Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Dark Photos Using Viewfinder

I just bought and received my new K-50 and am very disappointed. When doing general, spur of the moment photography I like to set my camera on AUTO and the lens on "A". This way it is pretty much a point-and-shoot. I have a K100D that I've used for years and this has been a great feature. However, my K-50 doesn't work that way. Essentially, setting the K-50 on AUTO and the lens on "A" results in dark, if not, black photos. If I use the monitor instead of the view finder, I can get decent shots. But not always in focus (yes, I have anti-shake on). If I use the view finder with F-stops other than AUTO, I can get good photos. But that's a great way to miss a photo when you only have seconds to react. So, if my description makes sense, can anyone tell me if this is normal with the K-50 or maybe I have a defective unit. HELP... Thanks.

07-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you set the camera to spot metering rather than matrix metering? That would explain it. Please post a sample so that we can confirm

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Adam,
Thanks for the reply. Before work this morning I took a few minutes to try spot metering and there is no difference. And as a clarification to my original post, it seems that any time I use the auto aperture ("A") setting on my lens, the photos are terribly under-exposed. Once I select any specific F-stop, then I can get a proper picture (varies, of course, based ont the particular F-stop and brightness of the scene). I've tried several lenses and no difference. The lenses and the auto aperture setting all work just great with my K100D, so this is definitely an issue with the K-50. I have no photos to post because I did the quick check with spot metering this morning while I was ready to run out the door for work.
Keith
07-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post which lenses you've tried?

07-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Can you post which lenses you've tried?
I have returned the camera. Either it is defective or it just isn't what I want. Thanks.
07-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Must be defective. My K-50 on Auto etc is perfect. Too good actually, making me a lazy snapper