Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Image Licensing

So I am finding myself in unfamiliar territory and could use some advice.

An online store would like to sell a few my images as prints through their storefront, where they will promote me to their user base.
Prints will be made to order through them (I know, not ideal) and handled, packaged and shipped by them.

I'd like some advice on how to protect my images in a few ways.

1. A definitive timeframe in which the prints can be sold by the client. (So as not to allow them to back stock prints and sell them indefinitely)
2. Allowing the images I provide to only be used for prints. not anything else.
3. A "digital negative" deletion date that follows soon after the license to use my images expires.

My images are analog negatives and will need to be drum scanned to meet the print dimension/quality requirements. How reasonable is it to include a clause that protects me from being left to eat the production costs if they decide for some reason not to sell my prints?

I'm not familiar with this type of situation, and the fact that I'm handing over digital negatives makes it way more complicated
so I'd like some insight on what I am overlooking.

Thank you!

07-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by jwatts Quote
So I am finding myself in unfamiliar territory and could use some advice.

An online store would like to sell a few my images as prints through their storefront, where they will promote me to their user base.
Prints will be made to order through them (I know, not ideal) and handled, packaged and shipped by them.

I'd like some advice on how to protect my images in a few ways.

1. A definitive timeframe in which the prints can be sold by the client. (So as not to allow them to back stock prints and sell them indefinitely)
2. Allowing the images I provide to only be used for prints. not anything else.
3. A "digital negative" deletion date that follows soon after the license to use my images expires.

My images are analog negatives and will need to be drum scanned to meet the print dimension/quality requirements. How reasonable is it to include a clause that protects me from being left to eat the production costs if they decide for some reason not to sell my prints?

I'm not familiar with this type of situation, and the fact that I'm handing over digital negatives makes it way more complicated
so I'd like some insight on what I am overlooking.

Thank you!
So who is the Online Store? First thing is to invest a little time researching.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 07-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.