Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 08:48 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three new lenses at once

When was the time when somebody saw Pentax presenting three new K mount lenses at once? Not counting DA 645 28-45mm.

I am asking because there is a lot of debate about the future FF camera, the Ricoh strategy for Pentax, and the future of Pentax system in general. And I must confess that I had my own moments when I was asking myself if Pentax was the right choice. Just before Photokina, when it seems that the only new thing in the K system will be the K-S1, I was thinking that maybe it's better to make a change to another, more dynamic, more complete system.

But Photokina has came, and with it, those three new K-mount lenses.

Look at it closely. Not upgraded lenses, not some third party lenses rebranded by Pentax, not new design of some old lenses. But totally new Pentax lenses. Even that their are just unfinished prototypes, they have a meaning, IMO. That things are changing, that Ricoh begin to push the pedal strongly, and it's committed to deliver what they said sometimes before, to bring Pentax in the firsts 3 on the market.

Yes, is a long way forward, a lot of new lenses are needed for a FF system, other new products to compete with Canon and Nikon, and even more to be as dynamic as Sony. Yes, this will not happen in one day, or in one month. But I think that in one year the change will be clear.

Don't you think so? Tell me when was the last time when Pentax has presented three totally new K lenses at once.

09-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with you. There is cause for optimism. Along the way Ricoh may lose some long-time Pentax adherents, but that is often the way progress works. Not all of us will agree on the precise direct Ricoh is taking, but that is OK, too.

To quote (hopefully accurately) Monochrome from the not-so-long-ago, "Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy." Most of us, I think, will be.

Last edited by luftfluss; 09-19-2014 at 09:47 PM.
09-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
When was the time when somebody saw Pentax presenting three new K mount lenses at once? Not counting DA 645 28-45mm.

I am asking because there is a lot of debate about the future FF camera, the Ricoh strategy for Pentax, and the future of Pentax system in general. And I must confess that I had my own moments when I was asking myself if Pentax was the right choice. Just before Photokina, when it seems that the only new thing in the K system will be the K-S1, I was thinking that maybe it's better to make a change to another, more dynamic, more complete system.

Look at it closely. Not upgraded lenses, not some third party lenses rebranded by Pentax, not new design of some old lenses. But totally new Pentax lenses. Even that their are just unfinished prototypes, they have a meaning, IMO. That things are changing, that Ricoh begin to push the pedal strongly, and it's committed to deliver what they said sometimes before, to bring Pentax in the firsts 3 on the market.

Yes, is a long way forward, a lot of new lenses are needed for a FF system, other new products to compete with Canon and Nikon, and even more to be as dynamic as Sony. Yes, this will not happen in one day, or in one month. But I think that in one year the change will be clear.

Don't you think so? Tell me when was the last time when Pentax has presented three totally new K lenses at once.

JimmyD... YOU ARE SO RIGHT. Already throwing coins in fountains here. For the long one first... The 70-whatever can come second...
09-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have also looking to that long one.

09-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can already cover those focal lengths with 36x24 format glass, so it is the appropriately complimentary body I am keenly anticipating.
09-19-2014, 10:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

So far Ricoh has delivered in two years about what pentax/hoya delivered in 4 years.
So far we have seen
K3
645z
1.4 TC
55-300WR
WR flashes
Limited Zoom
New lens coating tech.
and soon, three new lenses.
And all without delay between announcement and planned delivery date.

So far all they have done wrong is put rounded aperture blades on the HD 15ltd and offend sensitive people with LEDs!
Yes they had to choose between a FF and the 645Z to start first, and I think the made the right choice.
Also looking forward to HD update to star lenses.
09-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 16-50, 50-135 and 60-250 were all launched at once according to the image I can conjure up in my brain. That i think was the last big push when pentax was pentax so to speak.

09-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That's not true; the 60-250 was much later than the 16-50 and 50-135. Moreover, it was in the prototype stage for several years
09-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That's not true; the 60-250 was much later than the 16-50 and 50-135. Moreover, it was in the prototype stage for several years
So the picture I have in my brain is of 3 lenses being announced on DP preview. (Anyone with a 250-600 is probably even more keen than a fan like me so you must be right).
09-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The only time (in recent years) when they announced at least 3 new lenses was January 2008, with:
- DA 35mm Limited
- DA* 200mm
- DA* 300mm
- DA 55-300
- DA 18-55 II
But IIRC they had the 16-50, 50-135 and the 60-250 shown under glass - together - before that (the 60-250 as we know was delayed)
I'm using DPReview's Lens Timeline tool, pretty useful for such things.
09-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The specs of the lenses can be assumed from the road map.

Thinking positive, the lenses were not shown because we would get some greater clue about the upcoming next generation of Pentax cameras. If we assume that a fullframe camera is coming, Pentax need to be careful when to spread the news. Telling us today that full frame is coming in the future would put sales of DA lenses basically to zero (at least a sharp drop). A new format requires a couple new lenses to be presented at the same time. I remember when AF cameras came out or when Canon and Minolta changed their mounts. A lot of lenses were required rather soon and presented rapidly. Did anyone notice whether the new red-ring lenses cover larger sensors than the former green ring lenses?

Thinking negative, Pentax is too slow, has not enough capacity or does not care about new lenses that are missing in the lineup.
09-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Don't think negative as you'll miss out on a lot of the positives.

I wonder, though, if this means these two lenses will be released beforehand? That is to say, perhaps we will see these released around CP+ time on the FF prototype body and then, later in the year when the body is released, will see other lenses coming along side it? The tele lenses would work great on APS-C bodies too with the extra crop factor.

The FF body is interesting and eventually I might get it, but I'm more interested in the new lenses I think!
09-20-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA* 60-250 is my favorite...

Yup wish it was a bigger aperture... It's light, focuses brilliantly, takes the HDTC flawlessly, crisp. When my K-3 is on the desk "waiting" for the next opportunity to fly by, the 60-250 is mounted. The TC and 16-50 DA* are 4 feet away.... Standing by.... Gives me a 2 lens kit for most shots.
09-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You're RIGHT!

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote

Pentax isn't just doomed...they're DOOMED!!!

Looking forward to the new stuff. The 16-85 looks fabulous.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-20-2014, 01:04 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
To quote (hopefully accurately) Monochrome from the not-so-long-ago, "Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy." Most of us, I think, will be.

Be of Good Cheer, Pentaxians! Ricoh has a Plan, and you will be Happy!*

* It has been a while, hasn't it?