Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II on Pentax k-01

I have lenses from an EOS Rebel film camera, one is in the title. I've exhausted my search skills trying to find a definitive answer so here I am.
I found a lot of adapters to make Pentax lenses work on Canon but not vice-versa.

Will the lens in the title fit on a Pentax K-01? If it will what adapter will work? Links to where I can purchase such an adapter are sought after and much appreciated.

04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is no. Because the registration distance is different.

You can use pentax on canon but not the reverse.
04-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
I found in the Q forum that someone did have success using this lens on a Q camera (are all Qs the same?). But does the Q have a different mount than the K-01?
Does this info mean there might be a way to get the EOS EF onto a K-01? Or is the Q similar enough to the K-01 that I should get a Q? I was thinking the Q7.
04-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Pakal Quote
Does this info mean there might be a way to get the EOS EF onto a K-01?
No.

Or is the Q similar enough to the K-01
Nope

that I should get a Q? I was thinking the Q7.
Depends. What's your goal anyway?

M

04-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-01 uses k-mount and cannot use canon lenses. Q uses a different mount entirely and with an adapter can use many different lenses. You might check in the Q forum on whether your lens will work.
04-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
@Miguel, my goals are to get a new camera, not spend a lot of money (<$300) and get a camera that can use many different lenses. I see that this camera can use many different lenses. It can't use this lens but that might be ok.
04-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@Miguel, my goals are to get a new camera, not spend a lot of money (<$300) and get a camera that can use many different lenses. I see that this camera can use many different lenses. It can't use this lens but that might be ok.
Thanks for providing more information. I wouldn't make finding a camera body for this lens a high priority. It is an older version, fits only Canon EOS bodies, and is worth about $100 on the used market. Basically for $300 you are looking at something smaller and generally less sophisticated than a new DSLR. Nothing wrong with that, but it depends on your needs. The Q series of cameras are very small and pack a lot of options, but the experience is different from a larger DSLR if that matters. Larger mirrorless cameras from Olympus and Lumix (among others) are also worth considering as they have multiple lenses too. Consider looking at used camera bodies which will come closer to meeting your budget.

It's great that you have identified having interchangeable lenses as a requirement. Now you have to figure out what you are going to do with your photos output wise, and what your budget will be over the next couple of years when the desire to accumulate additional lenses is commonly felt or even enjoyed.

M

04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
@Miguel, really appreciate the guidance! I also know that the K-01 takes good video. Having something that does double duty's always good for me.

Lumix is panasonic, I have not had luck over so many years with panasonic, so I just seem to avoid them, logical? No probably not.
I had an olympus film camera, very small 35mm, cool camera. Just doing some quick looking there seems to be so many models. It gives me a headache and makes me dislike their marketing dept. for creating so much confusion.

I like this K-01 because I read that there are literally millions of lens choices. That tells me someone's thniking cap is on at Pentax. I've never had a Pentax so I may do my best to find one of these. Or one of the Q models. I understand Q and K-01 are more money but maybe I won't have to buy a new one for a long time and they seem to have good resale value.

And I agree on making this EOS EF a sticking point on my camera decision. I'm not going to do that. I will sell it probably.

Regarding the output, I will use them for ebay/amazon, sharing with friends/family and just my own enjoyment. Nothing like capturing a Carpenter Bee in mid flight through the yard or capturing a good photo of a the biggest Preying Mantis I've ever seen. I like doing macro of flowers and plants.
04-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Use this as a guide
Lens mounts - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

The longer registration value (mount flange to sensor distance) can be mounted on shorter value cameras, but not the other way around.

Your best bet, especially if those lenses are in good condition, is to see if you can use them as a trade-in on a new lens to suit whichever cameras you go for.

And tho' I love seeing someone come in to the Pentax fold, if you've got a significant investment in other EF lenses and a set value of cash to spend, a 500 / 550 / 600D might suit better, especially as if you already have suitable lenses, you can buy 'body only' - just take some of your lenses with you to a store to make sure the new body works with them, any decent salesperson who wants the sales commission will help you check.

Edit: Q adapters for EF lenses,.. There's plenty of Pentaxians who'll tell you the good and bad on the Q.

http://www.cirrusadapter.com/servlet/the-244/Canon-EF-EOS-lens/Detail

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995025-REG/fotodiox_eos_pq_adapter_for_canon_ef.html

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-21-2014 at 07:20 AM.
04-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
@PDR, thanks for links and the info I will check them out. I'm not decided on anything and just need to do a little more looking around. Reusing this lens is not a priority.

I may be mistaken thinking that I could find old K-mount lenses from film cameras and use them on this. Am I wrong about this? I like the idea of reuse and do so often.
04-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just to reiterate what others have said and linked to: the K-01 can definitely use any and every old k-mount lenses (though for some of them there are settings that need to be enabled which are not on by default). The Q line-up - a completely different set of cameras than the K-01! - uses a completely different mount, with a much, much shorter registration distance. There are K to Q adapters (and also for other mounts to Q mount) of varying quality and functionality, but you have to be aware of the huge crop factor when leveraging an adapter to mount a K (or other adapted) lens onto a Q camera. The use of adapted lens with a Q camera is best discussed in the Q forum.
04-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
@Doundounba, appreciate the clear cut answer on the K-mount lens, I'm still researching and I'm going to setup some craigslist searches just to see what shows up. I'll do so for a little while so I have an idea if finding usable old lenses is viable for me.