Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Pentax in Schools?

I am now taking a photojournalism class at a local community college. Of course, all of the students and professors are either in the Canon or Nikon camps. So, the school's cameras are also Canon or Nikon. Does Pentax ever get involved with photography programs to loan them cameras and lenses? It seems that lots of folks know nothing about the brand and I would think that this would be a good way to get new customers for Pentax.

08-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think they'd ever get the money back on that, Joe, IMHO.

A niche brand operating as a non-core part of a big photocopier company has to be very careful what it does.

You might do it in a potentially expanding market, but DSLRs is a contracting one, and executives don't like to fight trends by throwing cash at those.
08-26-2016, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

My local high school placed an order for some K-50's to be used in their journalism/yearbook class. The teacher was looking for a tough, weather resistant system.
08-26-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My introduction to Pentax was at university in the 1960s, when the optics laboratory had dozens of them. We even processed our own B&W film, there. A few years ago, a high school teacher friend of mine selected the K20D for his photography class, even though he bought a 5D for personal use. So, the thought isn't new by a long stretch, but personal preferences probably influence such buying decisions, especially when the economics are marginal.

08-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Banned

Overhere it is pretty much mostly canon. It's also about sponsoring, even if it is only just part of the equipement.
08-27-2016, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I work at the Uni in Perth Western Australia.
Years ago we did have various Pentax cameras in our School of Arts , the last one was K100 super, nowadays it is all Canon.
09-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A niche brand operating as a non-core part of a big photocopier company has to be very careful what it does.
doesn't help that the modern office environment is trying to go green (paperless)

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
nowadays it is all Canon.
lack of authorized distributors/dealers of Pentax equipment doesn't help, especially in the south pacific. (schools get goods and sevices tax exemption if they buy from an authorized source)

09-11-2016, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
doesn't help that the modern office environment is trying to go green (paperless)

Yep, interestingly, Xerox decades ago recognized that the modern office might be paperless and developed much of the computer technology we now use at their PARC experimental centre, but failed to actually make products out of their patents before other companies did.

They could have been Apple and IBM put together!
09-11-2016, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Back in the film days, in my area, high schools and Community Colleges used Pentax SLR's for student cameras. Mostly the Pentax K1000 and before that the Spotmatic.

But that was the film days, things have changed in the digital era, from what I've seen.
09-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The paperless office is a fantasy. Bureaucracies thrive on paper. The more the merrier. In the 70's all offices would be paperless just air pollution was going to trigger a new ice age by them mid 1990's. In the US we get pages added to official documents describing how the documents comply with the Federal Paperwork Reduction Act. So Ricoh has a long future ahead of itself for it's office business products line. What bureaucrat would not like a 6 meter long system that can produce printed paper documents by the thousands every day? Think of all that stamping and filing that would need to be done.
09-14-2016, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Educational Pentaxes??

Interesting.

Here in the Atlanta GA area there are several schools with photography courses. These courses typically have a section on film photography. It seems that many of the instructors "suggest" to the students that the Pentax K 1000 is the unit they should buy. As a loyal Pentaxian I applaud the brand "suggestion," but as a result local second hand and antique and "junque" shops have K 1000's available at absurd prices. There are several other good choices, even from C**** and N****, but their entry level offerings aren't in comparable demand.

A little persistence can pay great dividends: not long ago I turned up a Pentax KX, the camera the K 1000 should have been, in truly excellent condition with a 50mm 1.4 A lens for just over $100! And here in the Atlanta area we have KEH and Wings, both excellent sources of good used gear. But how many college students would seek the advice and counsel of the "old farts"?
09-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Original Poster
Just this past weekend I gave my old Pentax ME Super to my 21 year old daughter. She thinks it is really cool. The last time I used it was taking pictures of her as a baby.

As for Pentax digital cameras in school, I am doing my best to show the instructors and other kids the virtues of Pentax cameras. Now I need a K-1 to make them really think about alternatives. ;-)