Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 05:53 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And so.... she called the cops on me!

I grabbed my camera and my dog and I went for an afternoon walk. During our stroll, I came upon a small tree next to a house, so I stopped, ON A PUBLIC SIDEWALK, and began taking pictures of some birds in the tree. A car came screeching up alongside me and a woman yelled, "What do you think you're doing?" I explained to the elderly old gal that I was merely taking photos of the birds. She said, "That's MY house where the birds are and I don't want you taking pictures of them! Leave!"

I told her I was NOT going to leave, as I was on a public sidewalk and was doing nothing illegal. She said, "Well then, I'm just gonna' call the cops!"

"Fine," says I. "Go ahead, I'll wait."

I hung around and continued to take photos of leaves and birds and general stuff and about 10 minutes later a cop showed up. When he pulled alongside me, he had a big grin on his face and said, "So.... you're the guy shooting birds, huh?"

I replied, "Yes, I am indeed the 'bird-shooter'"

He chuckled and we chit-chatted for a while and he said he'd contact the woman and assure her that I was NOT a terrorist and was harmless.

Sheez..... she needs to get into the holiday season!

This is the scene of the crime! And.... the little sparrow waved goodbye as I left!

Last edited by Dewman; 03-09-2015 at 11:12 AM.
11-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You are one brave man !
well done for standing the ground.. the sparrow looks like a worthy capture indeed
11-26-2014, 06:11 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know man. I think you should have at least been tazed. Hysterical
11-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

11-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good on you, way to stand your ground.
11-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I grabbed my camera and my dog and I went for an afternoon walk. During our stroll, I came upon a small tree next to a house, so I stopped, ON A PUBLIC SIDEWALK, and began taking pictures of some birds in the tree. A car came screeching up alongside me and a woman yelled, "What do you think you're doing?" I explained to the elderly old gal that I was merely taking photos of the birds. She said, "That's MY house where the birds are and I don't want you taking pictures of them! Leave!"

I told her I was NOT going to leave, as I was on a public sidewalk and was doing nothing illegal. She said, "Well then, I'm just gonna' call the cops!"

"Fine," says I. "Go ahead, I'll wait."

I hung around and continued to take photos of leaves and birds and general stuff and about 10 minutes later a cop showed up. When he pulled alongside me, he had a big grin on his face and said, "So.... you're the guy shooting birds, huh?"

I replied, "Yes, I am indeed the 'bird-shooter'"

He chuckled and we chit-chatted for a while and he said he'd contact the woman and assure her that I was NOT a terrorist and was harmless.

Sheez..... she needs to get into the holiday season!

This is the scene of the crime! And.... the little sparrow waved goodbye as I left!
The power of photography! You have evidence if you need it
11-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Homeland security

Another photo terrorist apprehended!

Chris

11-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't know man. I think you should have at least been tazed. :Hysterical:

Blue, my man! You're my kinda guy! LOL!!!
11-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

She was just upset you didn't ask her to model
Bet that would have been a good one for the caption contest.
11-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was NOT a terrorist and was harmless.
Harmless shooter
11-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In the end she gone mad because you were shooting in the direction of her house, even if you were shooting birds. People is paranoid lately, but sometimes they are right.
I think that I wouldn't wait for police, just to avoid any discussion, but you acted in the best way!
11-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I can understand her anxiety, though it was not warranted. It's a different world than it used to be. I try my best not to offend when shooting, even if the law is on my side, and where I live the law is very clear that the photographer has broad rights with his camera.

Happy to see that it all worked out. You should mail her a photo of the bird and also one complimenting her on her new roof! You know her address.....I bet that would ease her anxiety and maybe even put a mile on her face???

Regards!
11-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had a woman in my park go absolutely ballistic on me for photographing her Christmas lawn display one night. I was actually asked to by the woman that does our monthly flyer and I finally told her that but not before she gave me heck about photographing her lighted snowman, from the sidewalk. Even then she wasn't happy.
11-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If the woman had approached me with a civil tongue, things would have went much smoother. But, she was insulting and quite rude. I'm 69 years old. I've been through one war and two divorces and not too prone to put up with that kind of BS.... know what I mean? So, I was going to stand my ground, wait for the cops and let the chips fall where they may. I was in the right, and I knew it. She pointed out the policeman that my dog was not on a leash. The officer told her that he was NOT required to be on a leash, as long as he was under voice command and did NOT venture onto her property. She then became even more belligerent. No, I won't be sending her a photo..... she already has enough "miles" on her face! (grin) She was out of line, by a country mile. Beyond rude. Totally disrespectful and disparaging. I WILL NOT tolerate that, from man or woman. But, it added a little excitement to my otherwise peaceful, placid walks. (rolls eyes)

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
11-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

But, she was insulting and quite rude.
I guess it's easy to be a woman with a camera than man. I had some unfriendly attitude toward a camera (especially with big lens ), but I'm smiling and play "just got a camera and practicing". Last time I did it in laundry mat a week ago, and the manager relaxed and smiled to me back.
The "real" cameras are intimidating or what?