Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #1111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even considering the difference is only 10% the Sigma does seem to be a bit short. And a bit softer in terms of resolution. But then, it is a lot cheaper (but not cheap) so maybe that's what you'd expect. I'd actually hope that a 3rd party lens as expensive as the BIgma would hold up a bit better. You shouldn't be able to see any difference at web size. Fuzzy at web size translates to really fuzzy pixel peeping.

06-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #1112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd actually hope that a 3rd party lens as expensive as the BIgma would hold up a bit better. You shouldn't be able to see any difference at web size. Fuzzy at web size translates to really fuzzy pixel peeping.
Zygonyx said the picture was taken with the first version of the 50-500mm, the current lens is much sharper at full stretch.
06-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #1113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hummm... i hope so, still , and if kenspo is correct it should happen.

Just to show you the "focal difference" btw Sigma EX 50-500 (first version) and Pentax 150-450 (below) at long end & full aperture - the object is at a distance of about 6 meters from me.
AF on the feeding ball.
Don't look too much at the shot quality/framing : handheld, poor light...

Bigma @ f/6.7 500mm

DFA @ f/5.6 450mm
WOW Thanks pal! This is the answer to my question!

I agree with @Mike.P the new 50-500 due to better glass should give better IQ @f6.3 not f6.7 anymore, but I'm sure the focal length (magnification) at the long end still remains almost identical to the DFA! If you stop down the DFA by 1/3 stop then the resolution difference should be more obvious...
06-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #1114
Veteran Member

Well my 150-450mm was shipped from the Netherlands today so hopefully I should have it before the weekend.

It's one of the few lenses I have that I wanted badly enough to pay full price for on release ... the only other being the 60-250mm (and I still don't regret that purchase 6 years later)

06-09-2015, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #1115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Well my 150-450mm was shipped from the Netherlands today so hopefully I should have it before the weekend.

It's one of the few lenses I have that I wanted badly enough to pay full price for on release ... the only other being the 60-250mm (and I still don't regret that purchase 6 years later)
That is really good news!

So I am very interested in your opinion and impressions! I will be watching for your feedback and when you have the opportunity some "metallic birding"!

Enjoy your lens Mike! I'm really excited that at last Pentax provides a high quality super telezoom! I am sure you will confirm this. But since we have more or less the same experience with the Bigma, your opinion will count much in my decision too! (without adding any burden on your shoulders hahahaha).
06-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #1116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
That Sigma is no 500mm lens!
I'll bet he had to move it back for min focus...

BTW: I posted in another thread. LensCOat did the cover for 150-450, did a great job...
06-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #1117

Photos: Gallery
Uh-oh. Early adopter trouble.

Right. I have been using the lens on a daily basis since getting it, and so far I've been extremely happy despite developing a bit of neck/shoulder trouble that now seems to have disappeared. Then today this happened:

The barrel got stuck. Well, stuck... it won't retract past 180mm or so, meaning I can't engage the zoom lock, which is a major pain when you're some 30 km from home and on a bicycle. As luck would have it, today I was usuing my Lowepro Flipside AW 400 bag rather than the laptop bag I normally use, because I was out in The Wild rather than doing urban birding... in its present state, the lens wouldn't fit the laptop bag.

Anyway, going by the feel of the jam, I think a bit of the weather sealing of the zoom barrel got loose and is now preventing the barrel from being fully retracted. I'm not looking forward to having the thing repaired, because just for fun I took out the 300mm + converter a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how extremely cumbersome that combo was compared to the new lens. Urgh, or in the words of the inimitable Jon Spencer:

06-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #1118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
Right. I have been using the lens on a daily basis since getting it, and so far I've been extremely happy despite developing a bit of neck/shoulder trouble that now seems to have disappeared. Then today this happened:

The barrel got stuck. Well, stuck... it won't retract past 180mm or so, meaning I can't engage the zoom lock, which is a major pain when you're some 30 km from home and on a bicycle. As luck would have it, today I was usuing my Lowepro Flipside AW 400 bag rather than the laptop bag I normally use, because I was out in The Wild rather than doing urban birding... in its present state, the lens wouldn't fit the laptop bag.

Anyway, going by the feel of the jam, I think a bit of the weather sealing of the zoom barrel got loose and is now preventing the barrel from being fully retracted. I'm not looking forward to having the thing repaired, because just for fun I took out the 300mm + converter a couple of days ago and couldn't believe how extremely cumbersome that combo was compared to the new lens. Urgh, or in the words of the inimitable Jon Spencer:
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Dang - YouTube
the 300 is like a 50mm after using the 150-450,, I can hold it one handed now like a P&S
did you get it very wet/damp? dust wonder why it stuck, mine is a week or so older than yours --hope it doesn't happen as well ...

---------- Post added 06-11-15 at 12:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

you didn't pay full price you know..cheaper than UK or US where you got it,& don't think price will drop much...my DA300* hasn't in 3 yrs..high end stays high I think
06-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #1119

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
did you get it very wet/damp? dust wonder why it stuck, mine is a week or so older than yours --hope it doesn't happen as well ...
No, but it was a rather warm day. Maybe something expanded and got caught. I'm already dreading the repair time... .
I do seem to have a bit of bad luck with new Pentax teles. My first 300 broke after a couple of weeks, and the replacement wasn't as nicely calibrated as the original one. Now this... May 1st through June 10th. Hmm.

The weather sealing on a big zoom must be a bit of an Achilles heel, though. All that friction...
06-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #1120
Pentaxian

No, but it was a rather warm day. Maybe something expanded and got caught. I'm already dreading the repair time... .
I do seem to have a bit of bad luck with new Pentax teles. My first 300 broke after a couple of weeks, and the replacement wasn't as nicely calibrated as the original one. Now this... May 1st through June 10th. Hmm.

The weather sealing on a big zoom must be a bit of an Achilles heel, though. All that friction...
So now your lens is a non locking 200-450?

This is no good at all for such a high end lens. Did you feel that something was going wrong, or did that suddently happen? I hope it is something you can get easily fixed...
06-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #1121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Precision will do a great job...

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Dang - YouTube

I use Precision for repairs to lenses. They are the warranty station. I don't know who does Europe...If they have the same equipment, You should be pleased...
06-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #1122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I went on the B&H site today and see that they have the Sigma 120-400mm back in stock. Very tempting for about 35% of the price. The Bigma is about $900 less. But the images I am seeing from this lens are pretty impressive.
06-11-2015, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #1123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We own both... and will keep both (2 shooters)

My wife's preferred is the Siggie 120-400, due to weight (lighter construction, smaller objective). She is a 25yr pro, gets good results. I bought her the 150-450 and she sent it back (to me). I was previously using long primes (300-600mm Big aps) and a 60-250 with a 1.4 HDTC (which is better IMHO than the Siggie), but the 150-450 isa bit more crisp (even with 300mm DA* F4)...

I posted a bunch of tripod mounted comparisons between all of the above at different focal lengths) earlier in this thread. Hope they help you on your search...
06-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #1124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GlassJunkie

I did go back and look at your posts. Thanks for pointing it out. I was actually all set to get the Sigma 150-500 when it disappeared from the sites. I have not seen the 120 - 400mm Sigma available for awhile and figured it was out of production too. Kind of caught me by surprise.

One of my problems is that I have spent the last 45 years of my life doing image evaluation from a technical point of view. Both in the photographic and the printing arenas. So like it or not, what always strikes me first is the technical quality of the image before any other factor like subject matter or composition. And to me the Pentax lens seems to be just a bit better. It may be one of those situation where I pay once and cry once.
06-11-2015, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #1125

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
So now your lens is a non locking 200-450?
Exactly.

QuoteQuote:
This is no good at all for such a high end lens. Did you feel that something was going wrong, or did that suddently happen? I hope it is something you can get easily fixed...
Hopefully it's a fluke; I guess every new product comes with a few problems one can't really predict when developing it, and I'm confident it'll be worked out satisfactorily.

It suddenly happened, though in retrospect I do think I thouht the zoom lock button felt a bit weird earlier that day (perhaps seeming to have a bit more resistance to it). I may have totally made that up, though... hindsight isn't necessarliy 20/20.

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
I use Precision for repairs to lenses. They are the warranty station. I don't know who does Europe...If they have the same equipment, You should be pleased...
I have no idea who does the warranty repairs here. I'm guessing the lens will be sent back to the distributor, which IIRC is Pentax France. That's the bit I'm dreading... I have now clue how long I'll have to do without the thing, which is a bit stressful considering it's an item I use daily. Then again, I still have everything I used before I got that thing and managed to survive .
Closed Thread