Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinJ Quote
I just want to make sure that if I invested in new lenses and other accesories and start shooting portraits or weddings in the future or go pro later on (after I practice and learn everything I can) I would not be wasting money with having to switch to Canon or Nikon. Which I realy don't want to because I like the look and feel of the pentax cameras.
Hmmm...I was going to say that if you did eventually decide to go pro and wanted to change gear, you could write the new purchases off your taxes as a business expense. But then I noticed you were from Canada so I wasn't sure if my statement was true for you or not.

09-08-2008, 04:14 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Hmmm...I was going to say that if you did eventually decide to go pro and wanted to change gear, you could write the new purchases off your taxes as a business expense. But then I noticed you were from Canada so I wasn't sure if my statement was true for you or not.
We can do that here to.
09-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I know quite a list of pro's who use and trust in pentax and never complain. bejamin on these forums, also trust in Pentax. This comes down a silly debate again. So many of these threads around. The reason why so many people choose XYZ brands lies in the marketing of said capatlistic company and not the product.
09-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No.... No Pros use Pentax!

You cannot get your Professional Photographer" license and discount card without presenting your receipt for Canon or Nikon gear to the "Registrar of Professional Photographers." You must also show monthly receipts for purchases of more Canon or Nikon gear to maintain your credentials.

Anyone caught using anything other than a Canon or Nikon at a certified "Professional Photographers Only" event is shipped off to the Holga Factory in China where they are forced to manufacture Canons and Nikons (Didn't you realize that Canon and Nikon are both subsidiaries of Holga).

Users of certain legacy camera brands are exempt for these policies. Leica users tend to be able to run very fast (due to practice fleeing upset subjects of street photography) or are friends with people who have guns (from years of war zone coverage). Hasselblad users simply threaten to hit anyone trying to pester them over the head with their huge cameras or set their well paid body guards on the hapless CaNikoniers.

Sarcasm off...

OF COURSE SOME PROFESSIONALS USE PENTAX.... CANON AND NIKON DO NOT RULE THE WORLD!

Now, speaking seriously... Buy Pentax with confidence. Any Pentax DSLR made today is superior in capabilities to cameras of 30 years ago and Pros did quite well with those then.

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-08-2008 at 07:53 AM.
09-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is another thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/35167-famous-photographers-using-pentax.html

And yes there are various that make a living from weddings and portraits, using Pentax. But generally it is all about skill.
Try the search here and at DPr.

Still quite a potion left, in order to use Fuji, and back-up Nik0n.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-08-2008 at 07:24 AM.
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Asking whether you can be a professional/commercial photographer using Pentax gear vs Canikon is like asking whether you can be a journeyman carpenter using a Hitachi table saw vs a DeWalt or a Bosch. The biggest differences are color and price.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
OF COURSE SOME PROFESSIONALS USE PENTAX.... CANON AND NIKON DO NOT RULE THE WORLD!
They merely rule the world of marketing. They inject product placement via sponsorships of "pro shooters" with shiny lenses larger than Barry Bonds' baseball bat and lay down big bucks to be the "official sponsor" of every major sport. Not to mention TV commercials, billboards and two-page ads in nearly every magazine on the planet. Do all that and you create the perception that "pros" would never dream of using anything else (I didn't say less).

I also have an unsubstantiated theory that at least Nikon made their first serious grab for market share way way back with of all things: sex. And by that I mean Playboy Magazine. 1000s and 1000s of red blooded horny men worldwide "reading" Playboy over the years saw photo after photo taken by some legendary photographers and a huge number of the photo credits were Nikon cameras and equipment. A lot of (at least male) budding photographers at some level or at some time want to take pics of nekkid wemenz - and if you wanna be great at something one of the ways you do that is by modeling yourself after one of the greats. If your hero shoots Nikon then what are you gonna want to do?
09-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

And even Canon doesnt have a song where they are mentioned.....

"...
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away
..."

Might be a different world if Paul Simon had owned a Spotmatic.... Oh, the possibilities...

09-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
Inactive Account

"Might be a different world if Paul Simon had owned a Spotmatic.... Oh, the possibilities..."

now thats funny
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

We need a "Connections" episode outlining how Hugh Hefner and Paul Simon shaped the photographic world of today.
09-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

PlayKon...

Hugh Hefner and Paul Simon's undercover plan to boost Nikon sales...
09-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Pulitzer prize winner Jay Dickman started out with a Spotmatic his dad bought him to replace an Instamatic. His digital setup is Olympus in part due to them
sponsoring some of his "expeditions."

Jay Dickman: The Eyes of a Story

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=337758
09-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I shoot professionally on pentax. It makes the rent and I'm happy.
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
As I've said on another previous thread on this forum:

I have jostled, forced with elbows, in some very mixed company of Nikons and Canons and never feared to be different. It’s all about the image you get, not the equipment you use and Pentax for me has always allowed me to bring home the bacon.
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm starting out as a pro.

Yes it's about talent.

If you can't understand light and colour it doesn't matter how much @£$ you spend, your photos will look just ordinary.
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #30

Original Poster
Well thats all good to know because I love me K200D. I feel alot more confident in going out and purchasing all the accessories, lenses that I can get.

Thanks

Some of the sarcasm post were pretty funny.

Kevin