Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone else unimpressed with Pentax/Ricoh at Photokina?

I love my Pentax gear and was excited to see what's new from Pentax (or Ricoh) at Photokina this year. Unfortunately, they announced nothing that remotely interests me.

The "possibility" of a future full frame Pentax body doesn't count as something that's interesting. There are always "rumors" and "discussions" about the first full frame body for Pentax, so I don't really care anymore about what Pentax or Ricoh executives say about full frame unless they are actually announcing the camera and have something to show us.

Frankly, I'd be happy if Pentax stuck with APS-C sensors, but that's another discussion. My point is that every serious camera manufacturer (Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus, Fujifilm, Sony, Panasonic, even Samsung) had at least one new/updated semi-pro or serious enthusiast camera and at least one new "pro-level" lens to showcase at Photokina.

The KS-1 doesn't count because it was announced well before Photokina and it's an embarrassing attempt to attract non-photographers to Pentax with pretty LEDs and a range of paint choices.

Yes, Pentax did announce the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ... but that goes immediately on the list of "lenses I will never buy." I might have been interested in that lens if it was a 16-85mm 2.8 or a 16-85mm f4 constant aperture, or even a 16-85mm f/2.8-4 variable aperture, but 3.5-5.6 is just a bad joke.

If anyone at Pentax/Ricoh is reading this, I hope you're paying attention to the market around you. The biggest stories out of Photokina -- the stories that appear to be getting the most coverage by the most media outlets -- are the semi-pro/pro and advanced amateur cameras and all the f/2.8 and faster lenses.

If Ricoh executives are asking why PentaxForums.com is the only site that is seriously covering Pentax at Photokina the answer is simple, Pentax isn't showcasing new "serious" cameras or "serious" lenses.

If you show up to Photokina with clown shoes you're going to get treated like a joke.

Am I the only person who feels like Pentax/Ricoh didn't even make an effort to showcase something impressive at Photokina this year?

09-18-2014, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Pentax/Ricoh, if you are reading this:

Good job and continue doing what you are doing. I like the 16-85 F3.5-5.6 DC WR, and I can't wait until I see the 70 or 80-200 and the 100-400.
09-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If that 100-400 is as good as the 60-250 then count me in too.
09-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They didn't announce anything impressive, but the overall product lineup and booth certainly looked impressive at Photokina.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I tend to agree with Adam. Take a look at what has been RELEASED from RICOH/PENTAX within the last 12 months!
09-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

No kidding, Pentax was just a basket of disappointment at Photokina this year! I mean, just look at what Olympus announced!!

Oh yeah, all they have is just a (giant) 40-150mm f/2.8 lens, 1.4x teleconverter, and a few "under engineering" lenses for some future date... not even a camera with LEDs all over the front. How disappointing!

Okay, at least Fuji announced a groundbreaking new... upgrade to the X100s, and a 40-140mm f/2.8 lens, and another lens "under engineering" for some future date. Ooh, but a silver version of their flagship camera!

Thankfully, Canon was reliably impressive with their earth-shaking new 7DmkII... (if you can't feel the sarcasm dripping off that, then you're asleep at the wheel)

Seriously, this was Nikon and Samsung's show. Even Leica is getting press for it's rebranding of Panasonic cameras without going all Hasselblad on them!

Last edited by panoguy; 09-18-2014 at 07:55 AM.
09-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So... because Pentax decided to announce a new model a couple weeks before an predetermined date, that "doesn't count"? I don't see the logic. Would it have made a difference to you if Pentax had waited to make the announcement?

I also don't consider the K-S1 to be "embarrassing". The LED lights are functional. Don't like 'em, turn 'em off. The camera itself seems to be competent. I guess you could make the argument that bundling the K-S1 with the plain-Jane kit lens is "embarrassing".

"Yes, Pentax did announce the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ... but that goes immediately on the list of 'lenses I will never buy.' I might have been interested in that lens if it was a 16-85mm 2.8 or a 16-85mm f4 constant aperture, or even a 16-85mm f/2.8-4 variable aperture, but 3.5-5.6 is just a bad joke." Hopefully this narrow-mindedness is not contagious. Why don't we wait to see how the lens performs before condemning it as "just a bad joke"?

09-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The LED lights are functional. Don't like 'em, turn 'em off.
You say they are functional... seriously... what is their function?
I'm actually very curious (no sarcasm)!
09-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty happy with the year so far. Anxiously awaiting more info on the 2 tele lenses, including release dates. Been pining for a tele-zoom and frustrated to no end the Sigma 120-300 never came out in Pentax mount. Hopefully the wait is almost over and will be worth it.
09-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Well they did announce that everything is Under Engineering!
09-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
You say they are functional... seriously... what is their function?
I'm actually very curious (no sarcasm)!
They function as a countdown timer, indicate # of faces detected if you are using the face-detection feature, and glow red in video mode and green in stills mode.

Personally, I'd turn them off, but I don't consider them to be frivolous.
09-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

i'm quite happy the way ricoh is picking up. If you don't like it move elsewhere!
in the meantime:
In an interview with Photography Blog, Ricoh's European Product Manager Laurence Bouly has confirmed that development of a Pentax full-frame DSLR camera is officially underway. No launch date has yet been set, but she said that the launch itself would be communicated through the usual formal channels, rather than Facebook (as Ricoh France did earlier this week). In addition, the two DFA lens prototypes (high magnification super-telephoto zoom lens and large diameter telephoto zoom lens) on show at Photokina are actually full-frame lenses, rather than APS-C
09-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
They function as a countdown timer, indicate # of faces detected if you are using the face-detection feature, and glow red in video mode and green in stills mode.

Personally, I'd turn them off, but I don't consider them to be frivolous.
Oh... if they actually do that then is not such a bad/useless design.
I like the idea of the countdown timer. I hope people will at least be able to choose what modes the lights are on or off.

Thanks!
09-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
If Ricoh executives are asking why PentaxForums.com is the only site that is seriously covering Pentax at Photokina the answer is simple, Pentax isn't showcasing new "serious" cameras or "serious" lenses.
Photographyblog, which draws more traffic than both Pentaxforums and Imaging-Resource, has the Pentax FF news and DFA lens prototypes as its current lead story.
09-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

While they did not have the most exciting, game changing news, everything Ricoh has done and led up to the show indicates that they care and are moving toward the right direction. That's far more important to me than who wins the show.