Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were You Scared Your First Time?

No, not that first time!

I mean the first time you bought something from the Pentax Forums Marketplace.

I have to admit, I was scared. Here I was sending a PayPal payment for $580 to some guy I didn't know who is half a continent away in California. I was trusting him to send me a lens that I was buying from him based on his description and his estimation of its condition. It was a leap of faith. It was something I have never done before - hell, I have never even had the guts to buy anything on E-Bay.

So I made my PayPal transaction and then I fretted. Would it be as described? Would it be damaged in shipment? I checked the USPS tracking site every 20 minutes (not really, but more frequently than necessary). I drove myself nuts.

Well, long story short, all my concerns were unnecessary. Everything went fine. The gentleman in California shipped the lens promptly and via 2-Day mail. It was exactly the way he described it. Everything went perfectly. I am thrilled.

Many thanks to the seller. And many thanks to a forum that has created such a positive culture that I never hesitated in my decision to make the purchase.

Last edited by AggieDad; 05-24-2015 at 10:03 PM.
05-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The first time she was really hot but I was kind of nervous ...oh... wait.

The market place...

No I really wasn't all that nervous about that. I hung out here quite a bit before I ever bought or sold anything. I got to know people a little bit and everyone has been so cordial every single time.

One time I sold a lens as a brand new guy...and when the buyer got it he said 'this isn't like you described'...He then went on to tell me (after the fact) that my lens that I sold him was weather sealed and he didn't know that so he thought he was buying a non weather sealed version. He randomly sent me more money without me ever asking about it. He said he would feel better and more honest if he did... so he did.

Stuff like that has been about par for the course for me.

Another guy sent me a nice hand made ink pen..

I have had nothing but good experiences both selling and buying. It's the people that make all the difference.

Just ask questions and make sure everyone is on the same page and 99.9% of the time expectations are met or exceeded...
05-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, not really. Most of the people I bought from here were older members who I had seen around for a while. I quit using the market for three reasons. First, I don't use Pay Pal and buying or selling anything without it is near impossible online. Second, none of the people I did buy stuff from could ever be bothered to give me any feedback which irks me as it's kind of helpful for other people thinking about dealing with you to see that you've actually had successful transactions in the past. Third, sans Pay Pal, even after nearly 5 years on this forum I could not sell a darned thing. It was a complete and total waste of time for me. Frankly I got tired of watching people not buy my stuff. I can actually sell stuff on CL sometimes so I try to do that instead. I'm also starting to list stuff on Amazon. There are lenses and that that I do want to get rid off, but I won't be doing it here. I don't buy now either...
05-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wasn't nervous buying my first item here. Matter of fact the seller went a long way to work with me; and I was a new member! My 2 K10D's, and 5 lenses were all bought here. They all left me great feedback, as I did for them. I frankly would be aprehensive to buy used elsewhere, with the exception of B&H, and Adorama. Classifieds is #1 with me!

05-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Kinda sorta...but not really. I've bought enough things online that I've gotten over being afraid. Well, at least in a place as well-run as this forum.
05-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well I still haven't purchased something here, but I did just purchase something from another (astronomy) forum where I am a new member. What made me nervous is that the guy didn't communicate for several days after I sent payment, but he did get on recently and promised that the item would be shipped tomorrow. Seems a little odd being that it's a holiday, but he's got good ratings from other forum transactions so I have no reason to not believe him. We'll see. Yes, it is nerve wracking But I'm hoping things go smoothly and he leaves me a good buyer rating, because I'm new and I need ratings so other people can trust me too.

I did post some things for sale on this forum a while back, and a couple people sent PM's. I responded right away and provided additional pictures and information as requested. I never heard back from either of them, so that left me a bit bummed and wondering what I did wrong. I guess it'll come with experience
05-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

He could be sending via UPS or Fedexp. Post office is closed but the UPS stores and Fedexp drop off places might be open depending upon where he lives.

05-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

True! That could be it.
05-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

I have the opposite concern.. selling things here and wanting them to meet or exceed the new buyer's expectations. Always wondering if they send me the dreaded 'it never arrived', 'it arrived but its broken', or 'it arrived but it isn't as you said it would be' messages (which I'm pleased has never happened).

Shipping part is the worst since there is no control over it once the package leaves one's hands. But I've learned over the years which post offices do the better jobs (they are definitely not all equal) and which to avoid locally. Always insure and always get tracking and if there is any cause for concern on the items sold, be honest and explain them up front (before sale) and/or under estimate the condition just to avoid potential dreaded inbox messages. haha basically, treat people as you'd want to be treated.
06-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

so far, I've successfully purchased two lenses from the marketplace here and have been happy with both transactions: both lenses were described exactly and both delivered in a reasonable amount of time...
06-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's only money, so no. Losing money is inconvenient but I wouldn't be buying something like a lens if I couldn't afford to lose the money. Even if the transaction goes smoothly, I could drop the thing a week later and be out the cash I spent on it. If I can't afford the loss of the item in any way, then I don't buy it.
06-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
It's only money, so no. Losing money is inconvenient but I wouldn't be buying something like a lens if I couldn't afford to lose the money. Even if the transaction goes smoothly, I could drop the thing a week later and be out the cash I spent on it. If I can't afford the loss of the item in any way, then I don't buy it.
Not everyone has the cash flow to feel that "losing money is inconvenient". I know I have to save up to purchase something, so to me, "it's only money", doesn't work for me.
06-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Not everyone has the cash flow to feel that "losing money is inconvenient". I know I have to save up to purchase something, so to me, "it's only money", doesn't work for me.
My point is that if losing the money that goes into that lens, an item you don't need for your survival, is going to constitute a major hardship, you probably shouldn't buy it in the first place. You could drop that lens or have it stolen, for instance, so no matter what, your money is always at risk.

Then if you have saved extra money and can afford the purchase, the loss of the item is always just an inconvenience. You still got your rent paid, food on the table, electricity turned on, so losing the item didn't hurt your life. It just was really irritating that you no longer have the thing you worked hard to purchase--but without it, your life still goes on without interruption. That's all I mean.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 06-06-2015 at 07:14 AM.
06-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, these are just things bought with discretionary funds, but a lot of us work a lot harder and take a lot longer to accumulate those funds than others do. So for some the inconvenience can be have a bit more impact, and it can be difficult to be very cavalier about the loss.
06-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #15

I haven't bought anything here yet, as I'm new to the Pentax family, but I have bought things on other forums before. Just be sure to send the money and cover the Paypal fees as opposed to sending the money as a gift and not paying the fees. This way, if anything goes wrong Paypal will cover you.