Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 02:29 AM   #1

K50 sensor problem

I upgraded from my old K10 to a K50 in June, and have really enjoyed the new (lighter) camera. However 2 weeks ago the pictures I took turned out virtually black - confirmed when you hit the Live View button - indicating an issue with the sensors. All exposure values showed what I would have expected for the conditions at the time, but the images all turned out so dark as to be indistinguishable, whatever ISO settings I selected or whether I chose manual settings or not, and whatever kind of SD card I used.

I took the camera back to Jessops, where I bought it from, to be told it would have to go back for an inspection and repair under the warranty, which could take 6-8 weeks. I am now stuck without a decent camera, as they could not offer me a loan in the meantime, which I find intensely irritating, and annoying for what was (for me) not a cheap camera.

2 issues: 1) has anyone else found the same sensor problem with their K50, and 2) has anyone managed to get a new camera under the sales of goods act rather than return a faulty one for repair and have to wait that long?

10-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Doubt it's a sensor issue, more likely a shutter curtain is stuck or even a lens iris. Have you tried another lens?
But yes, very annoying.
I have a K-50 - so far so good.
10-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Dianadcb Quote
I upgraded from my old K10 to a K50 in June, and have really enjoyed the new (lighter) camera. However 2 weeks ago the pictures I took turned out virtually black - confirmed when you hit the Live View button - indicating an issue with the sensors. All exposure values showed what I would have expected for the conditions at the time, but the images all turned out so dark as to be indistinguishable, whatever ISO settings I selected or whether I chose manual settings or not, and whatever kind of SD card I used.
See if you issues goes away using a lens with a (manual) aperture ring. What you're seeing sounds a lot like the aperture mechanism/motor/actuator problem on the K-30 models.
10-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had lens with a misaligned aperture control lever. It was bent inward and the camera's aperture control arm could not reach it to open it.

10-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

When you find out what the problem is, please post it back here to close the loop. That will help your forum friends when they are trying to help others who might have the same or similar symptoms.

As for your disappointment with the camera failure, I feel for you. The industry standard is that (sadly) between 3 and 5 percent of dSLRs, all brands and all models, will require replacement or significant repair*. Fortunately yours was under warranty and Ricoh/Pentax will take care of it for you. Your K-50 is a great camera and a very worthy tool and with any luck this repair will be the last service you ever need.

BTW: There have been a number of PF members who have mentioned the British Sale of Goods Act and the potential for remedy from the original seller. Have you approached Jessop's in regards to this option?

Steve

* Source: Consumer Reports
10-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks - still waiting for repair shop

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, guys - my hands are tied now as I wait for the repair shop to get back to me (nearly 3 weeks now!), but as the camera worked fine for 3+ months before suddenly malfunctionning, and I hadn't done anything different, I am pretty sure it's a component or software failure.

I'll let you know!
10-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dianadcb Quote
my hands are tied now as I wait for the repair shop to get back to me (nearly 3 weeks now!)
Contact Jessops regarding status. That is too long to wait for a diagnosis.

Steve

10-31-2014, 03:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
No joy

I did call them, Steve, but they persisted in the line that 6-8 weeks is what we tell people, although it may be less than that, and no we can't hurry it up, they are working as fast as they can, and no we don't have any update - they will text you when they have something to report.

To say I am unimpressed is an understatement. I will keep phoning them though, so they are aware I am unhappy, and so they know that this sort of service is unacceptable.
11-07-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Camera repaired!

Just fetched back my mended K50: looks like it was an issue with the shutter and mirror mechanism, although few details cam back from the workshop. All fine now, hope it stays that way! Very frustrating though being without a camera for nearly 4 weeks in the best part of Autumn ...
11-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It seems as if it is the same problem that quite a few of us experienced with the K-30....severe and random under exposure. Some reported aperture motor failure was the problem, but in my case the complete mirror box was replaced. I would've thought they would've sorted out the problem with the K-50...
11-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hope it's fixed!

Interesting to know you had similar problems with the K30: my old K10 was as stable and reliable as anything, and I only expected that, plus more features, from the K50. The under-exposure was incredibly severe but consistent, not random, and pressing LV showed the same results on the screen.

I'll certainly report here any further issues! Otherwise the camera is really great.
11-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It seems as if it is the same problem that quite a few of us experienced with the K-30....severe and random under exposure.
I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope that this is an isolated fault.

Steve
10-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #13

I have the identical problem with my K50 as the original owner post here. The problem came on suddenly. The camera is less than a year old, but unfortunately I bought it on-line from Amazon and have no sales receipt (my bad) to confirm the warranty. I have taken it to a local camera shop and awaiting word on the possible cause. Very unhappy as I am sure repairs will be costly.
10-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikie Quote
I have the identical problem with my K50 as the original owner post here. The problem came on suddenly. The camera is less than a year old, but unfortunately I bought it on-line from Amazon and have no sales receipt (my bad) to confirm the warranty. I have taken it to a local camera shop and awaiting word on the possible cause. Very unhappy as I am sure repairs will be costly.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! Sorry it is under such sad circumstances.

Your Amazon order confirmation e-mail is your proof of purchase. Alternatively, the order history on your Amazon account may be used as documentation. That being said, your U.S. warranty will only apply if the seller was authorized as a dealer in the U.S. and the camera was originally sourced from Ricoh N. America (i.e. not gray market). If not, you may still have remedy through Ricoh, Japan though whether that makes sense given the time and effort involved is debatable. You can contact Ricoh/Pentax USA directly to determine whether they will warrant your camera.

If indeed your camera has the same problem as the OP's body, the cost to repair approaches that of current K-50 body-only prices. That may prove to be your best option.

Steve
11-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikie Quote
My K50 did the same thing too. It only happened once and it started working fine again. It did however shake my faith in the camera not knowing whether or not this problem will return. In another, thread I was speculating that the inside mechanisms are most likely the same in both the K30 and K50? Don't know this for sure though.
GR