Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k30 sensor cleaning timer work around?

Hello!

Is there anyway to make the timer when clenaing the sensor take more time?

I hate it when seeing the blinking which fasten up and I can;t focus on cleaning my sensor well.
Why does it have such a short time? Anyway way to make the mirror lock uo for a longer time? I would like to perform nice detailed wet cleaning.
Thank you for advice.

12-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What timer? Are you in the sensor cleaning mode option from the menu?
12-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

If you activate the sensor cleaning mode in the setup menu the mirror should be up and shutter remain open until you turn off the camera or the battery exhausts. You should always fully charge the battery first.
12-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
@ Vidusl Darnkess I am in the sensor clenaing mode from the menu

@ Not a Number, but it has the blinking timer and I am sure after 15 mins mirror returns to its primary position. I don;t remember the exact time period, but first time I was cleaning it I was afraid and extra careful and that time shrink really fast and I was just in time to remove my cleaning kit cloth brush thingy before the mirror return to its mirror down position.

Then I though how interesting, video mode can have mirror up and record for a very long time period even with not fully charged battery, while sensor cleaning mode which is essentially is only mirror locked up with turned off sensor needs some fully charged battery and also has a timer. So I was thinking if there is a work around to extend the time given for sensor cleaning in sensor cleaning mode.

12-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is no timer when you click on sensor cleaning mode... it will remain open until 1) you turn off the camera or 2) the battery dies (weak battery).
12-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
mine seems does, I have completely charged battery as recommended, and then wen I go to sensor cleaning mode, the red light on the grip blinks, later on it begins to blink faster and faster with extreme blinking before it close the mirror. And the battery is still on its green color, I can then repeat the procedure.
12-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are in 12 second timer mode NOT sensor cleaning!

You should not be doing this you can damage your camera.

12-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

If you're in sensor cleaning mode, then it should have told you "mirror up". Also, I think it'll tell you if your battery is too low.
12-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Okay gang, let's give the op some credit. I would think he would know if he was in sensor cleaning mode or 12 second timer mode.

Danas, I know what you're talking about. The time that the K30 gives you to clean your sensor is really short. Even with a full battery, it lasts only a few minutes. That's hardly enough time to give it a thoughtful, thorough, and careful cleaning.

What I do is just to have 2 batteries charged. When one runs out, I go to the other. It doubles the time I have to clean the thing. It's still stressful though, especially with the ever faster blinking light.

I also sometimes just go in live view mode (which flips the mirror up) and then I give the sensor a "vigorous blow". This is probably a bad thing tthough so I'll say only do that in extreme circumstances.
12-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
Guys, I am not new to cleaning sensors, Pentax k30 has a dust removal system that does completely nothing apart shaking sensor for nothing.

and I am very sure I am in sensor clenaing mode unless my copy has programming error... To prove, here is a picture which menu option I use, that is once I go to sensor cleaning I can choose mirror up.

And once mirror is up, I can clena the sensor, but I have the timer blinking on the grip, see no other purpose for it to blink jsut to serve as a timer how long the mirror will stay up.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2014 at 12:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Okay gang, let's give the op some credit. I would think he would know if he was in sensor cleaning mode or 12 second timer mode.

Danas, I know what you're talking about. The time that the K30 gives you to clean your sensor is really short. Even with a full battery, it lasts only a few minutes. That's hardly enough time to give it a thoughtful, thorough, and careful cleaning.

What I do is just to have 2 batteries charged. When one runs out, I go to the other. It doubles the time I have to clean the thing. It's still stressful though, especially with the ever faster blinking light.

I also sometimes just go in live view mode (which flips the mirror up) and then I give the sensor a "vigorous blow". This is probably a bad thing tthough so I'll say only do that in extreme circumstances.
Finally someone! I was starting to begin that I have a unique copy of K30.

apparently no work around with one battery then? pity.

Thanks for replies everyone.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C6603  Photo 
12-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Menu seems to indicate it will remain up until switched off. What does the manual say?

On the K-50 it also suggests that the mirror will remain up until switched off.
There is a warning error message that appears if the battery is too low to continue cleaning, the manual advises using the AC adapter.
Attached Images

12-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My K-30 stays open long enough for me to clean it with a sensor swab and I've never had it close on me. Just a thought though, are you using the latest firmware version upgrade for the K-30? Don't know if that would make a difference, just a thought. The dust removal system on mine works well. I see a spot in my photo. I hit dust removal, the spot is gone. Guess it depends on the type of "dust" though.
12-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #13

Wow, must be a K-30 thing, because my K-50 stays open as long as I need. Last time it was open nearly 10 minutes! I wonder if Ken's firmware upgrade suggestion would resolve that, or maybe a call to Pentax to ask if this is normal or a (known occasional) glitch.
12-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had my K-30 close on me either. Here's what the K-30 manual says:
1. Turn the camera off, and remove the lens.
2. Turn the camera on.
3. Select [Sensor Cleaning] in the [R Set-up 3] menu, and press the four-way controller 5). The [Sensor Cleaning] screen appears.
Removing Dust with a Blower
The self-timer lamp blinks while cleaning the sensor.
• This camera may generate a vibration sound while cleaning the CMOS sensor. It is not a malfunction.
• You can use the optional imagesensor cleaning kit to clean the CMOS sensor.
• Never use a spray blower or a blower with a brush. They may scratch the CMOS sensor. Also, do not wipe the CMOS sensor with a cloth.
• Do not clean the sensor when the mode dial is set to B.
• To prevent dirt and dust from accumulating on the CMOS sensor, keep the body mount cover on the camera when a lens is not attached.
• When the battery level is low, [Not enough battery power remaining to clean sensor] is displayed on the monitor.
• It is recommended to use the optional AC adapter kit when cleaning the sensor. If you do not use the AC adapter kit, install the battery with ample power remaining. If the battery capacity becomes low during cleaning, the self-timer lamp blinks rapidly. In this case, stop cleaning immediately.
• Do not put the tip of the blower inside the lens mount area. If the power is turned off, this may cause damage to the shutter, CMOS sensor and the mirror.
1. Press the four-way controller (2) to select [Mirror Up], and press the 4 button. The mirror is locked in the up position.
2. Clean the CMOS sensor. Use a brush-less blower to remove dirt and dust from the CMOS sensor.
3. Turn the camera off. The mirror automatically returns to its original position.
4. Attach the lens or body mount cover.
12-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
I wonder if Ken's firmware upgrade suggestion would resolve that, or maybe a call to Pentax to ask if this is normal or a (known occasional) glitch.
This is what I'm thinking. Perhaps it's a firmware thing with the K30 that has been fixed in the K50. Maybe a firmware upgrade will solve it.

(for the record I'm still on the ORIGINAL firmware, around 40,000 clicks and still going strong)

The problem is annoying, but since I clean my sensor maybe once a year, it doesn't bug me too much. Throughout the year a combination of the built-in sensor cleaning, vigorous rocket blowing, and photoshoppery has helped me manage any dirty sensor spots.