Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #1

K-50 Mirror lock up

Reading photography books and trying to learn my new K-50 at the same time. Does the K-50 have a mirror lock up feature? If so, what does Pentax call it and where do I find it, in the book or the CD? I spent a half hour or so with the book and couldn't come up with anything referencing the mirror except for a parts breakdown identification.
Thanks, folks,

Rick

08-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The facility for mirror lock up is certainly there for sensor cleaning, but I agree there's no other mention of it.

Set the camera to 2 second self timer, then operate the shutter button whilst looking through the view finder.

If the mirror lifts during the 2 sec timed period, (as it does on other Pentax DSLR's), the view finder will go dark until the shutter fires.
08-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 does not support mirror lock-up directly. As noted above, the 2-second delay mode is your best bet.

Steve
08-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

Mirror lockup?

I don't have a k 50 but isn't the mirror locked up when you're in live view?

08-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy123 Quote
I don't have a k 50 but isn't the mirror locked up when you're in live view?
I believe the mirror still comes down in live view, unlike on newer bodies. But the 2s self timer is essentially MLU mode. More advanced models do have a dedicated drive mode for MLU but I think that most of the time, the self-timer gets the job done.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just verified what Adam wrote.

In Live View on K50, the mirror goes up. HOWEVER, when the shot is made it goes back down during the process and then back up at the end. Makes zero sense to me but there you have it.
08-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just verified what Adam wrote.

In Live View on K50, the mirror goes up. HOWEVER, when the shot is made it goes back down during the process and then back up at the end. Makes zero sense to me but there you have it.
I'd assume the mirror is somehow mechanically coupled to the shutter (so it can't be actuated separately).

08-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I'd assume the mirror is somehow mechanically coupled to the shutter (so it can't be actuated separately).
Maybe - but testing 2 sec self timer and Live View gives different results.

2 second self-timer; mirror goes up, 2 seconds elapses; shutter fires. (Set shutter to 2 seconds to see this.)

LV - Live view mirror up, sensor shutter curtain open. Fire shutter; mirror drops and then opens immediately and shutter fires. At the end I think the mirror drops and goes back up as well but I can't recall. The point is these both differ and seems to show there is no mechanical requirement for shutter to drop and bounce back up tied to the shutter activity.

Unless maybe it has to drop at the end of the shutter duration? In that case the LV ends, "ending" shutter open condition, the mirror drops and then goes back up at the start of the shutter actuation. Then drops again at the end. Maybe I need to take a video of both...
08-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Guys, 2 second delay self timer it is.

Rick
02-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by LSAGuy Quote
Thanks Guys, 2 second delay self timer it is.

Rick
The Remote Control (3 sec delay) also locks the mirror up the same as the 2 sec delay. SO if using a remote I would use this function.