Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Device to connect phone to internet?

Does a device exist?

I have a computer that is connected to a very fast LAN.
I want to be able to connect my iPhone to this computer with wifi.
So I can use the phone in "make calls using wifi" mode.
The device should have the drivers built in (in other words, it connects
to the computer without the need to put in a disk).

Does such a device exist?

THANKS!

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 09:26 AM ----------

Or how about this? My computer has a tower thing lit up. I think that means wifi (it could also be this other thing I forgot the name).

I have options to set up a wireless, broadbad, ad hoc, or VPN connection. or set up a router access point.

Can I use one of those?

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 09:32 AM ----------

Never mind that is not an option.

05-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the modem or router in your house a wifi capable device? If so, you should be able to turn on the wifi on your phone, then go to settings on the phone and chose "wifi" it should pick up your access. You'll need the password used via your modem/router.
05-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is not at home actually. I have a laptop connected to a LAN and a phone that gets no signal. The laptop would not let me set up the VPN.
See, normally a wifi card/stick is looking to connect to a wireless router. I want to go the other way. Have my phone connect to the laptop, and then
through the laptop have my phone connected to the internet.
05-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
See, normally a wifi card/stick is looking to connect to a wireless router.
|Yes, normally. I know this stuff. I didn't realize you weren't home.
Let me ask some friends and I'll get back to you.

05-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have an AVAYA 9641G VOIP phone. It has extra blank slots on the bottom and back. One USB. One the big computer socket (not sure it is the one you use with a router) and a normal phone size plug (this is for headset the internet book told me). But no mention of the other "LAN sized plug". I have at my disposal a T-mobile cellspot booster that has a USB plug. I also have an extra trendnet wifi router in the basement (somewhere).

The idea is for me to use the internet of which I have plenty here, so my phone will work. Without having to buy another expensive phone. And phone plan...and the tax. The tax on the tax. The fees......etc.
05-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
How to turn your Windows 10 PC into a wireless hotspot | Windows Central
05-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did the how to turn your windows 7 laptop into a wifi hotspot. I got to the second to the last step and it said I could not proceed without administrator privlidges.

05-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Basically what Dickie posted is what you need to do. It's the same advice I got from my tech friends, here's what they suggested.

How to Turn Your Windows PC into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Is it not your computer? Or do you have the UAC (User Account Control) turned on? That could cause you problems.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-26-2016 at 01:45 PM.
05-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's his work computer. He's trying to bootleg the LAN.
05-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Basically what Dickie posted is what you need to do. It's the same advice I got from my tech friends, here's what they suggested.

How to Turn Your Windows PC into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Is it not your computer? Or do you have the UAC (User Account Control) turned on? That could cause you problems.
It is not my computer. I'm not allowed to tell you whose computer it is. That probably says it all.

I don't even have rights to rename a file on a HD I bring in from home. Let's just say it has the most computer security at a very high level.

I think I can run a program from a usb stick ( have done before ). But I'm concentrating on a hardware solution. Even a solution on my desk voip phone.
05-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
It is not my computer. I'm not allowed to tell you whose computer it is. That probably says it all.

I don't even have rights to rename a file on a HD I bring in from home. Let's just say it has the most computer security at a very high level.

I think I can run a program from a usb stick ( have done before ). But I'm concentrating on a hardware solution. Even a solution on my desk voip phone.
You MIGHT get IP for your browser and apps but you won't get VOIP. You have to make your cell phone a remote from your VOIP desk phone.

Good luck with that in your security environment.
05-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Then we can't help you. Per the forum rules:

QuoteQuote:
Discussion of illegal activities is not allowed.
This thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread