Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Printer suggestions?

I have to get a new inkjet printer. I'd like to keep the price $100-$150. The big concern for me, is the cost of replacement ink cartridges. I'm mainly interested in good quality photo printing.

Any experience/suggestions?

10-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be interested in this too, Carol
10-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike, hoping we can get some good suggestions!
10-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
-- About 8 years ago I purchased a small epson all in one printer (RX595 I believe)--it has:
(a) the 6 ink clara dyes and
(b) it allows me to print 8.5" (well really 8.24")** by essentially any length (anyway I have done a lot of 8.24"x18.74")
(c) paper feeds from behind and is not constrained by a tray size.
-- I believe it was $70. refurbished from epson, and I use it to proof prints from top of line large espson printers--its that good. It has paper jammed a few times but not a lot.
-- Cost of inks--I am reimbursed by my college so I don't keep usage records--but I am guessing it costs me about $150 a year for the equivalent of fifty 8"x12" (mostly matte) prints.
-- I don't know if epson small printers are still made that have attributes (a) thru (c)--if so I can recommend them.
-- A larger 1430 model is i believe $250. and has (a) thru (c) and takes 13" paper.
-- I would add I use photoshop (PS) for printing, and I let PS set the colors--not the printer
_____
** BTW I strongly suggest you never do border-less printing on any of them. And that means 0.13"x2 margin is lost.

10-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you! I would prefer a printer that just takes the 8x10 photo sheets, and of course regular paper for printing text. I don't do many enlargements, so a package of 8x10 paper lasts quite some time.

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I would add I use photoshop (PS) for printing, and I let PS set the colors--not the printer
That's a very good suggestion!
10-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a epson stylus 595, I bought it when it came out and I still occasionally use it, but I never got really good photo prints from it. ink is about $15 a cartridge. it clogs or dries out easily, don't run the head cleaner, but stick a damp towel under the ink head to let it break down the dried ink, it will save a lot of ink

epson will have clearance or refurbished specials on their website, plus give you some discounts if you sign up with their emails. I like epson products.
10-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The printer I'm replacing is an Epson NX625. It will not operate at all. It showed that the ink needed replacing, so after around $55 for new cartridges, it shows that I must replace the cartridges! Without even using the new ones! I removed/put back in all cartridges, in case they weren't seated completely, same message; I can't use the printer, period. So, I'm a little soured on Epson at the moment. However, I wouldn't discount Epson completely.

Last edited by csa; 10-26-2016 at 12:34 PM.
10-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The printer I'm replacing is an Epson NX625. It will not operate at all. It showed that the ink needed replacing, so after around $55 for new cartridges, it shows that I must replace the cartridges! Without even using the new ones! I removed/put back in all cartridges, in case they weren't seated completely, same message; I can't use the printer, period. So, I'm a little soured on Epson at the moment. However, I wouldn't discount Epson completely.
Try the wet paper towel under the ink cartridge to get rid of clogged ink. I just used hot microwaved water, dipped the paper towel in it, and then let it sit under print head. Although it sounds like a chip problem. Maybe using a q tip and water, rub the little chips on the cartridge and cartridge area. I used to call Epson with issues and then a few times I realized it was simple fix because of clogged ink or dirt even though they were telling me I need to take it to a service center. Epson will replace ink if you get an error that says you need to replace the ink cartridge and it doesn't work after you replace it. I have this problem with ink I purchase from Amazon, so I buy directly from Epson now. Contacting them through chat is not bad. They make you take a picture of the warning you are getting and send it to them as "proof" and then they will send new ink cartridges without having to send the non working ones back. They just have limited hours. I am sure printer out of warranty? If so, then I just try to fiddle with cleaning as much as can.

They are fiddly printers, but I like the quality.
10-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been using a Canon Pixma ix6500 for many years now without any problems at all (and had its predecessor) It's A3 and prints good quality photos, not exhibition standard but very good. it's also possible to buy non branded good quality ink cartridges for a reasonable price. The latest version the ix 6550 sells for about £170
10-26-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched from inkjets because.
1 ink too expensive and 2, I don't print that many color photos anymore. What I need printed can be done at CVS, or Walgreen's. Or emailed to Adoramapix.

I bought a laser printer all in one and haven't wasted money on black ink in 5 years.

All I ever used was Epson inkjet printers.
10-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Try the wet paper towel under the ink cartridge to get rid of clogged ink. I just used hot microwaved water, dipped the paper towel in it, and then let it sit under print head. Although it sounds like a chip problem. Maybe using a q tip and water, rub the little chips on the cartridge and cartridge area. I used to call Epson with issues and then a few times I realized it was simple fix because of clogged ink or dirt even though they were telling me I need to take it to a service center. Epson will replace ink if you get an error that says you need to replace the ink cartridge and it doesn't work after you replace it. I have this problem with ink I purchase from Amazon, so I buy directly from Epson now. Contacting them through chat is not bad. They make you take a picture of the warning you are getting and send it to them as "proof" and then they will send new ink cartridges without having to send the non working ones back. They just have limited hours. I am sure printer out of warranty? If so, then I just try to fiddle with cleaning as much as can.

They are fiddly printers, but I like the quality.
With brand new cartridges, they shouldn't be clogged. The ones that I replaced with the new ones shouldn't have been out of ink that soon either, so I'm pretty sure the cartridges are not the problem. I'm not messing with it, I've gotten my use out of it, so time to replace it. Yes, it's way out of warranty. I've always purchased Epson cartridges from local stores.
10-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mohb!

Photolady; also thanks to you; however, I do want to be able to print photos at home.
10-26-2016, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do want to be able to print photos at home.
I can relate to that as well. When I lived far away from a good sized town, I did print my own photos and sometimes for others too.
10-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm interested in this thread too.Need to replace my HP printer as it continually runs out of ink despite very light usage(I know they dry out quickly).Have vowed not to buy another HP as it stopped accepting non-original cartridges.
10-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

With brand new cartridges, they shouldn't be clogged. The ones that I replaced with the new ones shouldn't have been out of ink that soon either, so I'm pretty sure the cartridges are not the problem. I'm not messing with it, I've gotten my use out of it, so time to replace it. Yes, it's way out of warranty. I've always purchased Epson cartridges from local stores.
It's not the cartridges that are clogged, it's the dried ink that sets on the print head where the inks are held. Clean it once, you will be amazed how much ink sits there. And if it isn't a clogged print head, and the new ink is saying it's out of ink, then you should contact Epson and let them know there is issue with the ink cartridges so that they will send replacements. They will send replacement inks if you take a picture and show the error. I have done this about 4-5 times now with new ink that says it needs to be replaced because it is empty. It's a fault of certain chips. Why Does a New Ink Cartridge Shows Empty? - LINKYO Insights

If you don't want to call them, you can reset the cartridge yourself
How To Reset An Ink Cartridge & Not Waste Printer Ink
It's good to keep it in mind for future, my new Epson surecolor p600 had this issue within months, so all printers are prone to chip issues with the ink, even other brands.