Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #301

Come on guys!!!!!! We are all getting out of control. October 6 is a rumor, that's it. It's not like Asahiman is the director of he company. They did say that there would be a FF by the end of 2015 but that's change. It happens. Nothing was official to begin with. Unfortunately they will loose a ton of sales to desperate user who need to go FF and want it now. But if there has been a delay I am sure it is because they are using new technology that has set them back. If it were a standard FF like your Nikon 750 or 810 it'd be finished now for sure. So let's presume that this is a good thing and hold on. In the meantime lets go out and take some great shots with what we have. At then end of the day, that's what it's all about....regardless of what gear you have

09-19-2015, 01:43 AM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I find all this anguish very amusing...it is just a camera after all, a gadget. So stop cutting your wrists over the delay of a gadget for your hobby.
Sure, that's the reality. Since satisfaction is the result of the difference between what customers expect and what they get. Customer satisfaction comes from expectation management, ideally, a company would never oversell their products, or they'd offer some goodies on top of expectations. Also, we can always assume that companies are competent or incompetent. Truth be told , there are differences between people, not all sport people are able to achieve the same performance and they do not cost the same, etc... the same goes in the corporate world, it's generally easier for top ranked companies to attract the best talents. On the forum, some claim incompetence, some defend it, but there can be some incompetence, even sometimes due to internal politics, a company is not able to do it right. In corporate life, there's a difference between being economically correct and being politically correct. I've see marketers defining products with zero value, just because they had to define new products to avoid having their job position irrelevant, such things are harmful for the company but possible. In Japan, corporate culture is even more tricky to deal with because employees are not welcome to criticize management decisions, so the big boss decides and everyone has to follow, and when there's a big issue, everyone has to wait to the approval of everyone else to fix it. As for confidentiality excuses regarding delivering infos to markets, most companies I've seen claiming they can't communication to keep secrets have failed. The reason is simple, companies have to keep focus on a strategy that is decided based on their internal capabilities and what others can't do, so even if Pentax was telling their approach to Canon, Canon would not change their product line to copy the Pentax approach. Furthermore, is employees resign from Pentax and go working for Nikon, or Canon, Nikon or Canon will have the internal infos anyway. So all that miss-communication of Pentax with their customer base is just rubbish. All that matter is to manage customers expectation is a good way, always under-promise and over-deliver and everything will be fine. Easy to remember In two words: Expectations Management !

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-19-2015 at 01:55 AM.
09-19-2015, 01:46 AM   #303
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
It is time for me to visit the local Sony dealer.
You are betting on wrong guys. Do not let your anxiousness spoil everything.
Pentax may be late, but not that late to deliver a one of a kind camera and lenses.
What they deliver will blow away anything on the market.
09-19-2015, 01:57 AM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax may be late, but not that late to deliver a one of a kind camera and lenses.
Pls tell us more.

09-19-2015, 02:03 AM   #305

Photos: Albums
Ricoh October 6. officially announces that might actually announce something next spring; or autumn; or...
09-19-2015, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, it won't.
09-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #307
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
Didn't you listen to Uluru? It's all a great conspiracy by RICOH, made of lies and politics to drive away the only ressource they really need: customers!
ROTFL. Indeed.

09-19-2015, 02:56 AM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think we know the reason for the delay -- could be manufacturing problem, a part not available for the price they want, Issues with video codecs, or just getting something like stabilization working correctly in the body. In the end, it doesn't really matter. If you really need full frame now, then get a Sony. You can always sell it when Pentax actually releases a full frame SLR, but it certainly will cover things in the meantime.

Or, you can shoot film (which has its own fun aspects).

As I said before, I am quite disappointed in the delay, but I think it would be a big mistake to release a flawed camera. As much as possible, this needs to be perfect from the get go.

(FA 31 on film)

09-19-2015, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #309
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is clear. We must make 3 subforum

1. Pentoptimistic

2. Pentpessimistic

3.Pentexistist.

09-19-2015, 03:37 AM   #310
Veteran Member

In summary, Asahiman knows it all (?), and the official info from February — market release end of 2015 — could have been disregarded as early as July.

So can we sync this information and come to a conclusion that Ricoh lied all this time: they knew they cannot make it by the end of 2015. If they knew it few months after the official statement, they knew it all along because a company must know its contingencies and take the worst as the guideline.

So, kick the ball until late September, then throw a bone again into the Spring of 2016 backyard, buy more time. If they told it straight away, that the release will be more than 14 months away, people would simply ignore the whole thing. This in translation tells they did not even touch the FF before the 645Z was launched, which was beginning of summer 2014; all they had in February was a plastic mockup — not even a real one.

Three things never changes: politics, lies, and Pentax desperately hoping for a Hail Mary pass. That is exactly what they are doing now.
No, no that really logical. If we were all mature peoples in our mind both the client and Pentax managers, then they could have said something like the real expected date from begining or just saying they'll release when it is ready. And everybody would have been happy.

But many people here are excited about new gear like their whole life depend on it... Like it is the thing they waited for ever for while as soon they get their new toy their joy will fade and they'll want something else. It is a compulsive buying addiction and all camera manufacturers have a big part of their business plan built just arround that.

The obvious objective for many brand that sell this kind of gadget is to control the buying impulse of their customer so they spend their money on the right brand and when the brand is ready to provide them a new gadget.

If you are not an addict, you are able to see this and go on with more important things in life and eventually the next time you are out in the market for replaced your previous camera that failed or just offer you a new toy you see what is available. Even Worse, you may decide to buy 1-3 years after the release at a right time to get exactly the same things as the other but for only a portion of the price.

You may not care of brands except if it make logical sense (invested into the system and so on).
09-19-2015, 03:54 AM   #311
Veteran Member

No capable company misses the planned date by 6 months to "polish bugs", or to "improve". They are not amateurs in that regard, so this is a well calculated and deliberate postponement. More likely spring of 2016 was always their goal.

But they needed to buy 6 months. They buy them in October, by launching a pentax.com (!) website with a teaser for spring. They will show in front of the world they are working on FF, a real camera, and with a few new lenses.

When the launch is postponed for FY 2016 in Japan, it is clearer they had planned this, and is not a delay for "fixing bugs".
Ahahah you are really candid. Companies miss deadline all the time. That's part of doing business. You need to commit to tight deadline to get the project, to convince stakeholders and so on... And then you announce that you are late... Everybody what expecting it but if you had said the truth for the begining lunatics would have never never invested in it because they can't afford the truth. Other expect irrealistic dates because everybody does it and so compute the real date from this. if you put the real date, they are confused because they still add their margin to it.

All true... But reality is that you are also LATER than you expected yourself !

In my city the metro was late by 15 years. The latest nuclear power plant project by Areva is going to be late 6 years (if no longer) and cost has been multiplied by 3. (3 billions => 10 billions). In the company I work for, we make software and a new feature we developped got 1 year late because it worked perfectly but was consumming too much CPU/memory. At that moment the team that was supposed to upgrade the servers hardware was late on schedule (and still didn't upgrade them 2 years afters and may not for the next 2 years) and so it was faster to spend hundred day of work to optimize the software more. Still our clients don't care and what they saw is that they got the feature 1 year late.

This happen all the time, everywhere. As long there a project people will try to evaluate it. Some will be too optimistics, they will be unknown issues and things will be late.
09-19-2015, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do love these threads. Very healthy for my ignore list. I wonder if there is a limit to how many can be added?
09-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #313
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Did you sell the FA31 that you won here?
Yes and also the 31mm I already had myself.
09-19-2015, 06:39 AM - 4 Likes   #314
Veteran Member

Ricoh is after buying RED..might be a connection here. But i can't confirm, cause no one wants to talk about this bit. So this info is from others..
09-19-2015, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #315
Inactive Account

Fstoppers also posted about the teaser. Funny enough, nobody there speaks about any disappointment or delay. The article itself as well as their reader comments are genuinely more excited about the news. Crazy huh, that others read this as exciting news while the pentaxians here are close to kermitting swagside. https://fstoppers.com/gear/pentax-full-frame-camera-finally-its-way-86812