Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens quit focusing on K-01 but works fine on K5IIs

My 40xs on my K-01 started blowing focus intermittently pretty badly this summer after riding around in my quad bag while quading in the mountains. I kinda forgot about it.

Today I gave the camera to my wife to take pics of our daughters birthday party. When I got home I looked at the pics and I think only 3 of them were in focus.

Now here's the odd thing, I can put a different lens on the K-01 and it works fine. I can also put the 40xs on my K5iis and it focuses great. Anyone have an explanation or theory on how the lens and camera can work fine separately until they are paired together? Prior to this summer bouncing around on the quad, this duo was wicked sharp, barely ever missed.

10-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
dewolf

bouncing around perhaps, just a stretch. perhaps the focal length or AF fine adjustment or some other setting in the bios got changed. check to make sure focal length and AF fine adjust are correct. and clean and examine the contacts on the lens and camera otherwise I would reset the camera to factory.
10-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

So what exactly happens with the the K-01 + 40XS? Is it focusing but doing a bad job, or is it not focusing at all?

Since the K-01 is mirrorless it only uses contrast AF unlike the DSLRs which use phase detection when in normal mode and contrast in Live View. I can't imagine how that would make a difference but maybe try your K-5 IIs in Live View mode just to make the comparison a little more accurate.

Any signs of damage to the 40XS?
10-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It focuses but misses. No sign if damage. When I said the camera was bouncing around in my quad bag it made its sound worse than it was. It was in a camera bag, which was somewhat wrapped in coats and stuff which would have taken any hard hits out of the equation. There really isn't any physical damage. I took a pic with the 40xs on the k5ii in live view and it was bang on. I'll have a look at the contacts on the mount of the k-01 and see if there's anything to clean off

10-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it seems I have it solved for now. I did notice the contacts and mount on the lens were dirty so I cleaned it all up and it seemed to help a little bit. It was still not tac sharp as it usually is so I tried the reset.....bingo. All is well. Thanks for the help.
10-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
Well it seems I have it solved for now. I did notice the contacts and mount on the lens were dirty so I cleaned it all up and it seemed to help a little bit. It was still not tac sharp as it usually is so I tried the reset.....bingo. All is well. Thanks for the help.
good to hear. sometimes my settings get wonky due to so many buttons while traveling and forgetting the camera was on. a reset usually gets me back to where I was. if you had any AF fine adjustments set you may have to reset them
10-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
. if you had any AF fine adjustments set you may have to reset them
Didn't think the K-01 had PDAF!

10-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Didn't think the K-01 had PDAF!
I dont know if it does or doesnt, was just throwing it out there
10-27-2016, 04:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah it doesn't have and adjustments. Not sure what was going on but the reset did the trick!
11-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An update......it seems it is indeed the 40xs that's acting up. It will intermittently take sharp pics on both my k-01 and K5IIs but then for some reason will revert back to missing focus. It is too unreliable to use like this so I'm going to have to bail on it. Too bad, it used to be razor sharp.
11-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
An update......it seems it is indeed the 40xs that's acting up. It will intermittently take sharp pics on both my k-01 and K5IIs but then for some reason will revert back to missing focus. It is too unreliable to use like this so I'm going to have to bail on it. Too bad, it used to be razor sharp.
a shame to be sure. any chance of sending it in for repair ?
11-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I could look into it. Might be cheaper than replacing it mind you then I don't get to go lens shopping 😉