Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not one, not two, not three, not four, but a wedding where half attendees are bob.

Don't be that guy!

02-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"You know what grinds my gears!"

You know what's even worse? When you're friend is asked to bring their DSLR to the wedding by the groom "just in case" and their pictures are better than the paid photographer for the evening...
Awkward..
02-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Good to know- I never thought of this as the last wedding I went to was during the pre-smartphone era. Thanks for sharing this!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

No doubt, it's hard to be a pro photographer at weddings now, particularly with everyone having a cell phone camera and many wanting to use it. I don't see how you can stop it though. Many people attending the wedding want to create their own memories of their friends getting married.

02-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's up for the bride and groom to possibly stop it. What they need to do is tell everyone ahead of time on "save the date" and "wedding rsvp card" as well as announce it on microphone on wedding day to not use any sort of camera device so the photographer of the event can focus on his/her job. Have a group of close friends/family - One of them go on stage to announce no camera devices for every hour of the event.
02-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Don't be that guy!

Half the attendees are named Bob?
02-14-2016, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Not one, not two, not three, not four
This is when you need a good mechanical camera like an LX and a EMP generator to take down everyone else.

02-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This happens all the time not only in weddings with people using cell phones. There are also those who have big DSLR/lens hogging at the front of the stage (with no concept of photographer's etiquette), as you can see in one of the many shots ruined by that.

02-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Half the attendees are named Bob?
I don't get it either.
02-21-2016, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I don't get it either.
I think it's a play on the terms for the "Weekend Warrior" the amateur wedding photographer, who are sometimes also known as "Uncle Bob" cos they do it all on the cheap like if they were a family member.

But then I could be totally wrong.
03-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #11

Thanks for sharing! Even I haven’t thought much about this before. This video made me realized how cheap it is to take photos without considering the time and situation. Like Adam said, the pre-smartphone era was okay, but now the situations have been entirely different and weddings have been a location for smartphone photoshoots and selfies. Last month when I went to a wedding there was a beautiful wedding photo booth and I saw peoples taking snaps without considering the bride & groom. It is really bad to be like that.
05-16-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's up for the bride and groom to possibly stop it. What they need to do is tell everyone ahead of time on "save the date" and "wedding rsvp card" as well as announce it on microphone on wedding day to not use any sort of camera device so the photographer of the event can focus on his/her job. Have a group of close friends/family - One of them go on stage to announce no camera devices for every hour of the event.
Yeah clearly the whole wedding happen so that the pro photographer can make some money easily. It is about easing the pro photographer job... And not at all about the bride and groom, the family, the attendees enjoying the moment or whatever.

While I would expect the pro photographer to show some authority to setup some key shots and get the best spots, I don't think he would have to rely on preventing other to take picture. It make absolutely no sense.
05-16-2016, 03:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn't seem to matter who wants or says what at some of these events, there will always be some self-centred nitwit who will insist on standing up, moving in and blazing away with their phone or camera, just because they think that rules don't apply to them.

I like Kerrowdown's solution, except you'd have to check if there were any pacemakers involved, first.