Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tariff on lens overseas to USA?

HI all,
Im looking at buying a Lens from a Japanese seller in the $300-$400 range. Any idea if there will be any tariff due when I pick it up at the post office and roughly what that would be?

Anyone here in the USA run into any problems with lens shipments from overseas?

Thanks,
Al

03-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what the law is but every used lens I purchased from another country had no tariff.
03-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
Ive never run into it on any Lenses from Canada to the USA. But all the Japanese sellers mention them as being the buyers responsibility ...which I understand. But trying to figure out what that may be is a bit challenging.

Al
03-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I don't know what the law is but every used lens I purchased from another country had no tariff.
Really? In my country (part of EU) it depends on how high the price is and where the package is from. If the package is from within EU Schengen zone, then no duties are paid. And the price must be listed on the package, even if it is declared a gift. If the price is above a certain range, around 50 euro, you pay import duties (a percentage). It generally depends on the person who reads the writing on the package, sometimes packages slip under the radar so to speak. Especially ones that contain used goods and don't look very spiffy. But sometimes, the package might get "randomly selected" for control and they can even challenge its value, confiscate a counterfeit, and so on.
Dunno about the USA, though. Probably depends on state laws

03-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Tariffs are Federal taxes. States have no authority over any import regulations or duties. I believe the US Customs and Immigration web site will point a path to finding a cost estimate
03-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks...appreciate the suggestion.

Has anyone here in the USA bought a lens from Japan and had it shipped here?
03-29-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Has anyone here in the USA bought a lens from Japan and had it shipped here?
I have purchased 7 different lenses from japan, (including a couple of pricey ones) and shipped to US and never had to pay any extra fees. I don't know if there are any situations that you could have extra fees, but I can soundly attest that I've never had any.

03-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
I have purchased 7 different lenses from japan, (including a couple of pricey ones) and shipped to US and never had to pay any extra fees. I don't know if there are any situations that you could have extra fees, but I can soundly attest that I've never had any.
Thank you!!!
al
03-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Tariffs are Federal taxes. States have no authority over any import regulations or duties. I believe the US Customs and Immigration web site will point a path to finding a cost estimate
That would only be pertinent if you are an importer. I am sure they would take donations though.