Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 01:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Remote Shutter Trigger

I'd like to remote trigger my Pentax K-50. I have a couple of Cactus V5 transceivers for my flash, and according to the manual they can also trigger the camera. The crucial step is to attach the V5 transceiver on the camera to the camera itself, using whatever remote trigger port the K-50 has.

The V5 has a 3.5mm port.

From the looks of the actual shutter wired remote on B&H, it looks like I might need the 3.5mm to 2.5mm male-male cable, like this Vello product:

Vello 3.5mm Remote Shutter Release Cable for Cameras RCC-C1-3.5

Am I correct in thinking that this cable will connect the Cactus V5 to the Pentax K-50 properly so that I can trigger the camera with a pair of V5s?

I tried to find the right kind of cable in the manual but couldn't find it.

09-27-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The CS-205 has a 2.5mm connector, so the cable you've linked sounds like it'll do the trick.

Pentax CS-205 Wired Remote reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The wired remote that I use with my K-5 and K-3 II is the following, in case you decide to not use your Cactus transceivers. It derives its power from the camera battery (not very much), so it does not require a battery itself.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

Last edited by C_Jones; 09-27-2016 at 07:12 AM.
09-29-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the replies! I think I'll try the Cactus with the adapter cable first since I can buy a version of it locally, and I'll also order that Vello when I do my B&H bulk shopping (to save on shipping...I miss North American online shopping!)

09-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Thanks very much for the replies! I think I'll try the Cactus with the adapter cable first since I can buy a version of it locally, and I'll also order that Vello when I do my B&H bulk shopping (to save on shipping...I miss North American online shopping!)

You're welcome.
10-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Though this thread is a little old, for anyone who is interested I can confirm that a 3.5mm - 2.5mm cable does indeed work with the Cactus V5 and the Pentax K-50, including the half-button press for focus and the full button press for shutter release.
06-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Though this thread is a little old, for anyone who is interested I can confirm that a 3.5mm - 2.5mm cable does indeed work with the Cactus V5 and the Pentax K-50, including the half-button press for focus and the full button press for shutter release.
Thanks for the spec information. I was curious if that Vello cable would work for
remote shutter trigger with the K-3II and V5 (are connections compatible).

07-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #8

I'd like to remote trigger my Pentax K-50. I have a couple of Cactus V5 transceivers for my flash, and according to the manual they can also trigger the camera. The crucial step is to attach the V5 transceiver on the camera to the camera itself, using whatever remote trigger port the K-50 has.

The V5 has a 3.5mm port.

From the looks of the actual shutter wired remote on B&H, it looks like I might need the 3.5mm to 2.5mm male-male cable, like this Vello product:

Vello 3.5mm Remote Shutter Release Cable for Cameras RCC-C1-3.5

Am I correct in thinking that this cable will connect the Cactus V5 to the Pentax K-50 properly so that I can trigger the camera with a pair of V5s?

I tried to find the right kind of cable in the manual but couldn't find it.
Any 3.5mm > 2.5mm cable/adapter combo should work. It's not necessary to shell out 12 bucks for a special cable. Here is my setup with the v5: https://res.cloudinary.com/powerreviews/image/upload/f_auto,w_877,h_768/prod...wmge6kc5gd.jpg Scroll to the reviews section and look up my 1/13/15 review: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo DICFLAWFTV5D B&H Photo . I will say this setup is finicky & only seems to work when the back screen is active. That said, I haven't used it enough to troubleshoot it very much, so I may be missing some arcane or not-so-arcane setting that would make it work perfectly. Cable: StarTech Right Angle 3.5mm to Right Angle 3.5mm Stereo MU1MMS2RA Adapter: Hosa Technology GMP-471 - Mini to Sub-Mini Adapter GMP-471 B&H

I know this is an old thread, just posting for posterity. I hope this helps.