Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-30: How much card for firmware update

Do I have to buy a new SD card to do my K-30 firmware download? I presently only have a Transcend SDHC 8 gig card that I keep clean. If I format it and then try the firmware update (via the computer with camera usb cable), will that be sufficient?

Thanks

09-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Do I have to buy a new SD card to do my K-30 firmware download? I presently only have a Transcend SDHC 8 gig card that I keep clean. If I format it and then try the firmware update (via the computer with camera usb cable), will that be sufficient?

Thanks
No, you can just use whatever card you use normally. The update only requires a few megabytes of space (out of the 8000 that your card can store)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
yes, that will be plenty. just erase the firmware from the card when you're done by formatting the card in the camera.
09-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

timmijo, go to this page Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging and follow the instructions shown about 1/2 way down the page.
I don't do this too often, so I always read and re-read until I know that I know what it says. But it really is not too difficult. Just take your time; you'll be fine.
The most important things are to format your card in camera before copying the firmware file to the card (which you do from the computer - I use a card reader for this purpose), and be sure the file does NOT go into a folder on the card.

Ps - a quick look on that page indicates the file is small enough fit on a 32MB card, so your 8 gig card is plenty big enough!

09-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! Your card should be more than sufficient. Any card that lets you take photos should be okay, just don't use damaged or really unstable cards.
Also, there are some threads about firmware updates on this forum, with nice detailed guides. Feel free to search for them, they are very clear and there are also answers to questions that some users posed.
I know the first firmware update seems like a big deal, but its really quite simple
Oh, and you only need to download and install the latest firmware, it contains any of the previous fixes and improvements.
09-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone, yes, I noticed a HUGE improvement of the functionality of my K-r after updating the firmware and hope the same holds true for my new K-30.
09-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Do you actually have to format the card in the camera K-30 or K-3? Or can you use the card directly from the package? I have never done a software upgrade so am very new a this and need to upgrade three cameras....

Last edited by DonnaMarie; 09-30-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: left off a sentence.
09-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As the instructions state, use the camera (with full battery) to format. So format in each of the cameras. Process isn't difficult, especially if you read the instructions and take it step-by-step.
10-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

OKAY!!!! Formated both 8 GB cards one for K-30 and one for K-3. Used fully charged battery for the first camera, K-30 and it loaded nicely. Since I also use the battery holder in the other K-30 I am waiting for the D-LI109 to recharge so I can upgrade the second K-30. But hand an already charged K-3 battery ( I have three for backup in the field) and got the K-3 upgraded as well. THANKS to everyone for their help. I was holding my breath that I did everything right. Thanks aganin everyone.
10-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Me, too. Got 'er done. Did it via the camera cable.