Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 Battery

Hey guys so I am trying to find extra batteries for the K-30.
I got the AA battery adapter, but it drains the batteries crazy when I use the live view mode.

Has anyone ordered those random K30 batteries on places like Amazon? Is it safe? Or should I just find a real Pentax battery from B&H?

07-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloops rechargables are your friend. I use them in my K-30 also. I have 16 of these and they're fairly inexpensive. You ca buy them on Amazon, B&H or Adorama. The first set I bought came with a charger. My first set I bought on Adorama, but other sets, i.e., I bought on Amazon. If you are careful of who they are sold by, it's completely safe. Eneloops are highly recommended here on PF.

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Advanced-Individual-Rechargeable-Batteries/d...words=Eneloops
07-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have used this battery for two years now with no problems: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-Battery-Lithium/dp/B0089PYYA0/re...=pentax+dli109

These seem to be a good deal to me, and I would try these if I needed new batteries since you get 2 batteries with cells that were made in Japan and an extra charger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00598PMY2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_s...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If you are going to be using a lot of live view, then you will have to expect to drain any battery pretty quickly, as I have not noticed my genuine Pentax battery to last significantly much longer than my off-brand one. Have you been using rechargeable AA batteries, like Eneloops?
07-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Echo in here, eh?

07-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Eneloops rechargables are your friend. I use them in my K-30 also. I have 16 of these and they're fairly inexpensive. You ca buy them on Amazon, B&H or Adorama. The first set I bought came with a charger. My first set I bought on Adorama, but other sets, i.e., I bought on Amazon. If you are careful of who they are sold by, it's completely safe. Eneloops are highly recommended here on PF.

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Advanced-Individual-Rechargeable-Batteries/d...words=Eneloops
I'll definitely try out the Eneloops.

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I have used this battery for two years now with no problems: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-Battery-Lithium/dp/B0089PYYA0/re...=pentax+dli109

These seem to be a good deal to me, and I would try these if I needed new batteries since you get 2 batteries with cells that were made in Japan and an extra charger: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00598PMY2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_s...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If you are going to be using a lot of live view, then you will have to expect to drain any battery pretty quickly, as I have not noticed my genuine Pentax battery to last significantly much longer than my off-brand one. Have you been using rechargeable AA batteries, like Eneloops?

I'm detinifly going to try out the Eneloops. I don't use liveview all the time. But sometimes when I'm taking a photo I can't bend down while using the viewport. But I noticed just using regular Duracell, turning on liveview for just a second, the battery gauge will drop ridiculously fast to the point where using it for 3-4 photos my battery will drop half. It's crazy.
07-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
But I noticed just using regular Duracell
Nope, those are not for our higher standard DSLRs, they work good in point and shoot cameras.
07-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
Hey guys so I am trying to find extra batteries for the K-30.
I got the AA battery adapter, but it drains the batteries crazy when I use the live view mode.

Has anyone ordered those random K30 batteries on places like Amazon? Is it safe? Or should I just find a real Pentax battery from B&H?
WASABI replacement batteries worked for my K50 which uses the same battery.

07-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i use both wasabi and eneloops with good results in my k30
07-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have one Wasabi but it sticks in the camera slot, I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove it, so I mostly use my Eneloops.
07-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've bought a pair of D-Li109 replacement on ebay, they worked well for a year. The only problem was I bought 7.2V batterys insted of the original 7.4V so it fooled the battery meter: it gone to red very quickly, but then it produced approxymatly the same number of images as the original pentax. Finally this tow battery get deformed. The pair was 5$, so it worst it.
Then I bought another tow, but now 7.4V. Currently I use this tow and the original and I am satisfied with all of them.
I have the battery adapter also, and 8 eneloop pro-s, but I use them in my Metz 44 flash only. The battery adapter is for emergency.
07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have one Wasabi but it sticks in the camera slot, I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove it, so I mostly use my Eneloops.
That sucks. Is it swollen? If so I would ditch it and get another. Those types of rechargeable batteries can swell which is a sign of bad things. This can happen no matter who made it. Mine fit perfectly I have to look at the label to remember which is which but I do get slightly lower battery life from my Wasabi than my Pentax on my K50.
07-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
They had the actual Pentax K30 batteries when I was in store. But can't seem to be able to find it on their website.

Strange.

How many pictures do you guys get when using the Enelope batteries?
07-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eneloops are fine, but still don't last as long as the Li-Ion batteries.

I'm Wasabi all the way. In my 2+ year experience, they perform just as well as original cells (be patient and run them through a few cycles before judging).
07-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Eneloops are fine, but still don't last as long as the Li-Ion batteries.

I'm Wasabi all the way. In my 2+ year experience, they perform just as well as original cells (be patient and run them through a few cycles before judging).
I alternate mine every other use on the K50 but still see slightly lower capacity from my Wasabi. This could vary a bit but it is nothing worth worrying over even if true.
07-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #15

I've had two Wasabi go 'dead' after a couple of years but that was because I wasn't using my K30 at all for about six months. You've got to 'top off' Lithiums about one a month or they will go bad and not take a charge. I've had good luck with them otherwise (on 4 cameras)