Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recommend SD card

This will be for my K50. Which would you recommend?

Sandisk Extreme Pro

Sandisk Extreme Plus

Sandisk Professional

Any other recommendations? I've always used Sandisk with zero problems, so really love this brand.

09-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 maxes out at a write speed of around 45 Mb/s, so you won't benefit much from the pro cards. The SanDisk Extreme series is what I use and recommend:

SanDisk 32GB Extreme UHS-I Speed Class 3 SDHC SDSDXN2-032G-G46

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, much appreciated! Thanks, that's what I'll get with the K50!

Carol
09-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For daily use, I have a 16GB card. I usually format my card before shooting for the day, and the smaller card formats much faster, so I'd recommend picking up a small card too for when you don't plan on taking that many shots. It still has around 600 shots capacity shooting RAW, so more than enough for the week for me.

09-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just curious as to why you format the card before each daily use. I hate to say, with my current camera(s); I formatted the cards when first used, and haven't since then.
09-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the above recommendations, but i prefer to use cards smaller than 16GB. That way, if you lose one or it gets damaged, you still have a backup. I rarely fill it up anyway. Big cards are mostly needed if you plan on doing a lot of video or traveling and keeping a backup. But even while traveling its good to have more cards and to make backups on computer or cloud.

Reformatting in camera is the best because it flushes the card and prepares it in a way, that is best for the camera. Simply "deleting" does keeps all the data, it just flicks a switch that says "meh, nothing here, just write over this."
09-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
[Reformatting in camera is the best because it flushes the card and prepares it in a way, that is best for the camera. Simply "deleting" does keeps all the data, it just flicks a switch that says "meh, nothing here, just write over this."]

Thanks; I've always used a card reader connected to the computer, and "deleted" the images on the card that way. I was not aware that they were not deleted. I've never had a problem this way. Of course I do not take hundreds of shots in a short time.