Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 02:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Only in Idaho

I was taking a day trip today, enjoying the gorgeous weather and when driving through a little town called Emmett, I saw this young man riding his mule down main street! Imagine that. Only in rural Idaho!

Last edited by Dewman; 08-19-2015 at 02:52 PM.
03-29-2015, 02:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice capture and the lad is progressive; there aren't many modes of transport where the byproduct is good for the garden. It does look like he could do with a built in cupholder though.
03-29-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never seen anyone riding a mule down the street. But I've seen plenty of horses being ridden down the street. Horse & Buggies too. The signs are everywhere in rural NY now along with the 'emissions'. Lots of cheap land in Upstate NY so the Amish have been coming here in droves from the Midwest & Pennsylvania. There are even plans for a new equestrian arena at the State Fair Grounds here in Syracuse.
03-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good for that young man! At least he's not texting and driving!

Couple times a year, cars are held up on one of the highways here, as ranchers on horseback herd their sheep from summer/winter grazing, or back. People get so impatient; while I sit there & enjoy a scene that has taken place since the territories were settled! Really neat to see an actual sheepherder's wagon, also. Very interesting to see the herd dogs work the sheep to keep them together. Now, mind you; this is on an actual highway!

04-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

My daughter is in Salmon and you do see horses out and about... once I think a friend of mine there took a pic of one tied up outside of a bar! LOL! At least they weren't drinking and driving!
04-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
My daughter is in Salmon and you do see horses out and about... once I think a friend of mine there took a pic of one tied up outside of a bar! LOL! At least they weren't drinking and driving!

It takes a hardy stock of people to live in the Salmon area year-round. Frigid-cold in the winter. The drive from where I live in SW Idaho to Salmon is one of the most beautiful trips imaginable. Absolutely stunning.
04-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
It takes a hardy stock of people to live in the Salmon area year-round. Frigid-cold in the winter. The drive from where I live in SW Idaho to Salmon is one of the most beautiful trips imaginable. Absolutely stunning.
I grew up there.... moved when I was 18 and got married. Living there I never really thought much about the winters. I guess since I grew up in them the 30 below temps were just a part of life. LOL! After 35+ years living in the So Cal desert I'm not sure I could handle the winters there anymore, but then again if I hit the lottery that will be the first place I will move back to. Of course my daughter and her family living there now is a deciding factor too. They don't mind the cold, they even manage to deal when the water freezes and they have to go out to the pump house and haul in water.... then again they are younger (than me).

04-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't mind the cold winters, much prefer that to extreme heat!