Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'54 Chevy Panel Delivery Van

A friend of mine has a '54 Chevy Panel Delivery van he's fixing up. He's got a long way to go, but it's drivable. It has a dual overhead cam, 4-valve-per-cylinder, fuel injected, 270 HP 6-cylinder engine from an '86 Chevy Trail Blazer. It has an 8-speed automatic transmission, as well. He's installed power windows, custom bucket seats, a kick-ass stereo, tilt-steering wheel and front and side air bags. This thing RUNS!

Last edited by Dewman; 08-19-2015 at 02:52 PM.
03-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That will be one very cool-looking ride when it's finished! Strange seeing that modern engine under the hood, though.
03-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
270 HP 6-cylinder engine from an '86 Chevy Trail Blazer. It has an 8-speed automatic transmission, as well.
Looks great and will be a ton of fun to cruise in.

I think you got the year wrong. That's the 2006 4.2 I6.

I'm not familiar with automatic transmissions, but am curious as to where the 8 speed came from? Maybe 6spd?
03-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Typical GM - only 60 years old and already rusting! They just don't make 'em like they used to...

Chris

03-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Looks great and will be a ton of fun to cruise in.

I think you got the year wrong. That's the 2006 4.2 I6.

I'm not familiar with automatic transmissions, but am curious as to where the 8 speed came from? Maybe 6spd?

You are absolutely right.... it IS a '06. My hearing being what it is, I misunderstood him on the phone to say "eighty six," vs '06. The eight-speed tranny, I'm only repeating what I was told. Still, a cool old car. FYIW, he recently told me he changed out the "chip" and it now has 320 HP.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-30-2015 at 01:11 PM.
03-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

he changed out the "chip" and it now has 320 HP.
No doubt the easiest part of building the hot rod!

Chris
03-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The eight-speed tranny, I'm only repeating what I was told.
Definitely a cool car by far. I wonder what the donor of the 8spd was.

03-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Definitely a cool car by far. I wonder what the donor of the 8spd was.

I just got off the phone with the owner and he said the transmission came from the same Chevy Trailblazer the engine came from. That's all I know about it. I'm not much of a wrench-turner.... being more of a guy involved with wood and carpentry all my life. I DO know, I'd love to own that car. I can see it painted shiny black, with deep tinted windows, old-style five-spoke Krager mags, BF Goodrich 50-series TA radials and a nice mellow exhaust tone coming from a big-block V-8. Maybe a 375HP 396? Oh yeah! Just thinking about that gives me morning wood! And chrome..... LOTS of chrome! The grill is just screaming "Chrome me! Chrome me!" No flames, no hood louvers, no hokey looking stuff.... just semi-stock, but still, something that says "Bad to the Bone!"

But, sadly, the owner want's to keep it a "rat rod."

Not long ago, I was at the local GM dealership and there was an older guy, about my age, that had a new two-door Cadillac (one of the real hot rods) in for servicing. It was all black, on black in black.... if you know what I mean. He had had it pinstriped, two-tone, deep purple and lavender. It was very tasteful, not gaudy. Hardly any flourishes, just very thin, dual lines that followed the body creases. The colors were absolutely striking against the gleaming black! One of the most beautiful newer cars I've ever seen. I wish I had had my camera with me. It was something to behold!
03-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just got off the phone with the owner and he said the transmission came from the same Chevy Trailblazer the engine came from. That's all I know about it. I'm not much of a wrench-turner.... being more of a guy involved with wood and carpentry all my life. I DO know, I'd love to own that car. I can see it painted shiny black, with deep tinted windows, old-style five-spoke Krager mags, BF Goodrich 50-series TA radials and a nice mellow exhaust tone coming from a big-block V-8. Maybe a 375HP 396? Oh yeah! Just thinking about that gives me morning wood! And chrome..... LOTS of chrome! The grill is just screaming "Chrome me! Chrome me!" No flames, no hood louvers, no hokey looking stuff.... just semi-stock, but still, something that says "Bad to the Bone!"
Ha! I've been into cars my entire life and just started getting into woodworking in the last 2 years. If the car pictured above were mine, I'd leave it the way it sits now, repaint it the original color, and plan for many miles of cruising with the updated drivetrain.

I'm not a fan of "rat rods" either, but my definition of "rat rod" may vary from yours.
04-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

Nice looking car.