Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 & wireless flash

I've just order the K-1 and I wonder how to wireless control the FZG540 flash.
I used to put the flash in a soft box and activate with the build in flash on my K3 and K5II

04-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kngraphic Quote
I've just order the K-1 and I wonder how to wireless control the FZG540 flash.
I used to put the flash in a soft box and activate with the build in flash on my K3 and K5II
Do you need P-TTL or do you know your away around studio lighting (manual)? If you use manual mode, then almost any generic radio trigger will work. The industry standard is pocket wizards, but even the newer cactus triggers have proven to be pretty reliable. Just set on in the hotshoe, one on the flash and get shooting. If you need P-TTL, then you'll need the rare P-TTL capable radio triggers of which I believe there are only 2. Or you can get yourself another P-TTL capable hotshoe flash like the 360 or 540, or 3rd party, that is capable of being a master or controller flash. Then you can use that like you did before with the pop up.
04-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks enoeske
Do you know the name of P-TTL capable radio triggers for Pentax and where to buy it
04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks enoeske
Do you know the name of P-TTL capable radio triggers for Pentax and where to buy it
I think there is, not sure if there are others

Acon
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/300794-acon-r...8000-sync.html

Aokatec
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/236326-aokate...-triggers.html

04-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Aside from Acon and Aokatec, there is also the pro-grade Priolite radio flash/trigger system:
1/4000th FLASH SYNC ON 645Z WITH PRIOLITE

04-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks enoeske
Cactus V6 will trigger pentax flashes, studio flash, or even Canon and Nikon flashes at the same time. I even tried it on my Pentax ME Super and was able to trigger the studio flash which I was quite happy about. I did a test and had no problem triggering my friends 3rd party (Yuongnuo 560 II) flash made for Canon.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 | CACTUS

easily found on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cactus+v6

My only complaint is they aren't made like tanks, but for the price they do the job and I'm happy with them.
04-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Cactus V6 will trigger pentax flashes, studio flash, or even Canon and Nikon flashes at the same time. I even tried it on my Pentax ME Super and was able to trigger the studio flash which I was quite happy about. I did a test and had no problem triggering my friends 3rd party flash made for Canon.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 | CACTUS

Cactus V6 & RF60 demo & testing - YouTube

easily found on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cactus+v6

My only complaint is they aren't made like tanks, but for the price they do the job and I'm happy with them.
Those are not P-TTL capable.

04-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Those are not P-TTL capable.
But they will let him manually dial and adjust the flash without cables. The OP didn't say it had to be P-TTL compatible, just that he could use his flashes wirelessly which this would definitely do.
04-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

But they will let him manually dial and adjust the flash without cables. The OP didn't say it had to be P-TTL compatible, just that he could use his flashes wirelessly which this would definitely do.
I asked if he wanted P-TTL or Manual. He asked about the P-TTL triggers. I think it's a safe assumption that he is looking for P-TTL wireless.
04-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not P-TTL but I've been very satisfied using the Paul C Buff CyberSync system. If you have any of their studio strobes, you can control all the settings directly from their Cyber Commander, which is extremely convenient both in studio and the field. Manual is just about the only way I use flash. The Commander even has a built-in light meter that is quite capable. A lot of of bang for the buck with their products, great customer service, and made in the good ol' US of A. I can't justify the sky high prices of Pocket Wizard triggers, Elinchrom et al strobes, or Sekonic meters. I feel l get just as good performance for much cheaper from PCB gear. I'm sure this will come across as an unsolicited endorsement but I truly am a fan.

---------- Post added 04-29-16 at 10:59 PM ----------

Should add that I use the CyberSync Receiver Plus (battery) to trigger my Pentax AF540 as well as old Nikon hot shoe flashes.
04-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are any number of manual flash radio triggers, including the Cactus v5 and v6 which I use. For P-TTL the options are very limited.

It is very curious to me that Pentax remove the on-board flash yet do not provide a simple way to trigger remote flashes using optical P-TTL. I had half expected the K-1 to include a radio trigger. Seems a bit of a step back for those using P-TTL.

Means nothing to me, I greatly prefer the GPS unit on-board and don't think I have ever used P-TTL, I prefer all manual flash. But some people are going to have a need for a small, cheap optical trigger.
04-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
. The OP didn't say it had to be P-TTL compatible,
Yep, post 3 he asks for P-TTL triggers.