Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Pentax *needs* to come up with an ASPC mirrorless camera. If they kept the control scheme, lost the mirrorbox (and perhaps shake reduction if necessary), this combination would be one of the nicest *affordable* digital cameras available. Imagine shooting street with an EVIL and the DA 70 (hood removed)...
I am obsessed with this thought at present... If one of the rumoured new cameras isn't something like this I will be very disappointed. I also think that if Pentax makes a camera like this and gets it right they will rule the MILC market.

05-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #32
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The mirrorless camera may be coming, but not in APS-C.
Pentax have done well slimming down their dSLRs and DA ltds.
I think EVIL designs are limited in how they can work with lenses, but the smaller sensor will allow for smaller lenses.
I for one have no interest in the EVIL system. A stripped down K-5 with primes is as small as I'd ever need and I'm not keen to compromise on camera performance, depth of field control, IQ or high ISO performance just for a slimmer camera model.
05-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The mirrorless camera may be coming, but not in APS-C.
So the earlier talk of an APS-C MILC from Pentax was false?

Pentax have done well slimming down their dSLRs and DA ltds.

I think EVIL designs are limited in how they can work with lenses, but the smaller sensor will allow for smaller lenses.

I for one have no interest in the EVIL system. A stripped down K-5 with primes is as small as I'd ever need and I'm not keen to compromise on camera performance, depth of field control, IQ or high ISO performance just for a slimmer camera model.
Sony and Samsung offer credible APS-C SCS's. I don't see why "depth of field control, IQ or high ISO performance" would be compromised? As for camera performance, existing u43 systems support manual focus lenses without a green button....
05-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just took receipt of an Olympus Pen so I'll let you know how I feel about this. My primary incentive was a trip to Asia where the compact size and lack of attention will be major boons.

If Pentax does do a mirrorless I have no idea what they can offer that would distinguish themselves from the m43 alliance. Setting up yet another format seems silly.

05-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #35
Pentaxian

When I first made the switch from film to digital, I looked at everything out there. I already owned film cameras and lenses from both Pentax and Nikon so I had narrowed it down to those 2. The price of the K10D was almost half of the D200 but it was the "feel" of the K10D that really sold me on it. I felt very comfortable using that camera. For the first month, I used it like my Spotmatic in M mode and slowly learned how all the digital do-dads worked. After 4 years I still haven't used half the features of my camera. I despise menus. Having everything I need on a couple of dials I can work without having to take my eye from the viewfinder is priceless.
05-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #36
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I don't see why "depth of field control, IQ or high ISO performance" would be compromised
If it's APS-C, then obviously there's no sacrifice in these areas. But if smaller, then clearly something's gotta give. A new format with new lens lineup is not inconceivable - from my point of view an EVIL APS-C setup isn't attractive. Using the same lenses on a slightly smaller body isn't much to write home about. I'd rather just have a compact dSLR like a K-x/K-r. K-r + DA 40 = pretty small and light already.

A cut-down format though will be considerably smaller and lighter and be more of a niche product IMO.
05-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Pentax are pretty good, ergonomically - but I still don't think the K-5 is quite as well thought out as my old Minolta A2 (LL loved that too, I seem to remember). Just the right combination of old and new style physical controls, and almost never any need to go into a menu.

I may be wearing rose-tinted specs, of course.
I still have my old Minolta A1- what a great, ground-breaking camera it was. The sensor crapped out on it over a year after I bought it, and Sony replaced the sensor for free.