Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

k30 and m42 metering problem

I posted a similar thread yesterday on the Troubleshooting page, and thought it might be a good idea to post here as well. I got a k30 last week. I shoot primarily with m42 taks in M mode (previous experience was with kx). I am sure I have the settings correct--aperture ring is enabled and green button set to Tv shift. The camera will meter with no problem in Av mode, but will not meter correctly in M. The shutter speed will only change when I change the iso. When iso=100 shutter speed remains 1/125, iso=200 remains 1/250, iso=400 remains 1/500, and so forth. I have read a lot of older threads about k30/m42 and learned that there may be contact/shorting out problems with old taks and k30. I am confused as to why the camera will meter in Av but not in M. Any ideas on what is happening here? Also should mention, k30 will meter correctly with old pentax-A lens in both Av and M.

I'm also having trouble with autofocus. I don't use autofocus lenses much, but I tried 2 different DA lenses and nether would focus. The focus motor seems to stutter as if the drive shaft is not engaging properly.

I am pretty close to asking the seller for an exchange, but thought I'd see if anyone here has had similar problems.

02-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found Takumars very erratic with metering, needing a lot of +EV compensation wide open, on my K-5. I think this is the nature of the Takumar beast. So long as the more sophisticated lenses are metering correctly, I wouldn't have an issue with that.

The AF problem, however, is far more of a concern. I would be talking to the seller about it at this point if I were you. Politely, but talking to them all the same. If they are honest and honourable, it should be easy to reach a satisfactory solution. (I have encountered this issue ONCE on e-bay, receiving a lens whose aperture had serious issues. My approach was polite but matter of fact about the fault; the seller was horrified, and appropriate restitution was swiftly offered.)
02-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Is your metering also inaccurate when using live view?

I found that metering through the viewfinder with manual lenses hardly ever works properly, whereas it's usually fine (or in the right range) in live view.
02-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
M42 lenses only meter properly using the green button in live view with k30/k50 from what I've found. M and K lenses meter properly using the green button to stop down meter in M mode without live view.

02-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, interestingly enough it does meter correctly for M while in Live View. But why? I've used a kx for a few years, and the green button metering though the view finder was always darn near perfect. It was almost too easy. I'm puzzled why it doesn't work properly with k30.
02-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a number of threads discussing whether various pentax dslr models do or don't meter with the green button in "M" mode. It all revolves around the non-conducting mount. eg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/309561-m...entax-20d.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/297954-p...en-button.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/241114-k...ew-mounts.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/230750-s...g-problem.html