Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with K-30 data transfer!

I recently purchased a k-30 from a member here...
There was no cable included (no big deal), but now I'm wondering if I should just buy a replacement cable or should I get an SD card reader?

Is one faster than the other?

My Macbook is my primary computer and doesn't have a native SD slot, so I'd have to get a card reader with USB.
But if it isn't faster than the typical PCvideo cable, then I won't look into it.

Let me know what you think!
I just want to be able to dump 32GB of JPEG and RAW files onto my Macbook the fastest so I can get back into the field.

(I know what most of you will say... Just buy another SD card! well that's gonna happen regardless, but I still need to be able to transfer to my computer and don't want it taking all day! )

01-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #2

Card reader is usually the faster way and you will have less annoying cables. Also you can throw a second card in the camera and dont need to wait for the transfer to finish. As you have to buy new anyway thats the way I recommend.
I use the Kingston MobiLite G3 and am happy so far. The newer G4 looks even more compact. However I never measured time or datarates as it is more than fast enough for me. Other brands have similar products.
01-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
Card reader is usually the faster way and you will have less annoying cables. Also you can throw a second card in the camera and dont need to wait for the transfer to finish. As you have to buy new anyway thats the way I recommend.
I use the Kingston MobiLite G3 and am happy so far. The newer G4 looks even more compact. However I never measured time or datarates as it is more than fast enough for me. Other brands have similar products.
Sounds good!
Thanks!!

I just found one on amazon: Transcend or something?
But it's USB3.0 and transfers 90mb/s plus it's only $7USD
01-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

USB3.0 is amazing if you have a fast SD card. Slow cards are still slow in a USB3.0 reader.

01-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to always use the cable, but then I discovered that my card reader pulls the file off almost twice as fast. Maybe not such a big deal if you're just dealing with JPEG's, but with RAW files the extra speed really helps. My card reader is built into my monitor, so I'm sure it's USB 2.0, so I don't know why it would be so much faster than the cable method (which is also going into a USB 2.0 port), but it is.
01-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Does your Mac have a USB 3 port? A USB 3 card reader will work in a USB 2 port, but at USB 2 speeds, i.e. slower than USB 3. All that said, you'll be future proofed.

One other option is a wifi enabled SD card. I use a Toshiba FlashAir in my K5II. Can view/upload to my phone as well as my PC.
01-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
But if it isn't faster than the typical PCvideo cable, then I won't look into it.
Before you make the mistake; it's a USB cable, not a video cable (at least up to the K5 )

01-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Before you make the mistake; it's a USB cable, not a video cable (at least up to the K5 )
Thanks everyone!

yeah the camera slot just says PCvideo... I know it's usb.

I'm going for the card reader. The one I found is USB3.0 and can read MacroSD which will help with my GoPro as well!

Thanks again for all the advice! this forum is great! lol
01-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

K-30 and K-50 are the same. The USB port reads VIDEO PC.
On the K-01 it reads PC/AV as it did on the K-7. I'd assume the K-5 to be the same.
Attached Images