hood on the 06.
Attached Images

10-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #14
makkan

You donīt need threads. A regular or one-sided locking mechanism will keep it closed, and that is what you need. There are some here: front cap 25mm | eBay
Those where the ones I found too. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

---------- Post added 10-30-16 at 12:21 AM ----------

Oh and a great big thank you to all of you who contributed with your knowledge and experience, I really appreciate it.
10-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have noted these lens hoods several times on this forum. I prefer them to solid lens hoods because unlike metal or hard plastic lens hoods they protect the lens from accidental bumps. You can screw them directly onto the lens or as shown here I screwed it onto the outside of a polarizer filter so I can use the lens hood to adjust the polarizer. I have used such lens hoods for over 40 years. They can be entended to maximize the amount of shading or retracted. Since most of the Q lenses use the same filter size you can switch lenses and use the same hood. They cost around $5 on Ebay. I have used this hood on the 01, 02 and 06 lenses. I do not think it would work on the wide 08 lens.