Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Catch in focus DA 14mm and D FA 100mm?

I have followed the guide on Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com and got 'catch in focus' working on the DA 14mm but the Pentax K-30 screw drive goes crazy when I depress the lock button and simultaneously depress the shutter button.

Is it possible to perform 'catch in focus' with either or both lenses mentioned in thread title following a better approach?

Best regards,
Michael

07-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it could be your wired remote's fault. I haven't used one along with CIF so we'll have to wait for someone else to chime in...but in the mean time, verify that everything works with the shutter button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mln83 Quote
I have followed the guide on Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com and got 'catch in focus' working on the DA 14mm but the Pentax K-30 screw drive goes crazy when I depress the lock button and simultaneously depress the shutter button.

Is it possible to perform 'catch in focus' with either or both lenses mentioned in thread title following a better approach?

Best regards,
Michael
You have your body set for manual focus? Can't say I've ever had the screw drive do anything in manual focus mode. My body is not with me to test but I am pretty sure every time I've ever you CIF I've had the body set for manual.
07-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Duh, yup it definitely sounds like you're still in MF mode. Only AF lenses with an AF switch will support CiF, so I'm afraid you're out of luck with the 14mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mln83 Quote
No.

For CiF, the lens needs to be in MF and the camera in AF. If your lens has no AF/MF switch, it cannot do CiF. Older, manual lenses count as being in MF all the time, this is why CiF can be used with old lenses, as long as they short the contacts (some lenses have a mount that is too narrow, or it is anodized and it won't work).

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2015 at 20:56 ----------

And yes, it a big downside since most DA lenses do not have an AF/MF switch. Pentax just figures you would use regular old AF for those lenses or pre-focus.. I don't know, I would like to see more lenses with AF/MF switch.
07-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you might be able to do CIF if you short the contacts, just like doing the same for the MF lenses with non-conductive lens base. I have not tried that yet....
07-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

CIF does indeed work if I depress both the lens lock button and the shutter button. However this makes the screwdrive run as previously noted.

I might try tapering the electrical contacts to see how that works out.

It would indeed be nice to see more lenses with an AF/MF switch, especially to experiment with macro.

Best regards,
Michael

07-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think what you would have to do is block the AF screw drive from entering the lens, then CiF might work, but i don't think thats a great idea, because the camera expects this to be an AF lens, due to the lens ID. So you would have to block those contacts as well. Basically you would turn the DFA 100mm into a fully manual lens, but that won't be a good idea because the lens has no aperture ring, so you will not be able to choose aperture for the photos.

Aperture ring is the second thing I want brought back Honestly, it would be easier for you to buy an A or older 100mm macro lens. They are all good in terms of image quality, but some really old ones only focus to 1:2 without extension tubes. Problem would be with 14mm, because there are not really any good manual old 14mm lenses that I know of. Samyang is a good modern choice, affordable, but in my experience CiF does not work super well with it because it has such a wide DoF it tricks the camera into thinking things are in focus when they aren't.
07-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you try manual focus with focus peaking, I believe it's more accurate, although I only use it on a tripod.
07-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Why don't you try manual focus with focus peaking, I believe it's more accurate, although I only use it on a tripod.
This is really great, especially with the lens that has QS. But CiF has another function, which is you can just wait and let someone walk into focus. No alternative for that, other than setting up outside triggers.
07-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Focus peaking and CIF serve different functions and it does not use PDAF (CDAF instead with the mirror up). Focus peaking is slow and CIF is fast, as soon as green hexagon is up, shutter is snapped and using the viewfinder appears quickly than using LV.
07-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Focus peaking and CIF serve different functions and it does not use PDAF (CDAF instead with the mirror up). Focus peaking is slow and CIF is fast, as soon as green hexagon is up, shutter is snapped and using the viewfinder appears quickly than using LV.
Yes good point, I can see that could be useful since the OP is doing experiments with macros, a bug walks across and bam you've got him. I was thinking more like flowers, which move rather slowly.