Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Business Insurance

I am going to start dabbling in newborn photography. My first two "customers" will likely be friends who I will not charge any money- just have them sign a model contract.

When do you think I should get insurance? Right away because I'm working with newborns or wait till I start having paying customers?

If you have photo biz insurance when did you get it and why? If you don't mind sharing- how much is it a year?

06-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you're starting a business get insurance as soon as you can (money permitting), as long as you have the right insurance for what you're doing.
06-01-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by VBW Quote
I am going to start dabbling in newborn photography. My first two "customers" will likely be friends who I will not charge any money- just have them sign a model contract.

When do you think I should get insurance? Right away because I'm working with newborns or wait till I start having paying customers?

If you have photo biz insurance when did you get it and why? If you don't mind sharing- how much is it a year?
  • You can't be partly pregnant, they are customers or friends, pick one.
  • If friends, just take the pictures. You've the same liability as if you were over for dinner and spilled wine on the rug or tripped over the dog.
  • If customers, get a State Business License & Tax ID, Local Privilege Permit if required and a Business Liability Policy. I used to use the PPA policy but switched to State Farm with an Inland Marine Rider for my gear. They cover my house & cars, so with the discount, about $320 a year based on 10K of equipment coverage. I'd recommend a Fed Tax ID & Biz Checking account. Then quote them a price for the session & prints. Plan on filing State Sales Tax Returns and at least a Fed Schedule C. Keep track of your mileage and expenses.
  • I only get Model Releases signed for my occasional commercial customer and grant the customer usage rights. Dentist office staff & patients, local leather goods mfr are examples.
  • Most of my work is retail portraiture, by referral. I ask permission to display some on my blog and website. Just keep the e-Mail responses and if anyone changes their mind, take it down. .
  • Occasionally, I shoot for a local publication. That's editorial use, doesn't require a release.
That's the short, not local to you, non-lawyer answer. Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist or amateur, I've friends who create incredible work. If you're going to do it, make it a business, then do it, realistically, by being realistic about your expenses and time and charge realistic prices. Invest the time to learn about your state and local laws.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 06-01-2015 at 08:55 PM.