Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Name for a new DSLR?

Just wondering if Ricoh is going to release another DSLR (APS-C or FF) in a not-so distant future since the price of K-3 was further brought down, will they call it maybe K-9 for a K-mount as they pretty much used all the odd numbers between 1 and 10. Or will they call it K4, K6 hmmm... K8 would be nice as 8 is also a lucky number for some?

So another thought maybe a FF (if they have plan) is not a K-mount? I would like to own an equipment that I can be proud of and I think a catchy name is important I am thinking of a name that will really sell and I could not think of one, LOL!

CaNikon have been using a suf/prefix 'D' to their cameras which are successful, and I'm still not sure what 'D' stands for (too lazy to google).

Cheers!

10-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good chance there will be an 'S' in it somewhere.

---------- Post added 10-25-14 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxino Quote
I'm still not sure what 'D' stands for (too lazy to google).
!
Good chance it means 'DIGITAL'
10-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D for digital I fear, no clever backstory there. And something easy like kf-1 seems to be inevitable, though 'full frame' really is a meaningless moniker by itself so no f I hope. Also no X label please, waay overused right now!

It does seem silly when I cannot tell a camera name from a new Audi or stereo component. I would welcome a new name that sticks in one's head, but that has some risk too. How about 'costanza', that worked in a Seinfeld episode once
10-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxino Quote
Just wondering if Ricoh is going to release another DSLR (APS-C or FF) in a not-so distant future since the price of K-3 was further brought down, will they call it maybe K-9 for a K-mount as they pretty much used all the odd numbers between 1 and 10. Or will they call it K4, K6 hmmm... K8 would be nice as 8 is also a lucky number for some?

So another thought maybe a FF (if they have plan) is not a K-mount? I would like to own an equipment that I can be proud of and I think a catchy name is important I am thinking of a name that will really sell and I could not think of one, LOL!

CaNikon have been using a suf/prefix 'D' to their cameras which are successful, and I'm still not sure what 'D' stands for (too lazy to google).

Cheers!
I believe k-1 is reserved for full frame.... which is not the same as k-01 or k-S1. Using "D" as suffix/prefix in naming convention is too old fashion as it was used to only differentiate from film cameras (digital vs film). I don't think any film cameras are still produced. I also have no particular liking on how Canikony name their cameras as they have too many models and too confusing, just IMHO of course.

10-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Too lazy to google but not too lazy to write a long rumor on the forums and admit you're too lazy to google? haha

btw they will never use '4' in their product naming.. if you are curious, you could google the number 4 and japan
10-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
I see now Steve, 'D' for digital. Had to google 'Costanza', I remember him as always the loser! Haha. You maybe right Aleon, K-1 for the full-frame, yessssssss!

---------- Post added 10-24-14 at 09:26 PM ----------

Hahaha, mee! You're right about the 'lazy' part! I did not google about '4' but I thought of it as a bad luck in some countries like number 13. Some Asian countries do not use '13' hence you would not see 13th Floor in most of their buildings.

Last edited by Pentaxino; 10-24-2014 at 09:28 PM.
10-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Except Ricoh made the GR Digital 4. It depends how superstitious they are, I suppose.

10-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure the next one will be aps-c and called K-3 II
10-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
btw they will never use '4' in their product naming.. if you are curious, you could google the number 4 and japan
Not sure that's a hard and fast rule though.

Pentax Optio 4 is one example ► Pentax Optio S4: Digital Photography Review.
Also Panasonic GH4

Plus many others if you care to look.
10-25-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My guess is they will now start with the K-S series. The K-S1 is now the entry level, probable a K-Sxx for the mid level (k-50 replacement) and a K-Sxxx for the highest APS-C level (K-3 replacement). Who knows.
10-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Except Ricoh made the GR Digital 4. It depends how superstitious they are, I suppose.
And Pentax did an Optio MX4 as well. And optio S4.
Pentax doesn't seem to care much about that. Neither does Nikon.
But some brands do avoid the 4, indeed (at least used alone) e.g. no LX4.
10-25-2014, 03:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The new Full Frame will be called the UniKN, ( Uni being for One, K for K mount and N for new FF ) heard this from the cousin of the neighbour of Ricoh President, so it has credibility. The new UniKN will be out tomorrow, as well this was confirmed. Cheers.
10-25-2014, 04:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It will be called the K-HD-4k-veryWowCamera
10-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Terrible echo in here....
10-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #15

What about K0 or K zero or K-Z, meaning starting from zero again, starting a whole new legacy (of FF) :P