Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-50 green button manual mode

I can't seem to figure out what the green button does in M mode. On my K-5 it sets the proper exposure, but on the K-50 it doesn't seem to do that. Also when in M mode, manual lens, I can't get the exposure meter to move either way. What am I doing wrong.

07-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Forum Member

Probably a silly question but what are your e-dial settings for M mode on the K-50 (Pshift,Tav or Av) ?
07-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The green button on a K-50 in Manual mode simply moves the shutter speed to the program line setting for the amount of light you have. This then allows you to manually adjust the setting from there. Unless I have totally forgotten how it works. The DOF preview is the way to get the meter I thought - but I think that only works on flagship bodies like the K-5, K-3, etc.
07-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The manual says the meter is supposed to work when in M mode to give the proper exposure, but I can't get it to move. So the green button is just a DOF preview?

07-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
The manual says the meter is supposed to work when in M mode to give the proper exposure, but I can't get it to move. So the green button is just a DOF preview?
No - I'm not saying that. Press Green Button - shutter speed should adjust to match the program line exposure for the amount of light the sensor sees. The aperture should stop down during this button press - so the camera is measuring the light with the aperture at your desired setting - and setting the shutter speed to match. Then you can adjust the shutter speed or aperture as you wish to change the exposure. You can also (I think) use EV compensation for under/overexposure consistently applied.

DOF preview does similar things but I thought it brought up the meter bar (on flagships) and allowed you to use the camera slightly differently.
07-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok. That makes sense. But apparently the meter does not work if you are using a manual lens with no A setting. I switched to one with the A setting and the meter worked. But I can use the green button like you stated to get proper exposure. Thanks.
07-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. That makes sense. But apparently the meter does not work if you are using a manual lens with no A setting. I switched to one with the A setting and the meter worked. But I can use the green button like you stated to get proper exposure. Thanks.
Yes an A series lens allows the camera to control aperture and it knows what the setting is so it fully meters. There appears to be some variability of exposure and many people find they need to adjust exposure slightly when using either type of metering.

07-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It should work as described above. I don't have a K-50 next to me at the moment, but I can assure you that stop-down/green button metering is available and does work on your camera, both with K-mount and adapted M-42 lenses. I have used the K-50 with both.

Did you set the menu option for "Using Aperture Ring" to "enable"?

Steve
07-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you set the menu option for "Using Aperture Ring" to "enable"?
Also, the green button action in M mode should be changed to "Tv Shift" from the default of "P Line". See the manual p164-166.

Turn off auto-ISO. I am not sure (no camera in front of me), but I believe that M mode will default to Av mode if using an aperture ring and ISO is auto. In
that case, the green button will do nothing and the lens will remain wide open even at exposure time.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-28-2016 at 02:19 PM.
07-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it works as stated now. I just could not figure it out because it works different than my K-5. Yes, you have to have auto ISO off for M mode or it will default to TAv mode. Thanks.
07-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
KDD
Veteran Member

I have my k-50. Yes green button on top of the body. On right button.

K10d, k20d k-7 k-3 k-5 on back of the body.
07-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
K10d, k20d k-7 k-3 k-5 on back of the body.
Eh? The green button is on top to the left of the shutter button on my K10D.