Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Theta with 4k coming? AKA is the Q discontinued......

New Ricoh Theta camera rumored to be announced soon | Pentax Rumors

Last edited by D1N0; 07-07-2016 at 04:21 AM. Reason: pica
07-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photokina is coming!
07-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Chances are good.
I talked to a representative on a Pentax K-1 Presentation and he claimed that there will be two new Thetas.
One more capable product with Weather Sealing and a cheaper version.
Both were to be announced at the end of the year.

(He also said, that Pentax will no longer support the Q-Lineup)
07-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tau-Ceti Quote
so they are dropping the entire Q-line? Or just outside Japan?

07-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If that's true, then I'm genuinely disappointed - though not at all surprised. Oh well... Plenty of life left in my Q & Q7, and I don't really need any more lenses!
07-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Forum Member

No idea. Remember that this was not an "official Statement". Perhaps they thought about it, perhaps that consideration already vanished. I guess a question on the next Photokina would answer that.
He just said, that 4 Camera systems are to much for the company and therefore the Q line will cease.
Well, i doubt that Ricoh is in any financial trouble, so i doubt that.
However, does anyone know the sales statistics of the Q Line?
07-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
Banned

No idea. Remember that this was not an "official Statement". Perhaps they thought about it, perhaps that consideration already vanished. I guess a question on the next Photokina would answer that.
He just said, that 4 Camera systems are to much for the company and therefore the Q line will cease.
Well, i doubt that Ricoh is in any financial trouble, so i doubt that.
That is news, dropping the Q-line. Not to surprising, but for users some dissapointment. The Q sales are probably going down for some time, since Q doesn't offer a lot more image quality over the newest smartphone. Tendensy is going to a bigger sensor. No real hard sales figures came across that I have seen over 2015 or 2016.

07-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't, but anecdotally I believe it was only truly successful in Japan, with modest sales elsewhere...
07-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chances are good.
I talked to a representative on a Pentax K-1 Presentation and he claimed that there will be two new Thetas.
One more capable product with Weather Sealing and a cheaper version.
Both were to be announced at the end of the year.

A weather-sealed Theta with 360-degree 4K video would be a home run for Ricoh. Even without 4K that'd be a pretty good product.
07-06-2016, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were Ricoh (resources being limited at the margin) I'd trade Q development for K-1, FF lenses and first-mover advantage in 360 (Theta) every day of the week.
07-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I were Ricoh (resources being limited at the margin) I'd trade Q development for K-1, FF lenses and first-mover advantage in 360 (Theta) every day of the week.
Despite being a big fan of the Q platform, I'd have to agree...
07-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would rather see Pentax K3 mark3 or whatever other model to come with some upgraded videography features like 4K, better video codec, Focus peaking and sensor sift shake reduction enabled, as well as clean HDMI out, mic and headphone jacks and a vary angle LCD. On stills photography side I have almost no complains, maybe I would like to see higher flash sync speeds. And that would make me a lot more happy than seeing yet another Theta. But I guess Theta has good sales so hopefully it will help Ricoh Pentax to introduce more features to DSLRs as well.

Honestly I think it is good that Q line is being dropped (assuming it is true), from majority of photography products on the market Q line made less sense than most of interchangeable lens cameras available. I mean the sensor in the Q line is just too small to be a long lasting line, Q line with 4/3 sensor would make more sense, but then, APS-C, 35mm FF and Medium Format mirror-less would be a better choice for long term productions.

Hopefully if the rumor is true and Q line is dropped, more effort will go into improving on weak points of Pentax DSLR brand. Now since the Pentax FF is available, only few areas left to improve, focusing system, faster lenses for FF models and videography section. Lacking video features is now the only thing that is not making sales better. Other than that Pentax is very attractive line of products. I think that Pentax shouldn;t have anything lower than KS-2/K-70 and should probably again look into mirror-less high end cameras with bigger sensors. Q was fun and nice concept, but nowadays it is either bigger sensor cam or it is a cellphone.
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The 360fly 4K is already selling.
07-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The 360fly 4K is already selling.
So is the Samsung Gear 360 Samsung Gear 360 - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site So Ricoh better Hurry. The Theta wasn't originally developed for video.
07-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

I think it's highly likely that the Q line is going to be discontinued. I saw this blog post the other week (in Japanese).

PENTAX Q???????????????? ? PENTAX Q?????????????????3???? - LOVE PENTAXYZ

The basic gist of the article is that if you look at the pattern of the price drop in the Q, it looks very much like other discontinued products, and that this applies not just to the camera, but also to the lenses. The latter part of the article is a kind of tribute.

They sold a lot of Q's in Japan, but not at very high prices, and I don't think they saw much potential to sell lenses too that crowd. A good example is the wide-angle zoom. That was a high quality lens, but it doesn't seem to have sold well at all, based on the lack of reports from owners on this site. In fact I can't remember ever seeing an editorial review of the lens. They probably looked at this and decided that there is not much potential in the system as a whole.

It's a bit sad, but I could not recommend anyone buy into the Q at the moment without seeing some signs of life.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So is the Samsung Gear 360 Samsung Gear 360 - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site So Ricoh better Hurry. The Theta wasn't originally developed for video.
I'm not so sure about that. I saw the prototype (hammerhead) version of what would become Theta at CP+ 2013. It was a working prototype, with a working smartphone app. I asked the rep about video, and he was quite certain about it. He said it was coming, but not in the first version. So I'm pretty sure video was a key part of the Theta concept from the development stages.