Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Image Transmitter 2 to be released September 26

Ricoh has announced the release date for the 645z tethering software. It will be available on September 26th.

Here is a link to a Japanese article about it.
http://m.dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140711_657504.html

Hopefully this solution will be made available to more cameras in future.

07-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

+1.

Although it didn't happen with v1 of the same software.
10 times more people would use it if Ricoh released it for the K-3.
07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax actually trickle down stuff if its feasible look at the diffraction correction. Let's hope they do it for the k3 In The future
07-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Pentax actually trickle down stuff if its feasible look at the diffraction correction. Let's hope they do it for the k3 In The future
Wasn't that done in the latest firmware release?

07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Ricoh has announced the release date for the 645z tethering software. It will be available on September 26th.

Here is a link to a Japanese article about it.
http://m.dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140711_657504.html

How does the tethering support get adopted in Adobe Lightroom? It would be super if Ricoh could release tethering for that.. starting with the 645z and trickling down to K-3 and such.. instead of recreating the wheel.
07-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
instead of recreating the wheel.
I sort of agree.

But a stand-alone tool can still work with LR (via watched folders), but may offer more control or other options than what LR tethering offers. And, of course, if they do a LR only solution, then if you use DxO or Capture One or something else, you miss out.
09-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

How does the tethering support get adopted in Adobe Lightroom? It would be super if Ricoh could release tethering for that.. starting with the 645z and trickling down to K-3 and such.. instead of recreating the wheel.
One can "point" LR to the folder where the tethering software delivers the file, and it will automatically be imported to LR according to your presets. Same as for Hasselblads.

- N.

09-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
One can "point" LR to the folder where the tethering software delivers the file, and it will automatically be imported to LR according to your presets. Same as for Hasselblads.

- N.
Clever and logical, thank you for the tip.
09-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I sort of agree.

But a stand-alone tool can still work with LR (via watched folders), but may offer more control or other options than what LR tethering offers. And, of course, if they do a LR only solution, then if you use DxO or Capture One or something else, you miss out.
Cheapy, lame workaround.... even if it does happen to partially function. I don't think that allows one to use presets or the sort as the LR tethering module does or setup ordering in the same way per session.

Ricoh would do well to improve their image (no pun intended haha).. I mean, in this case, when I look at a list of supported cameras, I see no Pentax cameras. I see 28 Canon, 20 Nikon, and a few Leicas. Newbies might see that and think Pentax isn't supported with the software! I mean not just with the nifty tethering module, but in general.

Same goes for dxo or any other software. The details can make or break systems..
09-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

SNIP Newbies might see that SNIP
Not many newbies are using the 645Z. I look forward to more tethering options for more bodies but at the moment it's 645Z only.
09-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Not many newbies are using the 645Z. I look forward to more tethering options for more bodies but at the moment it's 645Z only.
The 645z has little to nothing to do with the discussion we were having (even if the OP was about the 645z) nor with my comments.
09-24-2014, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

The details can make or break systems..
Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Ricoh and Sigma also miss out on full tethering support in Lightroom. (And in Capture One). Pentax isn't alone.
09-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Ricoh and Sigma also miss out on full tethering support in Lightroom. (And in Capture One). Pentax isn't alone.
Obviously this is another way of looking at it, since I pointed out the only 3 on the list. However, It would be fantastic to have Pentax on the list when only Canon, Nikon, and Leica made the cut... don't you feel the same? Out of the box features are a positive point no?

Last edited by mee; 09-25-2014 at 05:37 AM.
09-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

However, It would be fantastic to have Pentax on the list when only Canon, Nikon, and Leica made the cut... don't you feel the same? Out of the box features are a positive point no?
Yes, it would be nice indeed if wired Pentax tethering for the K-3 and all recent pentax bodies worked in Lightroom (and Capture One). But the 'out-of-the-box' support issue with Lightroom and Capture One is up to Adobe and PhaseOne as much as Ricoh, since they own the box.

Probably Ricoh will simply need to pay Adobe decent money to get full LR tethering support to happen within Lightroom.

However even a big, popular camera company like Sony hasn't been able to bribe/convince Adobe or PhaseOne to make full tethering happen. The recent experience of Sony and Capture One is interesting to note. They paid Phase One to create Capture One Express for Sony, but it ships with mere 'hot-folder' support for tethering, not full remote camera control tethering. Sony must have paid for the release of this software, but either Sony figured out 'hot-folder' tethering was enough for most Capture One users, or that it would cost too much to pay PhaseOne to implement full tethering for Sony, even if pros would have welcomed it.

While Pentax users wait for something to happen, at least PKTether wired tethering already works for some Pentax bodies like the K-x and K-5, and works well enough alongside LR with those bodies. Newer bodies like the K-3, alas, need to use other options like the Flucard, or EyeFi fed watched folders within LR.

Last edited by rawr; 09-25-2014 at 06:54 AM.
09-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #15

IMAGE Transmitter 2software

Has anyone found where to get this software? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Pentax site?